What is the weather like?

Old September 7th, 2005, 06:57 PM
Whoever

Default What is the weather like?

I have never been to Australia. All I know is your toilets flush in
the opposite direction and Australia has created some great movies and
musicians. But what is winter like in the Southern Hemisphere?
Especially in Australia where it looks to be hot and dry all of the
time? Does it ever snow?

Old September 7th, 2005, 09:33 PM
Bill

Whoever wrote:
I have never been to Australia. All I know is your toilets flush in
the opposite direction and Australia has created some great movies and
musicians. But what is winter like in the Southern Hemisphere?
Especially in Australia where it looks to be hot and dry all of the
time? Does it ever snow?

http://www.perisherblue.com.au/winter/index.php

Bill

Old September 7th, 2005, 11:30 PM
A Mate

How long is a piece of string???

Thursday Island in the north is several thousands of kilometres distant from
Hobart in the south.

Weather/climate depends on latitude (how far North or South you are) and
distance from the coast, which again can be over a thousand kilometres.

Generally it's cooler the further south you go; and dryer the more inland
you are!!

oups.com...

Old September 8th, 2005, 01:07 AM
Whoever

Holy crap, there's a ski resort in Australia? I have never been to
Australia I just know what I have seen on television or movies and I've
hever seen much snow in an Australian movie...of course I probably
haven't seen too many Australian movies. Come to think of it there is
that scene in Young Einstein, where Yahoo Serious slides on his
suitcase down a snow covered slope. For some reason you never think of
mountain ranges in Australia. I think of it being either flat and
arid...like in Rabbitproof Fence or swampy like in Crocodile Dundee or
The Piano, which is of course New Zealand.

Old September 8th, 2005, 02:28 AM
Fred

"A Mate" wrote in message
How long is a piece of string???

Thursday Island in the north is several thousands of kilometres distant
from Hobart in the south.

Weather/climate depends on latitude (how far North or South you are) and
distance from the coast, which again can be over a thousand kilometres.

Generally it's cooler the further south you go; and dryer the more inland
you are!!

"Whoever" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have never been to Australia. All I know is your toilets flush in
the opposite direction and Australia has created some great movies and
musicians. But what is winter like in the Southern Hemisphere?
Especially in Australia where it looks to be hot and dry all of the
time? Does it ever snow?

And the toilet flushing business; it takes a mighty complex experiment to
prove it .

Old September 8th, 2005, 03:44 AM
Alan S

On 7 Sep 2005 10:57:55 -0700, "Whoever"
wrote:

All I know is your toilets flush in
the opposite direction

Geez - you mean round and round I hope, and not up and
down:-)

Makes me nervous about going up north if it comes out when
it should go in up the-(

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old September 8th, 2005, 07:45 AM
Scotty

"Whoever" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have never been to Australia. All I know is your toilets flush in
the opposite direction and Australia has created some great movies and
musicians. But what is winter like in the Southern Hemisphere?
Especially in Australia where it looks to be hot and dry all of the
time? Does it ever snow?

WWW.BOM.COM.AU

Try that. enter where ya wanna go and the site tells you the average weather
temps air temps sunshiine hours etc.

What more do you want?

Old September 8th, 2005, 10:53 AM
A Mate

Yeah!! It's a big, big country. All the stereotypes are true! But! So is
almost everything else you might imagine!!

Australia is about the same size as the continental US - and offers about
the same level of diversity!

oups.com...

Old September 8th, 2005, 11:06 AM
Bill

In NSW there is Perisher/Blue Cow, Thredbo & Mt Selwyn.

Victoria has Falls Creek, Mt Buller, Mt Hotham, Mt Baw Baw, Dinner
Plain & Mt Buffalo to name just a few.

Tasmania has 2 resorrts.

Bill

Old September 8th, 2005, 08:18 PM
Whoever

Is Tamania very well developed? I am under the impression that it
is mostly unpopulated. It's like you can look at pictures of Disney
World on the internet and think, "Look at all of those attractions."
When actually it is 70% gift shops.