Assistance for elderly on German railways?

Old December 9th, 2010, 10:09 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
PeterL

Default Assistance for elderly on German railways?

On Dec 9, 3:25*am, Tom P wrote:
Hi,
* *is there some kind of assistance available on the German Bahn for
elderly travellers similar to what airlines provide?
* We have an elderly relative who needs to change trains, doesn't
understand German or hear too well, and we want to make sure they don't
miss the connection, get on the wrong train, can't find the reserved
seat, that kind of catastrophe. And of course they don't have a
cellphone so we can't do any remote diagnostics if there's a problem.

T.

Tom, on usenet you'll get all kinds of weirdos. Try asking this at
virtualtourists or lonely planet sites. My experience is that English
is used pretty broadly in Germany. Train agents or just fellow
travelers should be able to help them.
Old December 9th, 2010, 10:17 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_6_]

On 12/09/2010 05:50 PM, george wrote:
On Dec 9, 12:25 pm, Tom wrote:
Hi,
is there some kind of assistance available on the German Bahn for
elderly travellers similar to what airlines provide?
We have an elderly relative who needs to change trains, doesn't
understand German or hear too well, and we want to make sure they don't
miss the connection, get on the wrong train, can't find the reserved
seat, that kind of catastrophe. And of course they don't have a
cellphone so we can't do any remote diagnostics if there's a problem.

T.

Have a look at bahnhofsmission which appears to meet your needs for
giving assistance in German train stations. Click on the town on this
map for further information for that place-
http://www.bahnhofsmission.de/Zur-na....html?&woher=3

George

Thanks for the suggestion. My impression was that the bahnhofmission
looks after people who are in dire straits, I want o avoid them getting
into difficulties in the first place.

T.

Old December 10th, 2010, 05:43 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
george

http://www.bahnhofsmission.de/Zur-na...sion.5.0.html?...

George

Thanks for the suggestion. My impression was that the bahnhofmission
looks after people who are in dire straits, I want o avoid them getting
into difficulties in the first place.

T.- Hide quoted text -

If you read their website, they are supposed to provide services to
travelers, exactly what you are looking for.

George

Old December 10th, 2010, 09:00 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_6_]

On Dec 9, 12:25 pm, Tom wrote:
[...]

Ok, you're right. I'll get in touch with them.
Thanks once again

T.