Windsor Castle vs. Hampton Court Palace

Old December 22nd, 2003, 09:26 AM
Westside

Default Windsor Castle vs. Hampton Court Palace

I'm sure they're both beautiful, but which would you recommend for the
first-time visitor?

Old December 22nd, 2003, 09:52 AM
Keith Willshaw

"Westside" wrote in message
I'm sure they're both beautiful, but which would you recommend for the
first-time visitor?

Windor Castle, not only are the castle and grounds marvellous but
the town is a pretty nice place to visit too.

Keith

Old December 22nd, 2003, 10:04 AM
a.spencer3

Keith Willshaw wrote in message

"Westside" wrote in message
I'm sure they're both beautiful, but which would you recommend for the
first-time visitor?

Windor Castle, not only are the castle and grounds marvellous but
the town is a pretty nice place to visit too.

Keith

Well, I live near both and know them well.
Both are, of course, beautiful.
But it depends what the first-time visitor wants to see.
Hampton Court, by far, gives the best impression of Tudor atmosphere, times
and traditions.
Windsor comes over as more 'modern' but, of course, is a home of the current
Royal Family.
Try and see both! They're both easily accessible for a day trip from London,
for instance.

Surreyman

Old December 22nd, 2003, 10:42 AM
Reid

Following up to Westside

I'm sure they're both beautiful, but which would you recommend for the
first-time visitor?

I prefer Hampton Court. You could arrive by boat the way the
royals used to although probably in less style, or on foot on the
Thames path. This pub round the back does fairly trad english
food:-
"http://www.fellwalk.co.uk/thame349.htm"
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
Old December 22nd, 2003, 11:39 AM
newsgroup_account

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 09:26:05 GMT, "Westside" wrote:

I'm sure they're both beautiful, but which would you recommend for the
first-time visitor?

I prefer Hampton Court palace - lots to see both inside and out, nice
tea rooms, and a fantastic maze to wander through.
--------------------------
Visit Backpacker's Bulletin Board
www.chatarea.com/backpackers
Old December 22nd, 2003, 01:43 PM
Russell

Reid wrote:

Following up to Westside

I'm sure they're both beautiful, but which would you recommend for the
first-time visitor?

I prefer Hampton Court. You could arrive by boat the way the
royals used to although probably in less style, or on foot on the
Thames path.

Agreed. Windsor has more "treasures" and paintings but they tend to be in glass cases like a museum.
Hampton Court is more beautiful and diverse architecturally and has been restored to feel like it belongs to the
periods it represents, rather than as a modern museum. It is also full of art and artefacts which are displayed
in the contexts they were meant to be.
However, if you have access to a car they are both possible in a day - driving time 30-45 minutes between them.

Russell

Old December 23rd, 2003, 02:45 AM
Westside

"Reid" wrote in message

You could arrive by boat the way the
royals used to...

This sounds good. Is the river cruise from Westminster very scenic? I've
read that the journey can be quite long depending on currents.

Old December 23rd, 2003, 06:19 AM
Lil

"Westside" wrote in message t...
I'm sure they're both beautiful, but which would you recommend for the
first-time visitor?

Hampton Court Palace. It's more unique than Windsor Castle. You get
more of a sense of English history--Hampton Court Palace was occupied
by several English monarchs. Most importantly, you're allowed to
wander through the Palace whereas at Windsor you're escorted through
the rooms that are open to the public.

The Hampton Court Palace grounds are also pretty nifty, even though I
saw them at the end of March.

Lil
Old December 23rd, 2003, 07:21 AM
Phil

Westside wrote:

"Reid" wrote in message

You could arrive by boat the way the
royals used to...

This sounds good. Is the river cruise from Westminster very scenic? I've
read that the journey can be quite long depending on currents.

I have not tried it but I have heard that the trick is to go Hampton
Court by train and return by river.

Phil

Old December 23rd, 2003, 08:40 AM
Mike O'sullivan

"newsgroup_account" wrote in message
On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 09:26:05 GMT, "Westside" wrote:

I'm sure they're both beautiful, but which would you recommend for the
first-time visitor?

I prefer Hampton Court palace - lots to see both inside and out, nice
tea rooms, and a fantastic maze to wander through.

I said this before on a newsgroup but I got prejudiced against the maze ever
since I got lost in it, alone, at the age of 10 on a school trip. Nobody
missed me, and after being released by a helpful attendant, I got back to
the school bus only to find I'd lost my sandwiches. these things scar a guy!