Zimbabwe?

Old November 19th, 2004, 08:01 AM
riverman

Default Zimbabwe?

What's the story, from someone who has been there recently? I want to drive
through in a safari 4WD (a rental with all the appropriate paperwork); we
will have extra fuel reserves, so we won't need to buy much fuel, if any,
while we're there. Is the interior open to tourists, and safe? I'm fully
aware of the troubles there, but often a few tourist dollars are a godsend
to a hurting populace. You hear a lot from both sides; some say it is
completly dangerous and to stay away, others say that the major routes are
completely unaffected as long as you don't spout any anti-ZANU propaganda,
but I want to know from someone in the region, please. We would probably
come in from the North, drive through Harare to Great Zim, then out the
south to SA. Probably spend a total of 3-5 days in the country, and camping
out at night in appropriate places (feel free to provide insights as to
those, too).

TIA
--riverman

Old November 19th, 2004, 11:40 AM
Marc Lurie

I have done this trip many times, and drove from Johannesburg to
Bulawayo and back about two months ago. I take it you'll be entering
from Zambia either at Chirundu or Livingstone/Vic Falls.

The roads are in reasonable condition, and the drive is without major
concerns. If you're on the road, you will, in all likelihood, not have
any hassles whatsoever from anyone. It is possible that you might
encounter some difficulties in smaller towns such as Karoi or Chinoyi,
but not if you're simply stopping off at the town to buy a cold coke
before pushing on. Petrol is currently available at cities and larger
towns, but don't bank on it.

In fact, you will probably not be able to see that the country is in a
shocking state, balanced on the knife-edge of starvation. It just
looks too normal...

You're quite correct, if you keep your mouth shut and stick to the
main routes, you will have an uneventful journey.

Campsites are available throughout Zimbabwe, and I would advise that
you use campsites that have other people staying there. There is a
good campsite at Great Zimbabwe, as well as several around Lake
Muturikwi (Lake Kyle). I would strongly advise that you don't
rough-camp in the bush. Use the campsites.

There are some campsites at Victoria Falls, but I think that the
Zambian campsites are nicer. The municipal campsite at Vic Falls is
not great, but it has the added bonus that elephant sometimes walk
through it at night.

You'll have a great time.

Marc

Old November 19th, 2004, 11:42 AM
Chomkuti

HI

I am a born and raize Zimbabwean and have lived through the last 6
years of political tensions. Yes Zim has been dangereous, but to tell
you the truth the vioulence has been quite restricted away from the
public eye, in all my 32 years of living in this country i have never
seen an act of violence (other than at boarding school) this includes
while being present on our ex family farm while it was invaded. But
there definatlet has been a lot of violence. I would travel happily
within Zim any were, if you have the fuel. Stay of the roads at night
just to be careful and make a point of being polite and friendly to all
you meet esspecially poilce at road blocks. Zimbabweans can not but
responed well to a smilling friendly face.

If you are coming in from the Falls you really should go to Hwange, one
of the very best parks in the world and in Bulawayo Matopos. If you come
in at Kariaba i can only recogmend Mana pools. Down south Great Zim is
still good but accom. a little run down, a little detour on the way to
the bourder will take you to Nduna and Pamushana lodges some of the
very best the safari indusrty has to offer.

If you would like a good contact in Bulawayo get in touch with Beks
through 'www.bekssafaris.com' (http://www.bekssafaris.com)

We could not be more on the nail that in these time people and the
Wildlife need tourist dollars to survive.

Regards
Mark Homann
'www.africanexp.com' (http://www.africanexp.com)

--