So who's made an effort ...

Old April 12th, 2013, 07:49 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Frank Hucklenbroich

Default So who's made an effort ...

Am Thu, 11 Apr 2013 12:00:40 -0700 schrieb EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque):

I once had an amusing experience trying to communicate with a
chambermaid in my Vienna hotel - seems she was Slavic, and spoke no more
German than I did!

Thats quite typical, most staff in European Hotels are foreigners, as it's
one of the jobs that don't require good local language skills.

Regards,

Frank
Old April 12th, 2013, 08:31 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 07:44:51 +0100, David Horne wrote in post :
:

I would like to learn Arabic at the moment, as I do like to visit Arabic
speaking countries and wonder if the experience wouldn't be enhanced by
a little understanding of the language...

Understanding what all the local beggars are calling out to you in the
street may not enhance your holiday :-)

--
Tim C. Linz, Austria.
Old April 12th, 2013, 08:42 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne[_2_]

Tim C. wrote:

On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 07:44:51 +0100, David Horne wrote in post :
:

I would like to learn Arabic at the moment, as I do like to visit Arabic
speaking countries and wonder if the experience wouldn't be enhanced by
a little understanding of the language...

Understanding what all the local beggars are calling out to you in the
street may not enhance your holiday :-)

Hah!

(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
"[Do you think the world learned anything from the first
world war?] No. They never learn." -Harry Patch (1898-2009)
Old April 12th, 2013, 08:50 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne[_2_]

Erilar wrote:

poldy wrote:

[]
Maybe typical American arrogance, to expect others to cater to them,
including learning English -- though arguably, Southern Europeans would
do well to learn English to enhance their marketability in various
professions (not limited to tourism trades).

When I don't need English, I don't use it because I've seen too much such
arrogance and don't like being considered a citizen of their version of my
country.

I think it's more complex than that. What language will the average,
say, Finn use when communicating with a waiter in a Hungarian
restaurant? I bet it's English. The Finn isn't being 'arrogant', simply
practical.

Old April 12th, 2013, 09:09 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne[_2_]

Martin wrote:

On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 08:50:31 +0100, (David Horne)
wrote:

Erilar wrote:

poldy wrote:

[]
Maybe typical American arrogance, to expect others to cater to them,
including learning English -- though arguably, Southern Europeans would
do well to learn English to enhance their marketability in various
professions (not limited to tourism trades).

When I don't need English, I don't use it because I've seen too much such
arrogance and don't like being considered a citizen of their version of my
country.

I think it's more complex than that. What language will the average,
say, Finn use when communicating with a waiter in a Hungarian
restaurant? I bet it's English. The Finn isn't being 'arrogant', simply
practical.

Assuming the waiter is Hungarian, the waiter might understand a Finn
speaking Finnish :-) There are similarities between the languages.

I believe they're mutually unintelligible (for practical purposes)
despite being part of the same group...

Old April 12th, 2013, 09:17 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman[_3_]

On Friday, April 12, 2013 8:21:50 AM UTC+1, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 08:46:44 +0200, Frank Hucklenbroich

wrote:

Am Thu, 11 Apr 2013 17:21:36 +0000 (UTC) schrieb Bert:

I studied French and German in school, and have had little opportunity

to use either. I was able to read signs, menus and the like when I

traveled in Austria and Germany, but neither language was of much use in

The Netherlands or Norway.

In the Netherlands you can get around with German, the two languages are

not so different from each other and most dutch people understand basic

German. You will also be able to read menus or roadsigns.

That's true, but you do better using English. The Dutch have long

memories

--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Absoluut!
Old April 12th, 2013, 11:09 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
bill

wrote:

Am Thu, 11 Apr 2013 17:21:36 +0000 (UTC) schrieb Bert:

I studied French and German in school, and have had little opportunity
to use either. I was able to read signs, menus and the like when I
traveled in Austria and Germany, but neither language was of much use in
The Netherlands or Norway.

In the Netherlands you can get around with German,

In the Netherlands you'd be better off using English, Germans aren't
popular...
Old April 12th, 2013, 11:28 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 08:42:46 +0100, David Horne wrote in post :
:

Tim C. wrote:

On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 07:44:51 +0100, David Horne wrote in post :
:

I would like to learn Arabic at the moment, as I do like to visit Arabic
speaking countries and wonder if the experience wouldn't be enhanced by
a little understanding of the language...

Understanding what all the local beggars are calling out to you in the
street may not enhance your holiday :-)

Hah!

Seriously though, I expect it would help. When I try and learn a
language - or even just a few words, or browse through a newspaper in
Rheto-Romanic - it gives me a very small insight into the people and
culture. Very small.
--
Tim C. Linz, Austria.
Old April 12th, 2013, 12:35 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
S Viemeister[_2_]

wrote:

Am Thu, 11 Apr 2013 17:21:36 +0000 (UTC) schrieb Bert:

I studied French and German in school, and have had little opportunity
to use either. I was able to read signs, menus and the like when I
traveled in Austria and Germany, but neither language was of much use in
The Netherlands or Norway.

In the Netherlands you can get around with German, the two languages are
not so different from each other and most dutch people understand basic
German. You will also be able to read menus or roadsigns.

That's true, but you do better using English. The Dutch have long
memories

I had no trouble using German - but my accent made it obvious that I
wasn't a native speaker. This was in the 60s, when English wasn't as
much spoken as it is now. I spoke in German, and was answered in Dutch.
Old April 12th, 2013, 01:52 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Frank Hucklenbroich

Am Fri, 12 Apr 2013 09:31:56 +0200 schrieb Tim C.:

On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 07:44:51 +0100, David Horne wrote in post :
:

I would like to learn Arabic at the moment, as I do like to visit Arabic
speaking countries and wonder if the experience wouldn't be enhanced by
a little understanding of the language...

Understanding what all the local beggars are calling out to you in the
street may not enhance your holiday :-)

But imagine their surprise when they realize that you understand them...
Could be well worth it ;-)

SCNR,

Frank