Budapest?

Old June 16th, 2004, 04:06 PM
mld

Default Budapest?

Hi,

I've just discovered another European low cost airline
http://www.skyeurope.com and since I saw a TV show about spas in
Budapest, I'm thinking of a week-end getaway in Budapest.

It would not be a visit trip, but a relaxed/spa week-end.

Anybody can recommend a nice hotel with nearby spa or even better a
hotel with a spa/turkish bath?

I see there's a castle
http://images.google.com/images?q=castle%20budapest in Budapest. Any
other thing is a must-see? What are the (bad) areas to be avoided?

What about language experience with the locals: how's their
English/French/Spanish/(last resort: Dutch)? Should I resort to miming,
is there any gesture to avoid? (I guess I'll need a phrase phrase book
anyway...)

Tia.
/ML

Old June 16th, 2004, 11:55 PM
Tony

The Gelert hotel? appeared to have a spa attached although i would imagine
its pricey.
Watch out for the taxis, rip off merchants although i would recommend using
City Cabs very good and very helpful..

Most people speak a bit of english, or german. Buy a phrase book

The castle district is a must see, go early or late in the day to avoid the
coach tours taking over the place.

Enjoy!

Tony

Old June 17th, 2004, 02:52 AM
Watcher

"Tony" wrote in message ...
The Gelert hotel? appeared to have a spa attached although i would imagine
its pricey.
Watch out for the taxis, rip off merchants although i would recommend using
City Cabs very good and very helpful..

The Gellert has one of the better spas. And surprisingly, the hotel
is NOT unusually expensive, but quite reasonable. You have spa
privileges if you stay there, otherwise you have to pay admission.
One problem, though, is that it is a bit out of the way, not the best
location for sightseeing.

Budapest is quite tourist-friendly, they are really going for the
tourist trade. English is widely spoken, ATMs are everywhere.
There's a subway that is convenient and easy to use, but I walked just
about everywhere.

Take the tour of the Parliament, very much worthwhile. Ride the
funicular up to the castle. Walk along the Danube at night,
extraordinarily beautiful with the buildings illuminated.

And even if you go to other spas, go to the Szechenyi baths, an
outdoor spa. It has a whirlpool that spins you around in a circle,
another pool with people sitting in the water playing chess, a pool
for swimming laps (swim cap required), and indoor pools of varying
temperatures.

You'll enjoy Budapest.....
Old June 17th, 2004, 01:44 PM
mld

Thanks a lot Watcher & Tony.
I can't wait to get there.
/ML

Old June 18th, 2004, 01:54 PM
tile

there is a special shyttle service at the airport taking you directly to yr
hotel.
it has a very reasonable price.
the most famous Hotel is the Hotel gellert on gellert hid
( or gellert hill )

if you have time, go to the thermal resort of Heviz and visit the town of
Eger.

Old June 18th, 2004, 05:45 PM
Andrzej W. Czok

tile wrote in message

there is a special shyttle service at the airport taking you directly
to yr hotel.
it has a very reasonable price.
the most famous Hotel is the Hotel gellert on gellert hid
( or gellert hill )

Gellert Hill (where the Gellert Hotel is located) is "Gellert-hegy" in
Hungarian.
"Hid" means "bridge", but there is no "Gellert hid" in Budapest - the
nearest bridge is Szabadsag hid (Freedom Bridge).

Basically, it is a very good idea to have a spa week-end in Budapest,
although a week-end might be not enough ;-)

Outside Budapest I strongly recommend visiting Lake Balaton (have a bathe,
taste wine in a local vineyard), Szentendre and Visegrad.

Have a good time!
Regards,
Andrew