Travel advice needed Auckland area

Old October 8th, 2006, 01:35 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
KG

Default Travel advice needed Auckland area

In early December we will be returning to NZ. for a few weeks, flying into Auckland. We would like
suggestions on good car rental business and a inexpensive but comfortable motel or hostel to spend
the first night. We will be running about North Island for two weeks then down to Wellington to
pick up our son who lives there. Then onward to South Island with our son in tow to show him the
sights of your beautiful country that he has never seen such as Queens town, Milford sound, etch.
over the last few years we have spent many months in South Island so we are relatively familiar
with things, but new ideas for South Island would be appreciated.
Old October 19th, 2006, 04:44 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Ben[_2_]

I was in Auckland last may and was very happy with Auckland
International YHA. Cheap, well run, and very well situated to downtown.
(Right off Queen Street.)

I didn't rent a car when I was there, but I would expect that you could
get a better deal away from the airport.

Ben

Old November 24th, 2006, 03:13 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
rchanson

We travelled both the N & S Islands in Nov 2005. We rented a car
through Ace Car rentals which we found on the web. Toyota Corolla's
imported used from Japan. There are several car rental companies that
you can find on the web. Most of these rental agencies are set up so
that you turn in one car in Wellington and then after you take the
ferry you pick up a new car in Picton.

As for places to stay, we stayed at the BBH hostels. All hostels are
called Backpackers in NZ. Don't let that put you off. Many people
with rental cars stay at these. The quality varies but their guide
which is online lists these ratings.
http://www.backpack.co.nz/ Is their website.
We stayed at a few which were equivalent to very good bed & breakfasts
except you had to cook your own breakfast. Especially I can recommend
Moana Lodge in Plimmerton which is just outside Wellington. This is by
far the best hostel (in the BBH network) in the Wellington area. Also
we stayed at a place called Beaconstone Lodge on the W coast of the S
island. It is S of Westport. It is totally solar powered but
wonderful. These places have ratings in the 90's in the BBH guide.
You need to make reservations a few days in advance.

As for arriving in Auckland, there are several hostels there. Be sure
they have a place to park your car, some don't. We stayed at a place
called Bamber House which was OK. Good to have a reservation for when
you arrive.