10,000 bags misplaced at [British] airports

Old August 15th, 2006, 10:16 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe
spamfree

Default 10,000 bags misplaced at [British] airports

Old August 15th, 2006, 10:32 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe
Oral-B

I think saying they are 'misplaced' or 'missing' is a bit of journalistic
licence of the truth. The 2nd paragraph of the same article says they are
piled up at the airport waiting to be delivered back to their owners.
Assuming that the bags are clearly labelled with the owners details, then I
am sure that BAA will eventually return the bags to their rightful owners.

My thought would be though is what is going to happen with people claiming
on their travel/holiday insurance for lost luggage. I thought you could
normally claim within so many days of it not arriving, however, I suspect
the insurance industry will be desperate to avoid a flood of (over egged)
claims from up to 10,000 passengers for baggage which is not really missing,
just waiting to be sorted.

Old August 15th, 2006, 11:38 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe
spamfree

I think saying they are 'misplaced' or 'missing' is a bit of journalistic
licence of the truth. The 2nd paragraph of the same article says they
are piled up at the airport waiting to be delivered back to their owners.

Misplaced is literally correct, as is temporarily missing. But if your
vacation was ruined due to misplaced luggage, you'd be ticked.

Old August 15th, 2006, 11:49 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe
PeterL

spamfree wrote:
I think saying they are 'misplaced' or 'missing' is a bit of journalistic
licence of the truth. The 2nd paragraph of the same article says they
are piled up at the airport waiting to be delivered back to their owners.

Misplaced is literally correct, as is temporarily missing. But if your
vacation was ruined due to misplaced luggage, you'd be ticked.

I'd be much more ticked if I die in a flamming steel tube flying thru
the air at 600mph with 400 other people.

Old August 16th, 2006, 02:39 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe
nobody[_1_]

Misplaced luggage:

if you are coming home, and you're not allowed any carry-on, and they
lose your luggage, then you exit the airport and get home and you don't
have the keys to your own house. (or the keys to your car parked at the airport).

It is more than just not having your luggage when you reach some resort.

If you are flying to make a presentation and all your presentation
materials get lost, what are you to do ?

(they may be recovered/delivered a week later, but is no good to you).
Old August 16th, 2006, 03:24 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe
mrtravel[_1_]

nobody wrote:
Misplaced luggage:

if you are coming home, and you're not allowed any carry-on, and they
lose your luggage, then you exit the airport and get home and you don't
have the keys to your own house. (or the keys to your car parked at the airport).

Do they not allow you to carry on keys?
Old August 16th, 2006, 04:16 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe
spamfree

if you are coming home, and you're not allowed any carry-on, and
they lose your luggage, then you exit the airport and get home and
you don't have the keys to your own house. (or the keys to your
car parked at the airport).

I seem to remember reading that even the draconian measures of
the UK did not prohibit passengers from carrying keys, but they did
prohibit the carrying of key fobs. Otherwise you have a good point.
This is why I simply will not fly if I am denied the right to bring at least
one carry-on bag onto my plane. I suspect I am not the only one to
feel this way.

Old August 16th, 2006, 07:01 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe
mrtravel[_1_]

spamfree wrote:
if you are coming home, and you're not allowed any carry-on, and
they lose your luggage, then you exit the airport and get home and
you don't have the keys to your own house. (or the keys to your
car parked at the airport).

I seem to remember reading that even the draconian measures of
the UK did not prohibit passengers from carrying keys, but they did
prohibit the carrying of key fobs. Otherwise you have a good point.
This is why I simply will not fly if I am denied the right to bring at least
one carry-on bag onto my plane. I suspect I am not the only one to
feel this way.

To clarify, the restriction was on electronic key fobs.
Old August 16th, 2006, 08:20 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe
Rudy[_1_]

but there are still at least 15 million, ugly old bags walking around out
there

Old August 16th, 2006, 09:08 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe
The Reid[_1_]

Following up to spamfree

I seem to remember reading that even the draconian measures of
the UK did not prohibit passengers from carrying keys, but they did
prohibit the carrying of key fobs.

electronic keys, like most modern cars have.
--
Mike Reid
I will agree bendybuses are a good idea when they build bungalows on Mayfair