free wifi again

Old June 2nd, 2005, 03:50 PM
chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and

Default free wifi again

In recent threads on free wifi in Europe, it seems that many other
posters have better luck than I do finding any. The college where I
teach in Manchester now offers free wifi in the refectory area (which is
quite large), and makes it obvious this is aimed at visitors as well as
students and staff. I wonder if this is an increasing trend in the UK,
and perhaps Europe as well? I can pick up the wifi from Manchester
University in my teaching room but it's not free- I was only able to
access it once I got a username and password from someone there! (We
have internet access obviously, but no wifi, other than in the refectory
area mentioned.)

Anyway, in trawling the various 'open' wifi websites, I don't remember
reading about educational institutions (I've visited many such places
with wifi, but they've always been closed networks.) I'd be interested
to hear if anyone else has been using open wifi in such places?

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
Old June 2nd, 2005, 04:17 PM
Thomas

[...]

Southampton University does. Not only that, but with th SOWN project, pretty
much a radius of over a mile from the Uni has reception.
http://www.sown.org.uk

Old June 2nd, 2005, 04:32 PM

Thomas wrote:

[...]

Wow. I wonder what companies like BT think of that!

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
Old June 2nd, 2005, 04:49 PM
Thomas

Take a look at http://consume.net , these projects are starting everywhere.

Old June 2nd, 2005, 06:46 PM
Alfred Molon

BTW, beware of Wifi phishing and only connect to Wifi networks you are
familiar with.
--

Alfred Molon

http://www.molon.de/Galleries.htm - Photos from China, Myanmar, Brunei,
Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Nepal, Egypt, Germany, Austria,
Prague, Budapest, Singapore and Portugal
Old June 2nd, 2005, 07:01 PM

Alfred Molon wrote:

BTW, beware of Wifi phishing and only connect to Wifi networks you are
familiar with.

Is this something you'd have to worry about if you have the proper
security on your OS?

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
Old June 2nd, 2005, 07:09 PM
Thomas

BTW, beware of Wifi phishing and only connect to Wifi networks you are
familiar with.

Is this something you'd have to worry about if you have the proper
security on your OS?

Do a google for 'wifi evil twin'

Basically somebody sits in an airport lounge or such, with a laptop a wifi
card and a GPRS card. If this is the stronger network, windows will connect
to this by default.
The start page is made to look like T-Mobile of such like, and hey presto,
you have all their personal information.
For this reason it is advisable to connect manually to a network.

Old June 2nd, 2005, 09:42 PM

Thomas wrote:

BTW, beware of Wifi phishing and only connect to Wifi networks you are
familiar with.

Is this something you'd have to worry about if you have the proper
security on your OS?

Do a google for 'wifi evil twin'

Basically somebody sits in an airport lounge or such, with a laptop a wifi
card and a GPRS card. If this is the stronger network, windows will connect
to this by default.
The start page is made to look like T-Mobile of such like, and hey presto,
you have all their personal information.
For this reason it is advisable to connect manually to a network.

I have a Mac though, and Firefox specifically avoids that kind of
behaviour. (It didn't at one point though.)

Interesting, nevertheless!

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net