Plastic bin as luggage ?

Old October 6th, 2009, 06:55 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Term Limits Now

Default Plastic bin as luggage ?

Anyone tried this? I would like to check a plastic bin instead of a
piece of luggage. The bin meets the size requirements of the airline.
A call to the airline resulted in a confused rep who was not able to
answer my question. I'm thinking that to the airline the type of
container should make no difference. That is, assuming that the bin
is strong enough to hold the contents.

Old October 6th, 2009, 07:32 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Bob Myers

Term Limits Now wrote:
Anyone tried this? I would like to check a plastic bin instead of a
piece of luggage. The bin meets the size requirements of the airline.
A call to the airline resulted in a confused rep who was not able to
answer my question. I'm thinking that to the airline the type of
container should make no difference. That is, assuming that the bin
is strong enough to hold the contents.

I think the airline would have a legitimate concern regarding whether
or not the bin could be securely closed (they certainly don't want it
coming open during normal baggage handling any more than you
do), but if you can satisfy them on that count you should be OK.
I've seen some pretty bizarre containers come up onto the baggage
carousel...

Keep in mind, though, that "securely closed" also has to be done
in some way that the TSA can open it if they want to and re-close
it without losing that "secure closure." A couple of regular luggage
straps would, I think, do the trick.

Bob M.

Old October 6th, 2009, 08:51 PM posted to rec.travel.air
tim....

"Term Limits Now" wrote in message
Anyone tried this? I would like to check a plastic bin instead of a
piece of luggage. The bin meets the size requirements of the airline.
A call to the airline resulted in a confused rep who was not able to
answer my question. I'm thinking that to the airline the type of
container should make no difference. That is, assuming that the bin
is strong enough to hold the contents.

Provided it's packed safety the airline will take anything

You see all sort of boxes and stuff coming out on the conveyer

tim

Old October 6th, 2009, 09:12 PM posted to rec.travel.air
William Black

Term Limits Now wrote:
Anyone tried this? I would like to check a plastic bin instead of a
piece of luggage. The bin meets the size requirements of the airline.
A call to the airline resulted in a confused rep who was not able to
answer my question. I'm thinking that to the airline the type of
container should make no difference. That is, assuming that the bin
is strong enough to hold the contents.

I've seen people use cardboard boxes as luggage containers.

Anything that meets the size and weight requirement is acceptable, they
don't even mind if it falls to bits, plenty of luggage falls to bits in
transit.

If it's unusual on your flight they may want you to open it, which
could be amusing...

--
William Black

"Any number under six"

The answer given by Englishman Richard Peeke when asked by the Duke of
Medina Sidonia how many Spanish sword and buckler men he could beat
single handed with a quarterstaff.
Old October 7th, 2009, 05:21 AM posted to rec.travel.air
A Mate[_2_]

Travellers on Asian airlines check in all kinds and sizes of containers.

The airline will not accept responsibility for loss and/or damage if it is
not a suitably secure container.

Old October 7th, 2009, 07:22 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Louis Krupp[_2_]

Term Limits Now wrote:
Anyone tried this? I would like to check a plastic bin instead of a
piece of luggage. The bin meets the size requirements of the airline.
A call to the airline resulted in a confused rep who was not able to
answer my question. I'm thinking that to the airline the type of
container should make no difference. That is, assuming that the bin
is strong enough to hold the contents.

The airline might put it in a big plastic bag. I've had that happen
occasionally with my backpack; maybe it was because it had a few
straps, and maybe just because it was ... different. Either way, the
bag can't hurt.

Louis
Old October 8th, 2009, 04:15 AM posted to rec.travel.air
jessica_smith_nyc

Yeah they will wrap it in a plastic bag and tag it..........

--
http://www.moviesitearchive.com

Old October 8th, 2009, 05:30 AM posted to rec.travel.air
DevilsPGD[_2_]

In message William Black
was claimed to have wrote:

Term Limits Now wrote:
Anyone tried this? I would like to check a plastic bin instead of a
piece of luggage. The bin meets the size requirements of the airline.
A call to the airline resulted in a confused rep who was not able to
answer my question. I'm thinking that to the airline the type of
container should make no difference. That is, assuming that the bin
is strong enough to hold the contents.

I've seen people use cardboard boxes as luggage containers.

Been there...

I was moving and ended up with about a box more stuff then I'd thought
was going home with me, so with my empty suitcases already several
hundred KMs away, my remaining empty boxes were my best bet.

Not even a blink from anyone at the airline either.
Old October 9th, 2009, 12:47 AM posted to rec.travel.air
paul dietz

I used to work Ramp Service. I've seen plastic bins wrapped with about
a roll of duct tape that came through OK. I've seen some that split
too. Personally, I'd buy a large hard suitcase at a thrift shop & use
it. Only a few bucks and you won't have to bring it back home with you.

Old October 10th, 2009, 06:48 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Tom P[_6_]

Louis Krupp wrote:
Term Limits Now wrote:
Anyone tried this? I would like to check a plastic bin instead of a
piece of luggage. The bin meets the size requirements of the airline.
A call to the airline resulted in a confused rep who was not able to
answer my question. I'm thinking that to the airline the type of
container should make no difference. That is, assuming that the bin
is strong enough to hold the contents.

The airline might put it in a big plastic bag. I've had that happen
occasionally with my backpack; maybe it was because it had a few
straps, and maybe just because it was ... different. Either way, the
bag can't hurt.

Louis

I would never check in a backpack without putting it in some kind of
bag. The reason is that the loose straps hanging off the backpack can
get caught in the baggage handling machinery and get torn off.

I use one of those waterproof stuff bags that's big enough to put the
backpack inside.