Balconies, a theory

Old June 13th, 2005, 12:49 AM
Benjamin Smith

Default Balconies, a theory

Nothing that hasn't been said before, just fitting in with my "back to
basics" theory. Why do so many people love balconies? I think it is a
portal to the sea/ship/human relationship. And it is your own, to
experience it how you want, day or night sensations. To be enjoyed any
time, no competition with anyone else. They are a version of deck space.

Ben S.

Old June 13th, 2005, 01:00 AM
Surfer E2468

We do not love balconies,they take up the space you used to have on a
cruise ship where you could sit and look at the ocean,if we wanted to be
on a balcony by ourselves,we would take a land vacation.

Old June 13th, 2005, 01:24 AM
Tom K

To me, there is much more.

It takes away a lot of the claustrophobic feel of a tiny cabin. Even with a
window... there is a feeling (at least in my brain) of total confinement.
With a balcony... you break that feeling of confinement.

To me, there is an emotional, a mental feeling far beyond a version of deck
space.

--Tom

Old June 13th, 2005, 01:41 AM
Benjamin Smith

Surfer E2468 wrote:

We do not love balconies,they take up the space you used to have on a
cruise ship where you could sit and look at the ocean,if we wanted to be
on a balcony by ourselves,we would take a land vacation.

I feel like you do, I prefer public deck space. I think even with all of
the features of cruise ships and convenience of anytime eateries, there
may remain the longing for the human/ship/sea relationship/experience in
the form of "private balconies" as opposed to public deck space.
Old June 13th, 2005, 01:46 AM
How B

Benjamin Smith wrote:
Nothing that hasn't been said before, just fitting in with my "back to
basics" theory. Why do so many people love balconies?

Fresh, humidified air. Before balconies, I always had the stuffy
nose/dry throat syndrome after just a couple of nights of breathing the
recirculated air. Now I can crack the door and not deal with the
respiratory issues.

How B

Old June 13th, 2005, 02:26 AM
mrtravel

Surfer E2468 wrote:
We do not love balconies,they take up the space you used to have on a
cruise ship where you could sit and look at the ocean,if we wanted to be
on a balcony by ourselves,we would take a land vacation.

Not entirely true.
For the most part, there were a lot of ocean view cabins that had no
deck space next to them. On my last trip on the Constellation, with many
balconies, I saw quite a bit of deck space that was sparsely used.
Old June 13th, 2005, 04:43 AM
Sue and Kevin Mullen

Benjamin Smith wrote:
Nothing that hasn't been said before, just fitting in with my "back to
basics" theory. Why do so many people love balconies? I think it is a
portal to the sea/ship/human relationship. And it is your own, to
experience it how you want, day or night sensations. To be enjoyed any
time, no competition with anyone else. They are a version of deck space.

Hi Ben,

First I want to say it was very nice meeting you and your wife. I hope
to convince you to sail on the SGC2006, remember a group cruise is all
about the people you sail with.

Now to the question. We enjoy having a balcony so we can step outside
and watch the ocean or see what the weather is like. It is also nice
to have to sit out there when one of us is waiting for the other to
get showered, dressed etc. It is also a quiet place that we can sit
for awhile and talk about what we want to do next or to talk about
what we have done that day. We always say we will have breakfast
there, but for some reason that just doesn't happen. We don't use our
balcony as much as some people do, but we still enjoy having it.

sue
Old June 13th, 2005, 06:51 AM
Brian K

On 06/12/2005 11:43 PM Sue and Kevin Mullen while holding "court",
exclaimed:

Benjamin Smith wrote:

[...]

I agree. My sister and I share a cabin. The balcony adds extra space
where one of us can wait while the other changes. It's nice having a
space all our own where we don't have to compete for lounge chairs as
one does at the pool. One time we had a pre-dinner appetizer of shrimp
cocktails on the balcony. What's also nice is we can sit out there in
our pajamas and watch the sun rise and then go back to bed until 8:00
am. When was the last time you went out on a public deck in your
pajamas to watch the sun rise? Not very likely unless you sleep in
sweats or scrubs.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera

Old June 13th, 2005, 08:36 AM

A cabin with a balcony? If you can afford it...

Over the years... I have sailed on troop transports... LST's...
aircrat carriers... sailing vessels... private motor vessels
(stink pots)... freighters... much less the Royal Suite on
Holland America's Statendam.

Trust me... there ain't no other way to go! (smile)

Bill