Glacier Express

Old August 21st, 2011, 09:08 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
sasch

Default Glacier Express

Mark Brader wrote:
Michael J. writes:
The route from Interlaken is... via Spiez and the Lotschberg Tunnel
to Visp and then to Brig.

Actually there are two routes now for the Spiez to Brig part of the
trip.

The fast route, which opened in 2007, is via the new Lötschberg Base
Tunnel and takes about 35 minutes one-way between the two points.
But if you want scenery, ride the old route via Kandersteg, which
takes runs through the old Lötschberg Tunnel and takes 72 minutes
one-way. This line does not run through Visp, but passes high above
it on the side of the Rhone valley, giving impressive views over the
valley
for several minutes. (Going south, sit on the right-hand side.)

I agree.
If I have some spare time going to Italy from Bern I do
prefer this route! The view is always a pleasure.

Old August 22nd, 2011, 11:24 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Giovanni Drogo

On Fri, 19 Aug 2011, michaelj wrote:

The section of the Glacier Express from Brig to Chur is through the
Rhone River Gorge and ...

That's Brig to Andermatt, which is more or less on top of the Gotthard
pass. From Andermatt one can descend to Goschenen (on the current main
Gotthard line) by train

... and part of the Rhine over the divide,

That's Andermatt to Disentis and Chur.

alternative to consider. Go to Visp via Spiez, then to Zermatt on the
Gotthard line.

Do not understand the reference to Gotthard here. Did you mean Simplon ?

is a newsreading account used by more persons to
Old August 22nd, 2011, 05:36 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Beer Tricks Potter

On 21 Aug., 16:08, James Silverton
wrote:
On 8/21/2011 9:41 AM, Beer Tricks Potter wrote:

On Aug 19, 5:23 pm, *wrote:
As long as we are on the subject, I will be skiing in Zermatt toward
the end of February. *It looks like I can make a day trip by taking
the Glacier Express from Zermatt to Chur, and then taking the regular
trains back. *Going all the way to St. Moritz would require staying
there overnight. *Is it worht it, and are there non-luxurious places
to stay the one night in St. Moritz and near the train station? *How
about taking the GE both ways versus using the regular trains for one
direction?

St.Moritz like Gstaad is an overpriced waste of time....Chur has
nothing of interest
some of the best scenery is around the lakes at Interlaken...but it
all depends on the weather

What a jaundiced view! I have enjoyed visits to all of those places and,
during my family's first stay in Switzerland, we rented an apartment in
Gstaad for a week. Switzerland, after all, is a small country and even
Gstaad made a good base.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*

try Zweisimmen...50% cheaper
Old August 22nd, 2011, 06:03 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Giovanni Drogo

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011, Beer Tricks Potter wrote:

try Zweisimmen...50% cheaper

Will Viersimmen be 25% cheaper ? :-)
Old August 23rd, 2011, 07:06 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Beer Tricks Potter

On 22 Aug., 19:03, Giovanni Drogo
wrote:
On Mon, 22 Aug 2011, Beer Tricks Potter wrote:
try Zweisimmen...50% cheaper

Will Viersimmen be 25% cheaper ? :-)

only if its in Austria...;-))

Old February 17th, 2012, 01:20 AM
Travmode Travmode is offline
Banned

[quote=sasch;1027578]Mark Brader wrote:[color=blue][i]
Michael J. writes:
The route from Interlaken is... via Spiez and the Lotschberg Tunnel
to Visp and then to Brig.

Here's something on the Lotschberger Express scenic route