OT? playing MP3s while travelling in Europe

Old August 10th, 2006, 12:59 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
The Reid[_1_]

Default OT? playing MP3s while travelling in Europe

Following up to David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the royal duchy
of city south and deansgate

and you can do
whatever you want, play music, run other applications- or at least, I've
not had a problem yet. (I suppose things like RAM will be a factor here
though.

you have a point, I put a load more memory in since I last tried.
--
Mike Reid
I will agree bendybuses are a good idea when they build bungalows on Mayfair
Old August 10th, 2006, 02:52 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
The Reid[_1_]

Following up to The Reid

got all the answers (I think)

I'll answer my own question in case anybody wanted to know.

(I assume USB 2 is backward compatible to the 1.1 of the
turntable)

yep

Should I attach additional external mini hub or hub to carry the
extra devices? Not sure I see the difference. I assume USB sends
data in some sort of "packet" way as it seems you can do this
sort of thing.

you can connect up to 127 devices through successions of hubs.
For power hungry devices use a powered hub to avoid power being
drawn through the computers PS.

I'm glad to see I can get "repeater" extension leads to bridge
the gap between Hi Fi and PC. One I see allows for connection of
two devices, so I assume that would be good to use with the
Squeezebox and the deck (er, in Europe) ?

it will.
Old August 10th, 2006, 05:43 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
The Reid[_1_]

Following up to The Reid

my old vinyl via Ion USB turntable.

If anyone is interested the Ion turntable sounds fine. I used the
black platter mat from my Rotel rather than the yuck white one.
It has no auto lower for the stylus, no auto stop and no dust
cover.But as its a one off use I think thats not unreasonable.
Old August 13th, 2006, 09:34 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
The Reid[_1_]

Following up to Keith Willshaw

I think I would prefer a cabled solution.

The squeezebox I bought has a wired port too

The wired option is an Ethernet network. Oh well, something else
to set up! I see the sqeezebox requires a recent Windows. I have
also found the music conversion programme doesnt want to work on
my ancient PC (too slow). Added to the fact it needs a new power
supply and keeps crashing, I think its time to get a new PC.
All to play a bit of music. Ive been looking for a simpler
solution, but there doesnt seem to be one.
Old August 17th, 2006, 06:58 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
poldy

In article ,
The Reid wrote:

Following up to Keith Willshaw

I think I would prefer a cabled solution.

The squeezebox I bought has a wired port too

The wired option is an Ethernet network. Oh well, something else
to set up! I see the sqeezebox requires a recent Windows. I have
also found the music conversion programme doesnt want to work on
my ancient PC (too slow). Added to the fact it needs a new power
supply and keeps crashing, I think its time to get a new PC.
All to play a bit of music. Ive been looking for a simpler
solution, but there doesnt seem to be one.

A wired option isn't conducive to traveling is it? Even playing from a
computer, unless a laptop, isn't going to work for travel.

Why wouldn't an iPod or some other MP3 player work? There are now so
many speaker docks available. You just dock the iPod and turn up the
volume.

If you want something more elaborate, there are boxes which interface
between a computer and a stereo system. Check iLounge.com for some
reviews.
Old August 18th, 2006, 09:35 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
The Reid[_1_]

Following up to poldy

. Ive been looking for a simpler
solution, but there doesnt seem to be one.

A wired option isn't conducive to traveling is it? Even playing from a
computer, unless a laptop, isn't going to work for travel.

I don't need it for travel, we intend to get an iPod thingy for
that.

Why wouldn't an iPod or some other MP3 player work? There are now so
many speaker docks available. You just dock the iPod and turn up the
volume.

Quality.

If you want something more elaborate, there are boxes which interface
between a computer and a stereo system. Check iLounge.com for some
reviews.

Thanks, i'll have a look
Old August 18th, 2006, 10:23 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

The Reid wrote:
Following up to poldy

A wired option isn't conducive to traveling is it? Even playing from a
computer, unless a laptop, isn't going to work for travel.

I don't need it for travel, we intend to get an iPod thingy for
that.

.... so you started a thread called "playing MP3s while travelling in
Europe".

B;

Old August 18th, 2006, 07:23 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
BB

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 09:35:54 +0100, The Reid wrote:

Why wouldn't an iPod or some other MP3 player work? There are now so
many speaker docks available. You just dock the iPod and turn up the
volume.

Quality.

To be fair, these docks typically have a "line out" so you don't go
straight from the headphone jack to your stereo (which I have tried, and I
agree it sounds terrible). The bigger problems are lack of remote (there
are solutions for that too), and loss of visility (being able to see the
iPod screen from across the room).

You'll need fairly high bitrate MP3s to retain good quality (its a lossy
format, afer all). At some point the loss is clearly audible on a good
stereo. Higher bitrates on an iPod means the battery drains faster,
though. This is why some of us don't use the iPod for the stereo.

--
-BB-
To e-mail me, unmunge my address
Old August 21st, 2006, 10:49 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
The Reid[_1_]

Following up to BB

You'll need fairly high bitrate MP3s to retain good quality (its a lossy
format, afer all). At some point the loss is clearly audible on a good
stereo. Higher bitrates on an iPod means the battery drains faster,
though. This is why some of us don't use the iPod for the stereo.

the slim squeezebox is probably slight overkill, but the wired
version is 180 ukp, so its the way I will go I think.