Cabot Trail

Old March 5th, 2008, 02:26 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
dioxide45

Default Cabot Trail

We will be touring the Cabot trail in late May this year. Is it best to go
clockwise or counterclockwise around the loop? Also what is weather like in
late May, guessing not lots of tourists yet?

Old March 5th, 2008, 03:01 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Bill in Schenectady

"dioxide45" wrote in message
et...
We will be touring the Cabot trail in late May this year. Is it best to go
clockwise or counterclockwise around the loop? Also what is weather like
in late May, guessing not lots of tourists yet?

IMO, the most scenic part of the road is at the beginning, if going
clockwise or at the end if going counter clockwise. So make your
decision....instant or delayed gratification.

Old March 5th, 2008, 03:21 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
dioxide45

Thanks for the info. We drove the piece from Baddeck to Ingonish several
years ago. From your post I take it you prefer the views on the side with
Cheticamp? We are planning one night in Baddeck and one in Cheticamp. Our
day drive will be spent traveling between the two. Is that doable with
several stops? Likely not a lot of hiking in the park.
Either way we should be able to see the sun set on the western coast.
How is the sunsets there? Would there be any issues with going clockwise and
always turning left in to and out of pull offs all the time. I am thinking
that this is what you would have to do if traveling clockwise.

Thanks,

"Bill in Schenectady" wrote in message

et...

Old March 5th, 2008, 02:17 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
mdrawson

Not sure about the May weather, although I would expect it to be cool and
pleasant. We always preferred doing the Cabot Trail clockwise, simply
because we like being on the "inside" of the seaward edges of the road.
Also, we generally stay at Gisele's in Baddeck, and leave from there to do
the clockwise loop, ending the day at the Keltic Lodge which is at about 1
o-clock on the trail at Ingonish Beach.

It's a great area and we always enjoy it, although we're generally there in
early July.
et...

Old March 5th, 2008, 02:43 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dave Smith

dioxide45 wrote:

Thanks for the info. We drove the piece from Baddeck to Ingonish several
years ago. From your post I take it you prefer the views on the side with
Cheticamp? We are planning one night in Baddeck and one in Cheticamp. Our
day drive will be spent traveling between the two. Is that doable with
several stops? Likely not a lot of hiking in the park.

You should not have a problem. When we did it about 20 years ago we started off
visiting Louisburg for a few hours, saw the Bell museum in Baddeck, had supper
at Neil's harbour and then stayed the night in Chedicamp. We should have spent
more time at Louisburg. That is a great place.

Old March 6th, 2008, 12:05 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
singlemalt

"dioxide45" wrote in message
et...
We will be touring the Cabot trail in late May this year. Is it best to go
clockwise or counterclockwise around the loop? Also what is weather like
in late May, guessing not lots of tourists yet?

Take time to drive up to Meat Cove. Splendid sea coast

Old March 7th, 2008, 01:41 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
dioxide45

Thank you everyone for the responses. I think our plan will be to spend
the first night in Cheticamp. We will be leaving early from Halifax that
morning and staying the night in Cheticamp. We will then drive the loop the
next day and stop in Baddeck. Should this be enough time to see the sights
along the way?
We would have stopped in Ingonish at Keltic Lodge, but it won't be
opened yet for the season. It opens on May 23rd, the day we will be leaving
Baddeck.
When we do travel from Halifax, would we be best to travel 19 instead of
105 up to Cheticamp once we cross the causeway? This would cause us to miss
the inland stretch from the Baddeck area to Margaree Harbour. Would we be
missing out on a lot of great sights?

"mdrawson" wrote in message
Not sure about the May weather, although I would expect it to be cool and
pleasant. We always preferred doing the Cabot Trail clockwise, simply
because we like being on the "inside" of the seaward edges of the road.
Also, we generally stay at Gisele's in Baddeck, and leave from there to do
the clockwise loop, ending the day at the Keltic Lodge which is at about 1
o-clock on the trail at Ingonish Beach.

It's a great area and we always enjoy it, although we're generally there
in early July.
et...

Old March 7th, 2008, 01:19 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
mdrawson

Starting from Cheticamp and going around to Baddeck is a very easy one-day
trip, even allowing for some stops along the way. We've never taken 19 from
the causeway up to Cheticamp, but we'd do that next time since it might be
scenic, running along the coast. As I recall, I don't think you'd be
missing much on the crossover from Baddeck to Cheticamp.

news

"mdrawson" wrote in message
Not sure about the May weather, although I would expect it to be cool and
pleasant. We always preferred doing the Cabot Trail clockwise, simply
because we like being on the "inside" of the seaward edges of the road.
Also, we generally stay at Gisele's in Baddeck, and leave from there to
do the clockwise loop, ending the day at the Keltic Lodge which is at
about 1 o-clock on the trail at Ingonish Beach.

It's a great area and we always enjoy it, although we're generally there
in early July.
et...