volcano tourism

Old December 12th, 2011, 01:20 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jack Campin

Default volcano tourism

Where in Europe or nearby can you walk into accessible mildly
volcanic activity?

I was looking up White Island in New Zealand - you get to it
via a 30-mile boat trip and walk straight into a crater full of
steaming fumaroles and boiling mudpools. The greatest effort
required is climbing up the landing stage.

So what is there comparable in Europe or thereabouts? Iceland
has lots but it's more expensive to get to and travel around
than New Zealand, with next to zero public transport to get you
anywhere interesting.

Mount Nemrut near Tatvan in Turkey (not the Nemrut with the
statue heads, the eastern one) is very easy to get to by PT
but there isn't a lot of activity - just a hot crater lake
(unless the Van earthquake presages an eruption).

Etna seems to do nothing interesting between major eruptions.

Stromboli looks like a hell of a slog to reach (boat trip and
a serious long scramble).

Mull would have been great but I missed it by 60 million years.

Campi Flegrei near Naples looks like the best bet to me. Other
nominations?

Old December 12th, 2011, 03:22 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Frank Hucklenbroich

Am Mon, 12 Dec 2011 13:20:15 +0000 schrieb Jack Campin:

Where in Europe or nearby can you walk into accessible mildly
volcanic activity?

Maybe Lanzarote (Canary Islands) could also be interesting for you? You
won't get to see Lava there, but they do shows there (like they pour a
bucket of water into a small pipe and it shoots out like a Geysir beacuase
the earth is so hot) and the landscape is great. It's just quite touristy.

Regards,

Frank
Old December 12th, 2011, 05:41 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_6_]

On 12/12/2011 02:20 PM, Jack Campin wrote:
[...]

mobile 07800 739 557http://www.campin.me.uk Twitter: JackCampin

In addition to the ones mentioned La Palma has a mildly active volcano
in the south. And a brand new and potentially dangerous volcano is
developing off the coast of La Hierra, however Etna really wins the prize.
Old December 12th, 2011, 05:49 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Graham Harrison[_3_]

"Jack Campin" wrote in message
[...]

e m a i l : j a c k @ c a m p i n . m e . u
Jack Campin, 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU,
Scotland
mobile 07800 739 557 http://www.campin.me.uk Twitter:
JackCampin

Two big ifs here.

If the USA is an acceptable destination.
If public transport is not an absolute requirement.

Then I would suggest Yellowstone. Fly to Denver, hire a car, it's about a
2 day drive. Once there you're in a caldera that is supposed to be 80
miles across. You won't see lava (or at least I haven't on either of my
visits) but mud pools, geysers, steam, highly coloured growths in streams.
You'll also have a chance to see wildlife; Eagles, Bison, Wolves, Coyotes,
Elk and Bears to name but a few. You'll also see mountains. Stop in
Thermopolis and enjoy the hot spring pools. If you want to see solidified
lava go to Craters of the Moon which is in Southern Idaho. The route
could be Denver (spend a night at an airport motel before driving anywhere),
Thermopolis (night) then via Cody and stay at Canyon Village in the park.
You need an absolute minimum of three nights just to drive round the park
and see the main stops much less get up early enough to see the wildlife and
explore up towards Cooke City. Exit the park via West Yellowstone and
spend the night in Idaho Falls. One of the problems with Craters of the
Moon is no accommodation. You could do it as a day trip from Idaho Falls
or continue on to Twin Falls. Then cut down across northern Utah and head
back towards Colorado through Vernal so you can visit Dinosaur NM and then
via Craig to White Sulphur Springs before coming up over the Rocky Mountain
NP. Spend the last couple of nights in Boulder - nice, relaxed University
town.

Old December 12th, 2011, 08:44 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
irwell

On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 17:04:51 +0100, Martin wrote:

On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 16:22:07 +0100, Frank Hucklenbroich
wrote:

Am Mon, 12 Dec 2011 13:20:15 +0000 schrieb Jack Campin:

Where in Europe or nearby can you walk into accessible mildly
volcanic activity?

Maybe Lanzarote (Canary Islands) could also be interesting for you? You
won't get to see Lava there, but they do shows there (like they pour a
bucket of water into a small pipe and it shoots out like a Geysir beacuase
the earth is so hot) and the landscape is great. It's just quite touristy.

I can't think of anywhere more touristy :-)
It used to be a good place for meeting time share salesmen.

REminded me of when we used to go to the gasworks to buy coke.
Interesting museum though.
Old December 12th, 2011, 10:49 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jack Campin

Where in Europe or nearby can you walk into accessible mildly
volcanic activity?

Two big ifs here.
If the USA is an acceptable destination.
If public transport is not an absolute requirement.
Then I would suggest Yellowstone.

Sounds fine, probably the best volcanic site in the world - but I haven't
driven or had a licence for 35 years and Marion doesn't want to try again
after her stroke.

The Aeolian Islands look like the best bet. From the videos I've seen,
the solfatara at Campi Flegrei is rather pathetic compared with the ones
I've been to around Rotorua in New Zealand (okay, it'll obliterate the
whole of Europe someday, but it doesn't look like much right now).

Old December 13th, 2011, 03:34 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
poldy

In article ,
Jack Campin wrote:

Where in Europe or nearby can you walk into accessible mildly
volcanic activity?

Looking to offer a sacrifice?
Old December 13th, 2011, 09:58 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman[_3_]

e *m *a *i *l * *: * *j *a *c *k * @ * c *a *m *p *i *n * . * m *e * . * u *k
Jack Campin, *11 Third Street, *Newtongrange, *Midlothian EH22 4PU, *Scotland
mobile 07800 739 557 * * * http://www.campin.me.uk * * *Twitter: JackCampin

Vesuvius still smokes away a bit, and digging into the surface
produces white heat for the touristy cooking of eggs etc.
Some Greek islands NW of Rhodes still bubble away in craters by your
feet.