anyone dive with swahili divers in pemba? thoughts on recent deaths?

Old August 21st, 2005, 09:51 PM

Default anyone dive with swahili divers in pemba? thoughts on recent deaths?

I was planning on diving in the zanzibar or pemba area in the next
couple months. I don't have the time nor money to do a live-a-board,
and Swahili Divers has a great deal. but, then I read this:

http://divesouthafrica.blogspot.com/...ond-press.html

5 divers died. It's really sad. I know accidents can happen, but it
is alarming especially if you look at the last comment.

So, has anyone dove with swahili divers? Do they run a good, safe
operation? Are they responsible? I haven't been able to find out
about anything more about the recent tragic event. Does anyone have
some info?

thanks.

Old August 22nd, 2005, 12:17 AM
Barnacle Bill

In message . com,
" writes

snip
So, has anyone dove with swahili divers? Do they run a good, safe
operation? Are they responsible? I haven't been able to find out
about anything more about the recent tragic event. Does anyone have
some info?

divesouthafrica has earlier postings on this event - with additional
comments:

http://divesouthafrica.blogspot.com/...uba-instructor
-and-4.html

--
Barnacle Bill
Old August 23rd, 2005, 12:10 AM

based on that, it sounds like Neil had a lot of experience, and it's
not clear what happened. The doubt in my mind is whether they should
have been diving in a place with such large currents. And, it
definitely puts some doubts in my mind as to whether I should dive in
Pemba (I haven't dove in a few years) and whether swahili divers is the
way to go. I'll have to think about it. I don't know if there is a
right answer.

thanks for sending me that info.

Old August 24th, 2005, 08:59 AM
Cas

I was planning on diving in the zanzibar or pemba area in the next
couple months. I don't have the time nor money to do a live-a-board,
and Swahili Divers has a great deal. but, then I read this:

http://divesouthafrica.blogspot.com/...ond-press.html

5 divers died. It's really sad. I know accidents can happen, but it
is alarming especially if you look at the last comment.

So, has anyone dove with swahili divers? Do they run a good, safe
operation? Are they responsible? I haven't been able to find out
about anything more about the recent tragic event. Does anyone have
some info?

thanks.

Go with : http://www.zanzibaroneocean.com/ I dove with them in march
2004. Great operation, good guides...

Cas...
Old August 25th, 2005, 03:47 AM

That's a good idea. What did you think of the diving on zanzibar?
What was the visibility like? I was hoping to dive on pemba since I
read that it was better than Zanzibar. But, safety is important, too.
(the other thing I need to figure out is all this election violence
stuff).

thanks!