GMS phone coverage in Montreal, Lafayette, Boulder, Eugene, San Francisco and Honolulu

Old September 30th, 2004, 03:01 AM
M. Wilkinson

Default GMS phone coverage in Montreal, Lafayette, Boulder, Eugene, San Francisco and Honolulu

I'm bringing a triband GSM phone (900/1800/1900) to Canada and the US. Am
planning to visit Montreal, Lafayette Indiana, Boulder Colorado, Eugene
Oregon, San Francisco and Honolulu.

What are the best prepaid sim cards for these areas, in terms of rates and
coverage within the cities/towns? Is there one card that'll do them all
well?

Marshall.

Old September 30th, 2004, 04:29 AM
Boubaala

My wife and I have just come back from Canada and Seattle, we took a small
GSM phone with us, and you will have to hook up with Rogers pre paid, they
are affiliated with AT & T. in Aussie we only pay for calls from a mobile,
there you pay to receive calls as well, even if you call isn't answered you
pay, ask around at different stores first as some have deals, normally the
hook up is $50.00 to start then .33 a minute, we drove from Vancouver to
Calgary with little loss of signal, we had the most signal loss from Seattle
back to Vancouver. never tried it in Honolulu.

there was another mob called FIDO, but they only worked out of the city
areas, no coverage on the road.

Hope that helps a bit

Michael

Old September 30th, 2004, 12:20 PM
jcoulter

"M. Wilkinson" wrote in
:

I'm bringing a triband GSM phone (900/1800/1900) to Canada and the US.
Am planning to visit Montreal, Lafayette Indiana, Boulder Colorado,
Eugene Oregon, San Francisco and Honolulu.

What are the best prepaid sim cards for these areas, in terms of rates
and coverage within the cities/towns? Is there one card that'll do
them all well?

Marshall.

You will find that Canada and US plans are in general not compatible. My US
phone for instance costs me about a dollar a minute in Canada. So the first
issue is how much time and phone use in Canada or is a US phone the way to
go. . .
Old September 30th, 2004, 10:09 PM
Ted Elston

I just completed a 2 month trip through Alaska,Yukon.B.C. Alberta.
PTI does a interecept on your calls in Alaska and you have to go
through them 1.39 per minute . 39 cents there after.
Canada is nightma I just shut my phone down there due to fact that
every province has different connect points and charges.
No problems in lower 48.

Old October 1st, 2004, 10:16 AM
j.e.r.

"M. Wilkinson" wrote in message ...
I'm bringing a triband GSM phone (900/1800/1900) to Canada and the US. Am
planning to visit Montreal, Lafayette Indiana, Boulder Colorado, Eugene
Oregon, San Francisco and Honolulu.

For having travelled several times the using gsm is no
problem in Montreal, coverage maps available on the internet
are quite reliable.

What are the best prepaid sim cards for these areas, in terms of rates and
coverage within the cities/towns? Is there one card that'll do them all
well?

To my knowledge, Rogers and Fido are the two suppliers for
gms services in Canada - but I gave up buying prepaid sim
cards from both of them [last trip was a year ago] after
discussing their offers with sales-staff mainly because of
very limited possibilites calling abroad and validity periods
of their prepaid sim-cards. So I simply used the sim-cards
from home.

Check www.fido.ca and www.rogers.ca for hopefully better info
and coverage maps

Have a great trip