Noise levels on bottom level of Holland America Volendam (or similar)

Old February 25th, 2005, 11:24 PM
AL

Default Noise levels on bottom level of Holland America Volendam (or similar)

I was wondering what the noise/vibration level is on the lowest level
(Dolphin Deck) of the Holland America Volendam (or similar class ship) is
.... category (M and MM) ... as compared to the main deck cabins

THanks

Old February 26th, 2005, 12:30 AM
Bill Roddy

I've looked at the Deck Plans of the Volendam. The MM cabins are 52 feet
from the stern. There might be vibration from the screws, depending on sea
conditions, especially if there are swells.
The engine room is midship so that might not be a problem.
The web site for the Dolphin Deck is
http://www.hollandamerica.com/pdfs/fleet/vo_dolphin.pdf

If that doesn't open when you click it, paste into your browser.
Bill
http://shipboard.net

Old February 26th, 2005, 08:02 AM
Brian K

Depending on your cabin location you might hear the ships thrusters as
she positions in port or maintains position at anchor. We were on Main
Deck on Veendam and our cabin actually shook from the thrusters.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera

Old February 27th, 2005, 12:31 AM
AL

Otherwise, while the ship is sailing, is there much to be heard and felt?

Thanks

"Brian K" wrote in message
et...
Depending on your cabin location you might hear the ships thrusters as she
positions in port or maintains position at anchor. We were on Main Deck
on Veendam and our cabin actually shook from the thrusters.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera "Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once!"

Old February 27th, 2005, 01:20 PM

"AL" wrote in message
newsx8Ud.517018$6l.212139@pd7tw2no...
Otherwise, while the ship is sailing, is there much to be heard and felt?

there won't be much....the Volendam uses azipods for propulsion. That means
no long propeller shafts, no transmission or gear box rumble, etc.

Old February 27th, 2005, 01:25 PM

disregard previous...I was reading the wrong information.

Old February 27th, 2005, 01:48 PM
Mike

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 08:20:36 -0500,
wrote:

"AL" wrote in message
newsx8Ud.517018$6l.212139@pd7tw2no...
Otherwise, while the ship is sailing, is there much to be heard and felt?

there won't be much....the Volendam uses azipods for propulsion. That means
no long propeller shafts, no transmission or gear box rumble, etc.

We were in cabin 1939 for 15 nights last fall on a Panama Canal
Cruise. We noticed less vibration and noise than when we had one of
the aft suites on the Zuiderdam earlier last year. However, when
walking down the corridor between the two rear stair areas (between
cabins 1889 & 1911) there was a lot of rumbling.