Czech hotel please

Old October 5th, 2003, 09:58 AM
howard

Default Czech hotel please

Anyone recommend a cheap hotel in Prague ?

Also a 'must do' itinerary for the rest of the country ?

I'm going for 6 days.

Howard. (reply to: howy.stone at virin.net )

Old October 5th, 2003, 11:56 AM
tim

"howard" wrote in message
Anyone recommend a cheap hotel in Prague ?

Does such a thing exist in Prague?

I suppose it depends on what you are thinking of as cheap?

There are two Ibis hotels in Prague charging about 60 Euro
in the Winter and 90 in the summer, I wouldn't call that cheap
(though this is not to say that I wouldn't pay it) - you'll get a
4/5 star hotel at that price in the rest of CZ.

I can't make any recommendations, when I stayed in Prague
I got a private room from the agency at the station (having
turned down the offer of some no star hotel at the edge of
the city for more than I thought reasonable)

Also a 'must do' itinerary for the rest of the country ?

Cesky Krumlov (do a search on google, comes up often)
Bohemian Paradise (Cesky Raj) stunning rock formations,
tough without a car though.
Moravian Karst (if you like caves).
Many say Telc, though I wasn't impressed (overly restored
IMHO).
Karlovy Vary, the original bits, but unfortunately there's some
60's infill which is awful.
Karlstejn Castle, though only the setting is interesting. Inside
is a complete WOT IMHO (and that of others I'm told). This
is a very short train ride (20 km) from Prague and you will find
hotels here at a quarter of the Prague price.

I'm going for 6 days.

You're not going to do much of an itinery then are you?

tim

Howard. (reply to: howy.stone at virin.net )

Old October 5th, 2003, 02:10 PM
Discover Czech

Hi,

You can try IBIS City in Prague - good price and location.

A day trips from PRague:
- Kutna Hora,
- Karlstejn.

Interesting "rest" of the Czech Republic:
- Cesky Krumlov,
- Telc,
- Olomouc.

More info and suggestions:
http://www.discoverczech.com

Have a nice trip!
Frantisek
Old October 5th, 2003, 03:13 PM
tile

www.volareweb.com advertises a 4 stars hotel
Boscolo hotel for eur 68.
prices in Prague depend on location and season.
try also www.hotels.com
a private accomodation goes for 10 to 15 eur night

Old October 5th, 2003, 04:14 PM
lotte

I recommand the Ibis Hotel in Prague.
bye
Old October 6th, 2003, 02:31 PM
voyager

We found the Hotel Sandra to be both inexpensive and spotlessly clean.
It's about 100 meters from the Opatov underground station and about 10-15
minutes from the central train station but for less than US$40/night for a
double w/bath (last year) a good compromise. Arrangements for this and a
host of other inexpensive hotels can be made at the tourist office at the
central train station. You will also find lots of individuals in the central
train station offering private accommodations in all price ranges. Many
will have pictures of their accommodation and most will also be happy take
you to see them firsthand. If you want to stay in the areas around
Wenceclas (sp?) this might be your best bet.

As for "must do" outside of Prague, Ceske Krumlov (very touristy but still a
great place), Karlovy Vary (expensive!) and my personal favorite Ceske
Budjovice (home of the original Budweiser)

Enjoy

Old October 6th, 2003, 07:15 PM
jt

I wonder why the boat hotel is never mentioned. I think it's
called Albatro Botel or something like albatros - easily findable
site of their own on the web. Spartan, cheap, pretty well located,
and a delightful environment if on the northern side of boat. It's
the turnaround area of tourboats, so you have live music coming
and going half the day.
Old October 6th, 2003, 08:56 PM
tile

they are called Botel
Albatros is one of them.
i guess the only problem is that beds are small..
but the water of the river may help you sleep better.
om...

Old October 9th, 2003, 07:02 PM
Tom Flynn

In rec.travel.europe voyager wrote:
We found the Hotel Sandra to be both inexpensive and spotlessly clean.
It's about 100 meters from the Opatov underground station and about 10-15
minutes from the central train station but for less than US$40/night for a
double w/bath (last year) a good compromise. Arrangements for this and a
host of other inexpensive hotels can be made at the tourist office at the
central train station. You will also find lots of individuals in the central
train station offering private accommodations in all price ranges. Many
will have pictures of their accommodation and most will also be happy take
you to see them firsthand. If you want to stay in the areas around
Wenceclas (sp?) this might be your best bet.

Yes! Though I think the name of the hotel was called the Opatov when we
visited in 1996. Primary advantage is good location to Opatov subway
station. Though we enjoyed central Prague, we also enjoyed the more
"local" color of resturants away from the center (also less expensive).
We had two triple rooms, and would stay there again.

We stayed in an apartment in central Prague (1 block off Narodny) in 1993
which had since gone condo, great location, but I enjoyed taking the
subway (almost had the station names memorized)...but watch our for
pickpockets especially in tourist locations.

We also enjoyed Olomouc, and Cesky Krumlov....10 years ago exactly this
week, our 1st trip there.

--
---------
Tom Flynn