uploading back to the Netherlands

Old September 12th, 2005, 04:43 PM
Geeds

Default uploading back to the Netherlands

My daughter just arrived last week on a Working Holiday Visa in Sydney and
will be down under for a year. She is making lots of photo's but when she
tries to upload them to my computer at home it takes an awfull long time. So
she only managed around 5 photo's so far. What are the normal upload speeds
in internet cafe's in Australia? Is there an alternative (except for burning
them on CD's and sending them), I was hoping to maintain a website of her
journey.
My download speed is 8Mb so that is not the bottleneck.

It would be nice if she could somehow get them placed on an ISP site
directly, so I could just download them.
Anyone have s suggestion?

Regards,

Ben (from Holland)

Old September 12th, 2005, 06:57 PM
Tom Johnstone

Geeds wrote:
My daughter just arrived last week on a Working Holiday Visa in Sydney and
will be down under for a year. She is making lots of photo's but when she
tries to upload them to my computer at home it takes an awfull long time. So
she only managed around 5 photo's so far. What are the normal upload speeds
in internet cafe's in Australia? Is there an alternative (except for burning
them on CD's and sending them), I was hoping to maintain a website of her
journey.
My download speed is 8Mb so that is not the bottleneck.

It would be nice if she could somehow get them placed on an ISP site
directly, so I could just download them.
Anyone have s suggestion?

Regards,

Ben (from Holland)

Don't know specifically about internet cafes, but DSL and cable
broadband internet in Australia commonly have 256Kbit upload speed limit.

Tom
Old September 12th, 2005, 07:18 PM
Frank Slootweg

Geeds wrote:
My daughter just arrived last week on a Working Holiday Visa in Sydney and
will be down under for a year. She is making lots of photo's but when she
tries to upload them to my computer at home it takes an awfull long time. So
she only managed around 5 photo's so far. What are the normal upload speeds
in internet cafe's in Australia? Is there an alternative (except for burning
them on CD's and sending them), I was hoping to maintain a website of her
journey.
My download speed is 8Mb so that is not the bottleneck.

It would be nice if she could somehow get them placed on an ISP site
directly, so I could just download them.
Anyone have s suggestion?

Regards,

Ben (from Holland)

We are in nearly the same situation (different city, 2 years and in
the other direction (mainly from Holland to Oz)) and use (surface
mailed) CDs.

Depending on what your daugther has available, you might consider
sending one or more USB memory sticks back and forth. If she has no easy
access to a computer, you might want to buy a "USB copy box" and send it
to her. Sitecom has such a device. It is rather cheap and can copy
between two USB devices, where a digital camera can be the source and a
(USB) memory stick the destination.

BTW, you may want to tell *how* she uploads to your computer at home,
i.e. which software is used at both ends.

I hope this helps.
Old September 12th, 2005, 07:57 PM
Geeds

The usb sticks is a great idea. Safer than CD's I believe.
We tried http uploads via the Wbesite on my home computer.

Tnx

Ben