Stolen camera from checked in baggage

Old April 29th, 2005, 07:16 PM
PTravel

"Bernhard Mayer" wrote in message
ups.com...

PTRAVEL wrote:
At this point in time, anyone naive enough (I almost wrote "stupid

enough")
to put valuables in checked bags, particularly when they know that

they must
be unlocked for TSA inspection, deserves to have them stolen.

This isn't a United problem -- it's a passenger-without-common-sense
problem. I don't know any cure for that.

That's rubbish.

There are locks that can be opened by TSA for inspection, but still
keep your luggage closed. Even if you have regular lock on, TSA will
ask you for the combination - the checks are right after check-in and
you have to wait for clearance anyway.

So what?

First of all, you're extremely naive if you think TSA always relocks bags,
or doesn't clip TSA-approved locks. You also, evidently, missed the news
reports of arrests of TSA personnel who were pilfering passenger bags.

It has _never_ been smart to put valuables in checked bags. Theft from
baggage has been a problem since there has been air travel. Lost bags have
been a problem since there has been air travel. Bags abused by baggage
handlers have been a problem since there has been air travel.

You always trust your luggage to someone, e.g. the hotel, the taxi
driver, etc. They all take responsibility, except for the airlines.

Airlines' liability is limited by contract, domestically, and by treaty for
international flights. Their responsibility is, and always has been,
limited.

This is a bl**dy airline problem, not a passenger problem.

First of all, it may have been TSA's fault and not the airline -- there's no
way to tell. However, either way, it's a passenger problem.

What's next? If you can take stuff out of a suitcase, you can put stuff
into a suitcase.

Next time I should put some dope into your luggage and see how far you
get with your ridiculous "passenger-without-common-sense" attitude.

As a matter of fact, that became a very real problem for an Australian
tourist in, I believe, Indonesia -- that's exactly what happened. However,
what is apparent is that you don't fly very much, or you would understand
airline liability limitations, and the difference between TSA and the
airlines.

Old April 29th, 2005, 09:16 PM
Peter

In article , KGB says...
The mind boggles though at the expression on the passengers face when
he arrived home and found a lump of plastic explosive in his
suitcase!!!

Mmm. Dinner. whack it on the stove.

Old April 29th, 2005, 11:47 PM
Service Tech

PTRAVEL wrote:
At this point in time, anyone naive enough (I almost wrote "stupid

enough")
to put valuables in checked bags, particularly when they know that

they must
be unlocked for TSA inspection, deserves to have them stolen.

This isn't a United problem -- it's a passenger-without-common-sense
problem. I don't know any cure for that.

That's rubbish.

TSA will ask you for the combination -

Dream On

the checks are right after check-in and
you have to wait for clearance anyway.

Not at all airports. At some, my cases disappear down the shute. They're
inspected in a different area.

You always trust your luggage to someone, e.g. the hotel, the taxi
driver, etc. They all take responsibility, except for the airlines.
This is a bl**dy airline problem, not a passenger problem.

How do you figure it's an Airline Problem. The Airlines Aren't the cause of
open luggage. TSA Requires they be unlocked. Therefore it's a TSA Problem.

Old April 30th, 2005, 01:43 PM
Shawn Hearn

In article .com,
"judy" wrote:

Well, it's a sad day when an airline

a) Refuses to accept liability for items placed in (at their
insistance) unlocked checked bags, and

True, but every airline I have ever encountered has warning signs
up about not packing valuables in checked luggage, not the other
way around.

b) Allows cabin staff to stand by, smiling, while passengers whose
seats are elsewhere try to cram their carry-on items into the overhead
space of someone else's seat (and no I don't blame pax for carrying
onboard every possible heavy electronic item they can fit into the
carryon limitations). Of course one has the alternative option of
placing all carry-on items into the incredibly limited foot-space of
the seat in front.

You need to get out of the mindset that each seat has a reserved
section of storage space in overhead cabinets. That is simply wrong.

Has anyone noticed that the only inconvenienced party here is the
paying customer?

This is a case where a little knowledge would have saved the customer
a good deal of grief. The vast majority of air passengers know full
well not to pack valuables in checked luggage. This is no secret and
the airlines do make that fact plain and clear.

The only consolation I can offer the original poster is that SOME
airlines (Virgin comes to mind) place onerous restrictions on the
weight and density of carry-on items, whereas UA is relatively lenient.

You have a point there.