Bring Bicycle in Garuda Fligths

Old October 17th, 2003, 08:59 AM
Manfred Aigner

Default Bring Bicycle in Garuda Fligths

I plan to bring my mountainbike for my next Indonesia journey (lombok,=20
bali).

Is there anybody who has experience with bikes in garuda flights?

I'll fly with KLM from Vienna to Amsterdam and then=20
Amsterdam-Jakarta-Surabaya- Ampenan.

I'll have a stopp-over of about 10 hours in Jakarta and'd like to go=20
downtown. Do you think that they will check my luggage (incl. bike)=20
through to ampenan or will I have to check it in once more in jakarta?=20
I'd prefer to have the luggage checked through ... a few years ago it=20
did not work with garuda...

does garuda/KLM have any special rules to bring a bike (must I have a=20
bag, or screw-off the pedals..)?

Are they very strikt at the moment with the luggage weight limits?

Any experience appreciated,

Manfred
--=20
"Leser Manfred A. schw=F6rt auf "Simulation" und kl=E4rt mich auf,
dass Menschen aufgrund von Speichermangel verdoppelt werden. "
"Die Ameisenz=E4hlung", Daniel Glattauer.

Old October 18th, 2003, 02:52 AM
Tchiowa

Manfred Aigner wrote in message ...
I plan to bring my mountainbike for my next Indonesia journey (lombok,
bali).

Is there anybody who has experience with bikes in garuda flights?

I'll fly with KLM from Vienna to Amsterdam and then
Amsterdam-Jakarta-Surabaya- Ampenan.

I'll have a stopp-over of about 10 hours in Jakarta and'd like to go
downtown. Do you think that they will check my luggage (incl. bike)
through to ampenan or will I have to check it in once more in jakarta?

You will have to take it through Customs as the next flights are
domestic.

I'd prefer to have the luggage checked through ... a few years ago it
did not work with garuda...

does garuda/KLM have any special rules to bring a bike (must I have a
bag, or screw-off the pedals..)?

In a box, last time I checked. But that was several years ago.

Are they very strikt at the moment with the luggage weight limits?

20 kilos. A bike should fall in that range. I don't think they are as
strict as Merpati.