Please help! Bunac/CCUSA? Best way for UK citizen to get work visa?

Old November 20th, 2004, 06:49 PM
Mark

Default Please help! Bunac/CCUSA? Best way for UK citizen to get work visa?

Hi, i'm a UK student wishing to spend the summer working in the united
states. Since i'm still a Student and will be going back to uni in
September as well to do my final year, I'm told several organisations such
as bunac and ccusa can arrange for a working visa over there.

Has anyone done this before? bunac seems very expensive, is ccusa any
cheaper? And does anyone have any other experience with other
organisations? How easy is it to find work? I've worked in offices in
London before doing admin on around £10 an hour, is this kind of temp work
easily available in cities in the states? And is it easy enough to get more
shop based / resort work if you don't have much experience?

I'd prefer to not have to give to much cash to an organisation, since all i
really want is the work visa, i'd prefer to buy my own flights etc. see, is
ccusa my only option for this? Thanks.

Mark.

Old November 21st, 2004, 10:19 AM
Icono Clast

Mark wrote:
Hi, i'm a UK student wishing to spend the summer working in the
united states.

Were it up to me, you could not get a job in this country until all
of our citizens seeking work had found it, i.e., an official
unemployment rate of no greater than 3%.

But it's not up to me. It's up to you to not take the job of a
citizen of a country you'd like to visit. The citizen NEEDS the job,
you only want it.

When I worked in Germany, the country was desperate for workers. I
was a simple arbeiter paid what was probably the lowest wage in the
country.

Has anyone done this before?

Probably millions.

And does anyone have any other experience with other
organisations?

Probably many tens of thousands.
A San Franciscan who's stickin' t'the union!
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 IClast at SFbay Net
Old November 23rd, 2004, 12:23 AM
Sylvia Ottemoeller

"Mark" wrote in message

Hi, i'm a UK student wishing to spend the summer working in the united
states. Since i'm still a Student and will be going back to uni in
September as well to do my final year, I'm told several organisations such
as bunac and ccusa can arrange for a working visa over there.

Has anyone done this before? bunac seems very expensive, is ccusa any
cheaper? And does anyone have any other experience with other
organisations? How easy is it to find work? I've worked in offices in
London before doing admin on around £10 an hour, is this kind of temp work
easily available in cities in the states? And is it easy enough to get

more
shop based / resort work if you don't have much experience?

Not sure about all that -- the agencies should be able to help. I know that
some resorts, probably not in cities, have a hard time getting help and
depend on the J-1 programs for employees during the busier seasons.

I'd prefer to not have to give to much cash to an organisation, since all

really want is the work visa, i'd prefer to buy my own flights etc. see,

is
ccusa my only option for this? Thanks.

There are a lot of J-1 exchange visitor agencies which are approved to
sponsor people in the "summer work/travel" category. You can shop around
among these. None will be cheap, because the agency must arrange for health
insurance. I've never heard that they insist on making the air travel
arrangements.

Here's a list of sites.

http://www.alliancesabroad.com/ib/wo..._travel_01.htm
http://www.awe-recruitment.freeserve.co.uk/
http://www.bunac.org/
http://www.interexchange.org/worktravel/index.html
http://www.workandtravelusa.net/

If you are interested in the J-1 camp counselor program, there are a lot
more agencies that handle that.

Old December 1st, 2004, 07:02 AM
eric h

In article 1101035007.DUc7S3Zlrt8MsxINIXUJiw@teranews,
Icono Clast wrote:

Were it up to me, you could not get a job in this country until all
of our citizens seeking work had found it, i.e., an official
unemployment rate of no greater than 3%.

Fortunately, work exchange programs are just that: they exchange
jobseekers, ensuring that the number of short-term workers coming here is
offset by some of our kids going over there. So it all evens out.

A friend of mine did the Bunac program going from here to there some years
ago (it was run by CIEE on this end). It seems to work just fine, and if
there's an easier way to do it, I haven't heard of it. I'd urge the
original poster to go for it. The jobs you can get quickly tend not to be
glamorous, and if you're under 21, you won't be working where there's
liquor involved, so no pub/bar jobs.

--
---
"Wake up, everybody."--McFadden/Whitehead/Carstarphen
Old December 1st, 2004, 11:04 AM
Icono Clast

eric h wrote:
Icono Clast wrote:
Were it up to me, you could not get a job in this country until all
of our citizens seeking work had found it, i.e., an official
unemployment rate of no greater than 3%.

Fortunately, work exchange programs are just that: they exchange
jobseekers, ensuring that the number of short-term workers coming here is
offset by some of our kids going over there. So it all evens out.

Good to know. Thank you.
A San Franciscan in 47.335 mile² San Francisco