Passport requirement confusion

Old January 24th, 2007, 04:29 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
TNSAF

Default Passport requirement confusion

Greg Rozelle wrote:
...Also, why has the news not mentioned you can apply for the Nexus if
your a Canadian or United States Citizen or a Sentri If your a
Citizen of Mexico or United States? This cost is $50.00 compared to
$97.00 for a passport.

Except that the Nexus card is only good for 5 years a US passport for 10
years. A Nexus card is only good between Canada and the US a passport is
good for travel to most of the world.

Old January 24th, 2007, 04:51 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Rog'

"TNSAF" wrote:
Greg Rozelle wrote:
...Also, why has the news not mentioned you can apply for the Nexus
if you're a Canadian or United States Citizen, or a Sentri if you're a
Citizen of Mexico or United States? This cost is $50.00 compared
to $97.00 for a passport.

Except that the Nexus card is only good for 5 years a US passport
for 10 years. A Nexus card is only good between Canada and the
US a passport is good for travel to most of the world.

I do not fathom the reluctance that many of my fellow USA'ers have
to spending the little amout of time and money to pick up a license to
travel the globe, which is good (as this poster points out) for 10 years
at a clip. To me, its a no-brainer. =R=

Old January 24th, 2007, 01:50 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sechumlib

Old January 24th, 2007, 03:56 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Hatunen

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 23:51:52 -0500, "Rog'"
wrote:

"TNSAF" wrote:
Greg Rozelle wrote:
...Also, why has the news not mentioned you can apply for the Nexus
if you're a Canadian or United States Citizen, or a Sentri if you're a
Citizen of Mexico or United States? This cost is $50.00 compared
to $97.00 for a passport.

Except that the Nexus card is only good for 5 years a US passport
for 10 years. A Nexus card is only good between Canada and the
US a passport is good for travel to most of the world.

I do not fathom the reluctance that many of my fellow USA'ers have
to spending the little amout of time and money to pick up a license to
travel the globe, which is good (as this poster points out) for 10 years
at a clip. To me, its a no-brainer. =R=

That's becasue you like to travel the globe and can apparently
afford it and cannot fathom how many Americans don't want to
travel the globe, or would like to but never will.

Old January 24th, 2007, 05:38 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Doug Smith W9WI

Rog' wrote:
I do not fathom the reluctance that many of my fellow USA'ers have
to spending the little amout of time and money to pick up a license to
travel the globe, which is good (as this poster points out) for 10 years
at a clip. To me, its a no-brainer. =R=

For a family of any size that can add up quickly. I can see the cost of
passports exceeding the cost of travel, for those near the border
wishing to visit Canada or Mexico. (or for Canadians wishing to visit
the US) For many families a few hundred $$ in passport fees is not
chicken feed!

--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Old January 24th, 2007, 08:25 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sechumlib

On 2007-01-24 12:38:31 -0500, Doug Smith W9WI said:

For a family of any size that can add up quickly. I can see the cost
of passports exceeding the cost of travel, for those near the border
wishing to visit Canada or Mexico. (or for Canadians wishing to visit
the US) For many families a few hundred $$ in passport fees is not
chicken feed!

1. If "a few hundred $$ in passport fees is not chicken feed", how can
they afford to take vacation trips abroad at all?

2. If they live near the border with "the cost of passports exceeding
the cost of travel", that's only if it's calculated based on one trip.
They're more likely to make multiple trips, and they don't have to get
a new passport each time.

Old January 25th, 2007, 09:46 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Hatunen

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 15:25:09 -0500, sechumlib

On 2007-01-24 12:38:31 -0500, Doug Smith W9WI said:

For a family of any size that can add up quickly. I can see the cost
of passports exceeding the cost of travel, for those near the border
wishing to visit Canada or Mexico. (or for Canadians wishing to visit
the US) For many families a few hundred $$ in passport fees is not
chicken feed!

1. If "a few hundred $$ in passport fees is not chicken feed", how can
they afford to take vacation trips abroad at all?

Not everyone crosses the Mexican or Canadian border on a vacation
trip. Around here it may jsut be to visit relatives.

2. If they live near the border with "the cost of passports exceeding
the cost of travel", that's only if it's calculated based on one trip.
They're more likely to make multiple trips, and they don't have to get
a new passport each time.

But when you don't have much money it can be difficult to scrape
togetehr the up front amount. Most of us posting here live a
priveleged life in that regard.

Old January 25th, 2007, 10:29 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Rog'

"Hatunen" wrote:
Not everyone crosses the Mexican or Canadian border on
a vacation trip. Around here it may jsut be to visit relatives.
... when you don't have much money it can be difficult to
scrape togetehr the up front amount. Most of us posting here
live a priveleged life in that regard.

Alright, it was insensitive of me to suggest that someone who
frequently cross over for family or business reasons, with no
intent to tour anywhere else, should get a passport, anyway.
I was thinking primarily of those who consider it an adventure
to go to Toronto, Vancouver, Cancun, Cabo and the like.
=R=

Old January 25th, 2007, 10:55 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dave Smith

Hatunen wrote:
1. If "a few hundred $$ in passport fees is not chicken feed", how can
they afford to take vacation trips abroad at all?

Not everyone crosses the Mexican or Canadian border on a vacation
trip. Around here it may jsut be to visit relatives.

I live near the border. A lot of people around her cross the border
regularly for work, shopping, going out for dinner or shows and concerts
and to visit friends and family. My son's high school had a ski club that
used to go down to Ellicotville NY every Friday night. It is a lot closer
than the nearest ski facility on this side of the border.

2. If they live near the border with "the cost of passports exceeding
the cost of travel", that's only if it's calculated based on one trip.
They're more likely to make multiple trips, and they don't have to get
a new passport each time.

But when you don't have much money it can be difficult to scrape
togetehr the up front amount. Most of us posting here live a
priveleged life in that regard.

It is a needless expense. We have had a mutual exemption for passports for
years. This is a reaction to an act of terrorism carried out by a bunch of
Saudis with passports.
Old January 25th, 2007, 11:37 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sechumlib

On 2007-01-25 17:55:01 -0500, Dave Smith said:

Hatunen wrote:
[...]

Pity-poo! Somehow, I'm left completely unsympathetic to Dave Smith and
family having to put out a little more money to continue their
recreational visits to the US.

I know this sounds insensitive. Frankly, I don't care. The US
government has decided it is more secure to have passports presented at
the border. Right or wrong, it's their prerogative to do so. Anyone who
doesn't want to live with that constraint can simply quit visiting.