Kenya animal migration

Old September 12th, 2006, 07:16 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
ngeresa

Default Kenya animal migration

Its not dangerous are you coming to Kenya or are you going to bagdad
IRAQ?I live in Kenya and actually tourist areas have security.

We have secure streets and good hotels but sharing a room with a
stranger any where in the world is not safe. A stranger is a person you
dont know never spent time with,not your friend which means you dont
know him or her.

Its not wise at all to share a room with a stranger.

Mombasa beaches are safe.

Note: Its alwasy unsafe when you are walking alone in the night or
streets that look deserted.

Paul Ngeresa
Tour Consultant
Destination Connect Ltd
www.destination-connect.com

mazda610328 wrote:
Wow~ scary and shock. Thanks for everyone's warning.
I am thinking to bring whistle, gas gun, buying more insurance........
Actually, that's how I lost my travel partner. My girlfriend's mom said
it's dangerous there and tried her best to stop my friend and I thought
it's ridiculous.

How about Mombasa? Is it safe to walk around? If the answer is no, I
might consider ending my trip in Safari and come back home earlier.

Does it mean sharing room with stranger would mostly end up an aweful
experience?

Thanks,
Eunice

Old September 12th, 2006, 12:53 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Hans-Georg Michna

On 11 Sep 2006 07:48:48 -0700, mazda610328 wrote:

How about Mombasa? Is it safe to walk around? If the answer is no, I
might consider ending my trip in Safari and come back home earlier.

Eunice,

not as bad as Nairobi, but Mombasa is not crime-free.

My recommendation would be to walk through the old city without
carrying anything. Have a little money in your pocket and enjoy.

Does it mean sharing room with stranger would mostly end up an aweful
experience?

The chance is 50-50 (:-)

I would never do it, because of the risk of having someone too
close that has some disturbing characteristic. But that's just
me.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.
Old September 12th, 2006, 12:53 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Hans-Georg Michna

For what it's worth, I think the itinerary is good. Of course
the time is too short, but it may just work out well.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.
Old September 12th, 2006, 04:40 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Liz Leyden

In message .com
Paul Ngeresa Tour Consultant wrote:

We have secure streets and good hotels but sharing a room with a
stranger any where in the world is not safe.

It would be interesting to know the relative figures, raw and
proportionate of people robbed/attacked in Nairobi compared to people
robbed/attacked by strangers with whom they had to share on safaris.

A stranger is a person you dont know never spent time with, not your
friend which means you dont know him or her.

True, but I know a lot of 'former friends' who fell out on holiday and
never fell back in again.

Its not wise at all to share a room with a stranger.

In that case, since you're in the trade, you might do something to
persuade the lodges to stop the ridiculously high single supplements
in high season. I was sharing this year to avoid the supplement,
despite the fact that none of the lodges we stayed at were full. Even
the tented camp, Siana Intrepids, might not have been totally full,
but I didn't actually see any unused tents.

In my view the only justification for single supplements is if a place
is full, therefore they might have let the room one person is
occupying to two people. Even then, they might prefer to have one
person booking and paying 'up front' months in advance rather than the
off-chance that a couple might book late. If rooms are empty, just
think, they might have let them to a solo travellers if it weren't for
the single supplement, so they have shot themselves in the foot.

Slainte

Liz

--
http://www.v-liz.com - Kenya; Tanzania; Namibia; India; Galapagos
Photo Gallery:

Old September 12th, 2006, 10:14 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Pat Anderson

Well said Liz re the annoyance of single supplements!
I didn`t know that you had been to Kenya this year! I hope you had a
lovely safari and Hakuna matata.
Pat

In message , Liz Leyden
writes

Old September 25th, 2006, 03:01 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
[email protected]

I didn't make my Safari trip in Kenya 4 days prior to departure. Safari
operator cancelled the trip because other people in the shared package
called off. They can't find another group for me from other agent and I
refused to pay additional $1000 to have a private tour.

The worst thing is I might have risk to get 100% refund. Need some
help/advise how I could get my $$ back (US$2000+). All the contact is
via email confirmation and the company didn't mentioned a word of
cancellation fee before I wired the $$ to its bank acct.

Below is the recent emails I had with the safari operator ('Wildwatch
Safaris), a certified agent in Kenya. I can't believe it would end up
with this, no vacation and might lose $$.

Eunice
Hi xxx,

My bank account info as below:
xxxxxxxxxxxx
Please confirm it would be 100% refund ($2157) since your company
cancelled the safari trip in Kenya in last minutes (Sept. 20) when
original departure is on Sept. 24.

Please also understand I've already absorb loss of more than US$180 and
lots of time I invested: 1)US 40 cancellation fee for INTL flight 2)
Medical shot $60 3) $30 Intl bank wire fees 3)$50 packing preparation
4) lots of my time for my travel planning 5)destroy for my vacation in
China National Holiday (Oct 1-7). Too short to plan other trip and
fight tickets from China to everywhere are pretty much sold out.

For our communication in the last few weeks, I doubled check with you
several times whether departure date is ok. Your feedback is yes and
never mentioned about cancellation fees. If cancellation is from my
side, I could understand (but % is still unclear). However, it's your
company who made the call to cancel the trip, I should be one to ask
for reimburse of my other loss. Today, I only ask for 100% refund.

Appreciate your company could feedback the firm answer and refund the
$$ to my bank account ASAP.

Thanks,
Eunice
Sent: 2006年9月21日 23:50
To: 'Wildwatch Safaris'
Subject: Apologies

xxx,

Any feedback for below? Will I get 100% refund since your company
cancel the trip.

Thanks,
Eunice
Sent: 2006年9月20日 21:46
To: 'Wildwatch Safaris'

xxx,

Thanks for the note. I will send you my bank account details tomorrow.

Just want to double check with you that it would be full amount of
refund as USD 2,157

Thanks,
Eunice
Old September 25th, 2006, 03:12 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
rascal[_1_]

Well, of course, now that you have sent them your bank information, they can
empty your account. You may lose a lot more than your trip cost.

oups.com...

Old September 25th, 2006, 04:25 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Bill[_3_]

wrote:

I didn't make my Safari trip in Kenya 4 days prior to departure. Safari
operator cancelled the trip because other people in the shared package
called off. ...
The worst thing is I might have risk to get 100% refund. Need some
help/advise how I could get my $$ back (US$2000+).

In their reply they said "send us the banking details so that we can
make a refund" so *hopefully* you'll get your money back. I would
certainly expect a 100% return of my deposit if the safari company
cancelled, though you are probably out of luck for the transfer fees
etc.

You might log on to www.fodors.com and select the Africa forum and ask
there about ways of recouping your deposit if Wildwatch lets you down.
There are several people on the forum who travel to Kenya often and
also several travel agents who would know which Kenyan authorities to
contact if you need to be more aggressive in trying to get a refund.

Sorry things worked out so poorly for you!

Bill

Old September 25th, 2006, 08:02 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Liz Leyden

In message .com
wrote:

I didn't make my Safari trip in Kenya 4 days prior to departure. Safari
operator cancelled the trip because other people in the shared package
called off. They can't find another group for me from other agent and I
refused to pay additional $1000 to have a private tour.

The worst thing is I might have risk to get 100% refund. Need some
help/advise how I could get my $$ back (US$2000+). All the contact is
via email confirmation and the company didn't mentioned a word of
cancellation fee before I wired the $$ to its bank acct.

Below is the recent emails I had with the safari operator ('Wildwatch
Safaris), a certified agent in Kenya. I can't believe it would end up
with this, no vacation and might lose $$.

Eunice -
I'm so sorry your safari didn't work out for you, but I can't help as
the UK travel industry works a totally different way: for example,
companies have a cut-off date by which they have to tell you they
won't be running a trip (the main companies are 6 weeks, though I've
seen 8 or 4). You would get a full refund here under these
circumstances (if you'd booked through a bonded agent/operator which
all UK suppliers must be), but maybe not for any extras (e.g. internal
flights or overnight airport accommodation) which you book separately.

I'm pretty shocked that they asked for your bank details, but maybe
that's just because our system is so different.

I hope you get a refund and will be able to go on safari soon.

Slainte

Liz

Old September 26th, 2006, 09:46 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
AllanE

Hi Eunice

I am a Tour Operator based in Johannesburg sending safaris into Kenya.
I am very surprised at what has happened to you. Surely Wildwatch had
paid/committed the accommodation for your group and had also received
payment from the other clients (who cancelled). A week prior to
departure we have most definately received payment in full from our
clients.

I suggest that you contact KATO (Kenya Assoc of Tour Operatos)
http://www.katokenya.org/default.asp for assistance, although I do not
see Wildwatch listed as a member. Also contact Kenya Tourist Board. I
am sure these people will assist you.

Good luck - keep us posted on the outcome

Regards
Allan