Question about working visas?

Old August 26th, 2005, 04:01 PM
Rubber Ducky

Default Question about working visas?

OK, I read that a working visa for Oz will cost me £111 (GBP) and an unknown
amount for NZ.

My question is rather straightforward. Why do I need one of these?

Obviously "to work" is going to be the answer but if an employer does not
ask or subsequently does not check what's to worry about? Obviously a big
multinational corporation is going to have more stringent checks than a
one-man and his dog pub is, so really is it worth it.

I'm assuming I could arrive in Oz without a visa, say I was on holiday for 3
weeks, but really stay for 6 months and then leave without issue.

Quid's in. Correct?

Old August 26th, 2005, 11:02 PM
Neil Raines

Good NZ employers will ask. The bad will not, but they might not pay you
either! And if they don't, you have no legal avenues to persuade them to
change their mind.

Old August 27th, 2005, 12:36 AM
Dwayne

"Rubber Ducky" wrote in message
. uk...
OK, I read that a working visa for Oz will cost me £111 (GBP) and an
unknown
amount for NZ.

My question is rather straightforward. Why do I need one of these?

Obviously "to work" is going to be the answer but if an employer does not
ask or subsequently does not check what's to worry about? Obviously a big
multinational corporation is going to have more stringent checks than a
one-man and his dog pub is, so really is it worth it.

I'm assuming I could arrive in Oz without a visa, say I was on holiday for
3
weeks, but really stay for 6 months and then leave without issue.

Quid's in. Correct?

The cost of the working holiday visa for OZ & NZ are roughly the same. I
think one is ~$100 CDN (35 quid) more than the other. If you plan on picking
fruit, working on a farm or pruning trees, most employers (in NZ) will not
care. As long as you have an IRD number (Inland Revenue Department). You get
one by ringing Inland Revenue (1-800 number) and giving them your name,
passport number, etc.. Then they give you an IRD number (they do not check
to see if you have a valid working visa). Almost all employer require an IRD
number.
I've been told that it's pretty much the same in OZ, but don't know from
first hand experience. Personally I had the required work visas on my trip,
but many people I met did not, and they managed to find work here and there
(the smaller and more isolated places were easier).

Have fun,

Dwayne

Old August 27th, 2005, 02:13 PM
Big Jim

Hello Rubber Ducky

Most employers in Australia are going to ask to see the visa because they
have to pay a fine of something like aud $2,000 for each illegal employee
they hire. You also need to quote a tax file number which I don't believe
you can get without the proper visa.

Here are a couple of reasons why you might want to have a working visa:

- There are some employers such as fruit growers who will still hire illegal
workers but you can expect to get less than your entitled rate of pay. The
difference in pay might make it worthwhile to pay for a working visa.

- There are regular raids on properties during picking season. If you are
caught, you will be deported and may not be allowed to come back.

Just my thoughts

Regards: Jim Sibbick

Old August 27th, 2005, 02:53 PM
www.poms.co.uk

Will post to USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, UK, Germany, France.
"Rubber Ducky" wrote in message
. uk...
OK, I read that a working visa for Oz will cost me £111 (GBP) and an
unknown
amount for NZ.

My question is rather straightforward. Why do I need one of these?

Obviously "to work" is going to be the answer but if an employer does not
ask or subsequently does not check what's to worry about? Obviously a big
multinational corporation is going to have more stringent checks than a
one-man and his dog pub is, so really is it worth it.

I'm assuming I could arrive in Oz without a visa, say I was on holiday for
3
weeks, but really stay for 6 months and then leave without issue.

Quid's in. Correct?

Yup get a working visa. If you get a ETA Holiday Visa you can only stay upto
3 months at a time so long you have anuff money in the bank. If thay catch
you working with out a working visa your get banned from Australia and some
other countrys for a few years.

--

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/experimentalist-co-uk
www.simcard.me.uk

Old August 28th, 2005, 10:57 AM
A Mate

Geez! Mate! Not Quite!!

One of my memories (from a life not long past!) is sitting in the staffroom
of Mutchilba State School on the Atherton Tableland (behind Cairns - a fruit
picking area!) and watching the Immigration Dept Field Officers chasing the
pickers across the playground! The State Police didn't extend themselves -
they waited on the road with their 'cage' van!!

I believe they charge you for the deportation too!! - Then there's the time
spent in 'Denention centres (read jail!) - and the ban on subsequent entry
for 3 years!! All in all - not a nice scene!

BUT!!!! Realistically the chances of being caught are less than 50% YOUR
CALL!!!!

Old August 31st, 2005, 06:17 PM
londoncityslicker

"Rubber Ducky" wrote in message
. uk...
OK, I read that a working visa for Oz will cost me £111 (GBP) and an

unknown
amount for NZ.

My question is rather straightforward. Why do I need one of these?

Obviously "to work" is going to be the answer but if an employer does not
ask or subsequently does not check what's to worry about? Obviously a big
multinational corporation is going to have more stringent checks than a
one-man and his dog pub is, so really is it worth it.

I'm assuming I could arrive in Oz without a visa, say I was on holiday for

3
weeks, but really stay for 6 months and then leave without issue.

Quid's in. Correct?

Seem to remember a tourist visa only last 3 months. So if you want to stay
longer then a working holiday visa is your only way to do it.

Can you really not afford the extra couple of quid to keep it all legal?
Surely you've just forked out for the plane fare and lodgings.

Remember a tourist visa also costs money (£8 ish) but only allows entry
once. Whereas the WHV allows you to come and go for up to 18 months
for the one fee of around £70.

A.

Old September 5th, 2005, 01:01 PM
jimmyw25

have a look at http://www.pure-australia.co.uk/forum/ alot of questions
about your working holiday are answered!

Old September 6th, 2005, 04:42 AM
Dave Proctor

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 08:01:38 -0400, "jimmyw25"
wrote:

have a look at http://www.pure-australia.co.uk/forum/ alot of questions
about your working holiday are answered!

Be careful of that website, some of the information is decidedly dodgy
- I nearly spilt my drink when I read the third post in
http://www.pure-australia.co.uk/foru...topic.php?t=16 and that is
just one example.

Dave

There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who don't.
Old September 18th, 2005, 02:57 AM
Michael Conzo

"Rubber Ducky" wrote:

I'm assuming I could arrive in Oz without a visa, say I was on holiday for 3
weeks, but really stay for 6 months and then leave without issue.

I originally came to Oz with a working holiday visa, which I extended while
I was here. But that was before 911, and I don't think they do that
anymore.

And keep in mind if y ou overstay you WILL get caught when you leave and (at
the min) be banned for 3-5 years, and possibly detained. Its all in the
computers, mate.