Aqaba - diving holiday safe?

Old June 15th, 2004, 09:38 AM
00steve

Default Aqaba - diving holiday safe?

Hi,

I was thinking about planning a holiday (maybe next year) to the
costal resort of Aqaba, on the Red Sea, for a spot of scuba diving. I
was wondering, with the current political climate, if this is
generally a safe place to go these days?
Old June 15th, 2004, 12:15 PM
Björn Olsson

00steve wrote:

Hi,

I was thinking about planning a holiday (maybe next year) to the
costal resort of Aqaba, on the Red Sea, for a spot of scuba diving. I
was wondering, with the current political climate, if this is
generally a safe place to go these days?

Yes. Aqaba is a very peaceful place, far away from the problematic areas.

Bjorn
Old June 15th, 2004, 12:15 PM
a.spencer3

00steve wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I was thinking about planning a holiday (maybe next year) to the
costal resort of Aqaba, on the Red Sea, for a spot of scuba diving. I
was wondering, with the current political climate, if this is
generally a safe place to go these days?

Probably amongst the safest of areas in that region.
Along that coast, Egypt, Israel and Jordan are very keen to combine locally
and separate themselves from associated troubles in their nations, to create
a 'non-political' holiday area.
However ... we are frequent visitors to Moslem areas (and Israel) from
Morocco to Jordan. For the last two years we've gone to Med islands instead.
We have friends in these North Africa and M/E areas who assure us that all
would be well and, obviously, many tourists still go with little or no
problem.
BUT ... in the 'new' climate it just needs one crazy ..............
Personally, currently, I would leave it alone, which is nevertheless a great
shame.
If you're not the wimps that maybe we are, then enjoy!

Surreyman

Old June 15th, 2004, 01:23 PM
BrianE

00steve wrote:

Hi,

I was thinking about planning a holiday (maybe next year) to the
costal resort of Aqaba, on the Red Sea, for a spot of scuba diving. I
was wondering, with the current political climate, if this is
generally a safe place to go these days?

My wife and I were in Taba last year. We had a truly wonderful time with
an 'overnighter' to
Cairo.

The scuba and snorkelling were top notch and I'd go back anytime.

Not sure about driving there though.

Old June 16th, 2004, 08:43 AM
Nige

"00steve" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I was thinking about planning a holiday (maybe next year) to the
costal resort of Aqaba, on the Red Sea, for a spot of scuba diving. I
was wondering, with the current political climate, if this is
generally a safe place to go these days?

maybe next year? i am not sure if anyone can predict the future of the
Middle East even one month ahead. however the Red Sea and the Gulf of Aqaba
are super for scuba. if you are staying at Aqaba you also have the chance to
visit Petra and Wadi Rum. Jordanians are wonderful people. So much history
to take in. Those Nabataeans certainly knew a thing or two.

Old June 16th, 2004, 08:58 AM
a.spencer3

Nige wrote in message

"00steve" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I was thinking about planning a holiday (maybe next year) to the
costal resort of Aqaba, on the Red Sea, for a spot of scuba diving. I
was wondering, with the current political climate, if this is
generally a safe place to go these days?

maybe next year? i am not sure if anyone can predict the future of the
Middle East even one month ahead. however the Red Sea and the Gulf of

Aqaba
are super for scuba. if you are staying at Aqaba you also have the chance

visit Petra and Wadi Rum. Jordanians are wonderful people. So much history
to take in. Those Nabataeans certainly knew a thing or two.

And so much more nearby, too - the borders are currently pretty open.
The Negev, southern Sinai (one of the most beautiful desert areas in my
view), St. Catherine's/Mount Sinai. The Dead Sea & Jerusalem are within easy
reach. Cairo & Suez an easy 2-day trip.
Aqaba/Eilat is a fabulous centre.

Surreyman

Old June 18th, 2004, 11:48 PM
00steve

Thanks for the replies.

I forgot to check this post for a couple of days so my apologies.

Im getting fired up about the idea just reading this. I would love to
visit that part of the world. The closest ive been to the middle east
at this point would be Cyprus (last year) when they had cancelled a
good load of the Egypt cruises due to the political climate.

It just seems a terrible shame that many middle east locales are off
limits these days.

Your right, It does only take one 'crazy', or could it be our
goverments that are crazy? hmm.. maybe save that one for another ng
Old June 19th, 2004, 12:22 PM
a.spencer3

00steve wrote in message
om...
Thanks for the replies.

I forgot to check this post for a couple of days so my apologies.

Im getting fired up about the idea just reading this. I would love to
visit that part of the world.

Easily my favourite part of the world.
I can't wait to be able to 'do' Iraq properly, also Libya (now possible but
pricey) & Yemen.
When you do get there I suspect you'll become as much an enthusiast as I. So
much history & scenery in such a relatively small area.
I've 'introduced' several friends to the southern Sinai desert (hardly ever
mentioned by any travel progs, etc. apart from beach hols at Sharm) and
every one of them has become an instant convert.

Surreyman