Are sandflies the same thing as midges?

Old November 6th, 2005, 06:39 AM
Tammy - move2nz.com

Default Are sandflies the same thing as midges?

Dan Stephenson wrote:

Hi, I'm going to New Zealand for two weeks from 3-19 March. I just
bought my Lonely Planet guidebook today, and one of the first things I
noticed in leafing through it are mentions of sandflies. They sound
like the midges I've encountered in Scotland and Ireland.

Are they the same thing? and, is summertime over enough by 3 March for
them to all have died off?

RSVP, please post,

--
Dan Stephenson
Photos and movies from US Parks and all over Europe:

I hate sandflies, I have a bad reaction to them to the point of being
bitten around my ankles my feet swelled so much I couldn't gat my shoes
on. I also got some nasty scars from them......aparently Marmite Spread
is meant to keep them at bay (eating it not smearing your body with
it:0)

We are going up to marlborough sounds in a couple of weeks, so eating
lots of Marmite between now and then......will let you know if it
works.....I do hope so

Old November 6th, 2005, 08:21 AM
Alan S

On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 14:38:26 +1000, "Scotty"
wrote:

Hmmm, they arent actually *that* bad. Yeah, they are a PITA when ya get
bitten but once bitten, and regardless of what yourve got on you WILL get
bitten. Just use calamine lotion and stop the itching, failing that use a
cheap aftershave as the alcohol will dry it up and stop it itching.

Dont let them stop you visiting. If your paranoid them just wear long pants
and long sleeves. Wont stop them but will help out.

Is there a specific coastal area that is worse than others
in February? North or South Island? Particular coastal
strips?

My wife is allergic to the ones here north of Gladstone,
which don't bite but actually lay eggs in you as a host.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old November 6th, 2005, 09:21 AM
Scotty

wrote:

Hmmm, they arent actually *that* bad. Yeah, they are a PITA when ya get
bitten but once bitten, and regardless of what yourve got on you WILL get
bitten. Just use calamine lotion and stop the itching, failing that use a
cheap aftershave as the alcohol will dry it up and stop it itching.

Dont let them stop you visiting. If your paranoid them just wear long
pants
and long sleeves. Wont stop them but will help out.

Is there a specific coastal area that is worse than others
in February? North or South Island? Particular coastal
strips?

My wife is allergic to the ones here north of Gladstone,
which don't bite but actually lay eggs in you as a host.

Cheers, Alan, Australia

Nah, NZ sandflies are just a PITA with itchyness, I dont think that they lay
eggs at all on a host other than in wet areas.

Nothing but whitetail and Katipo (both have redback properties) spiders are
actually poisenous in NZ. Bush walking is a dream there apart from sandflies
if they are there.

Old November 6th, 2005, 01:03 PM
www.poms.co.uk

"Dan Stephenson" wrote in message
Hi, I'm going to New Zealand for two weeks from 3-19 March. I just
bought my Lonely Planet guidebook today, and one of the first things I
noticed in leafing through it are mentions of sandflies. They sound
like the midges I've encountered in Scotland and Ireland.

Are they the same thing? and, is summertime over enough by 3 March for
them to all have died off?

RSVP, please post,

--
Dan Stephenson
Photos and movies from US Parks and all over Europe:
http://homepage.mac.com/stepheda

I tell you thay give a nasty bite those sandflies

--
www.simcard.me.uk/australian_sim_card.htm Australian Sim Cards
www.poms.co.uk/forum/index.php Backpacking Australia Forum.

Old November 6th, 2005, 06:21 PM
Julie

"www.poms.co.uk" wrote in message
"Dan Stephenson" wrote in message
Hi, I'm going to New Zealand for two weeks from 3-19 March. I just
bought my Lonely Planet guidebook today, and one of the first things I
noticed in leafing through it are mentions of sandflies. They sound
like the midges I've encountered in Scotland and Ireland.

Are they the same thing? and, is summertime over enough by 3 March for
them to all have died off?

snip

The sandflies in Australia really like me - if mosquitos find you attractive
the sandflies will also.

They seem to bite mostly at dawn and dusk.

I always go on a course of Vitamin B1 tablets when I am going to be
travelling north. The mosquitos and the sandflies do not find you very
attractive with Vitamin B1 in your blood.

Use deet repellent and cover up - long pants and long sleeves. I have also
been told that wearing white discourages them also but I have not tried that
one.

Don't let them spoil your holiday though - just take precautions.

Julie
Melbourne, Australia

Old November 13th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Nick \(UK\)

"Julie" wrote in message

[...]

Julie,

Is it definitely vitamin B1? I have been told and have always taken B6.

______________________
Nick.

Old November 14th, 2005, 03:45 AM
Julie

"Nick (UK)" wrote in message

"Julie" wrote in message

[...]

Hi Nick,

You had me doubting myself so I checked via Google.

see:

http://www.goldcoast.qld.gov.au/t_standard.aspx?pid=61
http://www.abc.net.au/perth/stories/s1104146.htm
http://www.nt.gov.au/health/cdc/bulletin/sept_2003.pdf

The NT Government leaflet looks very informative.

Kind regards,

Julie

Old November 14th, 2005, 10:57 PM
Nick \(UK\)

"Julie" wrote in message

"Nick (UK)" wrote in message

"Julie" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for the links Julie.

Will change my course to B1 as I'm off to QLD in three weeks, and will be
houseboating around Moreton Bay (plenty of the pesky little things there).

My fiancée has been severely bitten on our last two visits, so much so it
almost resulted in us not being able to fly home on our scheduled flight.

_________________
Nick.

Old November 15th, 2005, 03:51 AM
Dan Stephenson

In article , UK\
wrote:

The mosquitos and the sandflies do not find you very
attractive with Vitamin B1 in your blood.

Uhh, doesn't this require they bite you first to find out?

Do sandflies fly about the same as midges? That is, will a brisk walk
generally keep them at bay?

Old November 15th, 2005, 08:29 AM
Julie

wrote:

The mosquitos and the sandflies do not find you very
attractive with Vitamin B1 in your blood.

Uhh, doesn't this require they bite you first to find out?

Do sandflies fly about the same as midges? That is, will a brisk walk
generally keep them at bay?

--
Dan Stephenson
Photos and movies from US Parks and all over Europe:
http://homepage.mac.com/stepheda

I was bitten whilst standing on the sand at dawn and dusk watching dolphins
in the water at Tin Can Bay.

They seem to be much worse at those times of day.

They can smell the vitamin B1 on you.

Julie