I Enjoy the Extreme Size of Cruise Ships...

Old October 12th, 2007, 05:32 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
LeeNY

Default I Enjoy the Extreme Size of Cruise Ships...

On Oct 11, 8:43 pm, Charles wrote:
In article , Surfer
And Grandeur of the
Seas, that is a mega ship.....

Really? You'd consider Grandeur to be mega? Interesting. I don't
include the Vision class ships in the mega category. I've been on two
ships in that class - very pleasant ships but without that "wow
factor" I've heard so much about, when the Voyager and Freedom class
ships are discussed. No promenade (shopping mall) with inside cabins
having windows looking down, no ice skating rink, no surfing, etc.
74,000 tons vs. 138,000 tons, 600 (or so) fewer passengers...

Lee

--
Charles

Old October 12th, 2007, 08:55 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Anka

On Oct 10, 11:39?am, javawizard wrote:
There's something about the size of any ship that's impressive, and I
enjoy that. How about you? There are some pictures of even larger
ships - the largest in the world - atwww.large-things.com-
especially check out the Freedom Ship.
Enjoy!
- Jeff -

My first encounter with a mega ship was while on board the (now
defunct) ROC Stella Solaris in Istanbul. The Grand Princess pulled up
beside us and docked at the next berth. It literally gave me the
creeps. I swore I'd never cruise on a ship that large. A while ago,
I received via email a .ppt slide show of the Freedom of the Seas.
While I marveled at the technology and the artistry of the ship, it
just served as a reminder to me to steer clear of behemoths. If I
want to stroll down an avenue and window shop, I'll go to New York.

~Anka

Old October 12th, 2007, 11:11 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Surfer E2468

Charles:
To me the LIBERTY,and GRANDUER are not mega ships ,I refer to mega ships
that have over 4000 passengers and we do not need wave pools,ice skating
rinks or bowling alley's on our cruises.and the CORAL PRINCESS is also
not what we call a mega ship

cruise lover

Old October 12th, 2007, 11:39 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Nonnymus[_4_]

Anka wrote:
On Oct 10, 11:39?am, javawizard wrote:
There's something about the size of any ship that's impressive, and I
enjoy that. How about you? There are some pictures of even larger
ships - the largest in the world - atwww.large-things.com-
especially check out the Freedom Ship.
Enjoy!
- Jeff -

My first encounter with a mega ship was while on board the (now
defunct) ROC Stella Solaris in Istanbul.

Now there was a great ship! We really enjoyed our time aboard.

Nonny

--
---Nonnymus---
No matter how large your boat,
Old October 13th, 2007, 12:19 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article om, LeeNY
wrote:

Really? You'd consider Grandeur to be mega? Interesting. I don't

I consider any ship over 70,000 tons to be a mega ship. And it takes
2400 passengers. The Voyager class and beyond ships I would call super
mega ships.

--
Charles
Old October 13th, 2007, 12:29 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Surfer
E2468 wrote:

To me the LIBERTY,and GRANDUER are not mega ships ,I refer to mega ships
that have over 4000 passengers and we do not need wave pools,ice skating
rinks or bowling alley's on our cruises.and the CORAL PRINCESS is also
not what we call a mega ship

Then there are no mega ships by your definition. The largest cruise
ships, Liberty and Freedom of the Seas have less than 4000 passengers.
About 3600 for those two.

Carnival Liberty which you don't consider to be a mega ship has about
3000 passengers and is 110,000 tons.

--
Charles
Old October 13th, 2007, 01:41 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Anka

On Oct 12, 5:39?pm, Nonnymus wrote:
Anka wrote:
On Oct 10, 11:39?am, javawizard wrote:
There's something about the size of any ship that's impressive, and I
enjoy that. How about you? There are some pictures of even larger
ships - the largest in the world - atwww.large-things.com-
especially check out the Freedom Ship.
Enjoy!
- Jeff -

My first encounter with a mega ship was while on board the (now
defunct) ROC Stella Solaris in Istanbul.

Now there was a great ship! We really enjoyed our time aboard.

Nonny

--
---Nonnymus---
No matter how large your boat,
the person you are talking with will
have a close friend with a larger one.
---Observation by my son

Since both my first and second cruise experiences were on the Stella,
I had nothing to compare her to. Now, after sailing several other
ships, I can truly appreciate her genuinely friendly all-Greek crew,
the superb enrichment program and the great food. The ship was a bit
timeworn, shall we say, a bit threadbare....but it was top shelf. I
have very many fond memories...

~Anka

Old October 13th, 2007, 06:50 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"Surfer E2468" wrote in message
Charles:
To me the LIBERTY,and GRANDUER are not mega ships ,I refer to mega ships
that have over 4000 passengers and we do not need wave pools,ice skating
rinks or bowling alley's on our cruises.and the CORAL PRINCESS is also
not what we call a mega ship

Grandeur might not be a mega ship any more, but Carnival Liberty is. She is
110,000 tons and holds 3700 passengers when full (all berths). Voyager of
the Seas holds 3838. Only 138 people more. Though her space ratio is
better, at 137,000 tons. So Voyager won't feel nearly as crowded. But both
are mega ships.

--Tom

Old October 13th, 2007, 07:37 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_1_]

On 10/12/2007 8:41 PM Anka consulted a Magic 8 Ball and declared:

Anka wrote:

[...]

I can see the QM2 being the size she is with all the diversions
including a planetarium. For the transatlantic cruiser who needs a
little more than a few good books to while away the passage QM2 is the
ship I'd take.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old October 13th, 2007, 10:51 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Tom K
wrote:

Grandeur might not be a mega ship any more, but Carnival Liberty is. She is
110,000 tons and holds 3700 passengers when full (all berths). Voyager of
the Seas holds 3838. Only 138 people more. Though her space ratio is
better, at 137,000 tons. So Voyager won't feel nearly as crowded. But both
are mega ships.

I have been using Candy Brock's categories. I found those after the
last discussion on r.t.c. about ship size. She does it by tonnage or by
passengers. Her categories seem reasonable to me. They are at:

http://home.g-net.net/~cbrock/Ships.htm

--
Charles