Shimba Hills National Park

Old January 21st, 2006, 12:24 AM posted to rec.travel.africa

Default Shimba Hills National Park

Thanks Pat

I know a little about the area from our trip last summer.
Key for me this time is the Shimba Hills - for the Sable antelope and the
bush walks - and the Colobus Trust, as I'm taking some stuff out for them.
The hotel will only be for sleep, eat and swim anyway!

Really good couple of websites - thanks for those.

I often look in on the BBC Africa section (including radio!),
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/default.stm but it doesn't really
cover the local stuff.

Rgds

Charles

"Pat Anderson" wrote in message
Charles,
Diani Sea Lodge should be fine. I hope all your plans work out and you
have a great time.
Have you been to: http://www.kenyabeach.com there is some info. on
Diani as well as Mombasa and Malindi. I read the Kenya news online and
tourism seems to be up again after a long time in the doldrums. For the
coast I read Coastweek which comes out weekly on Friday but isn`t
usually online till Saturday. http://www.coastweek.com/
Pat.

n message , Rydale
writes
Thanks all for your help.
I'm not sure I believe the Shimba lodge is 5 star - but hey, who's

counting!

I'm booked up for flights, and just waiting for a local agent chap to
confirm the Shimba hills (3 nights) and Diani Sea lodge (not great, but

the
sunshine and beach is the same) for 4.

Should be there on 6th Feb - hooray!

I'll let you know what I find out about Shimba.

Rgds
Charles

"Pat Anderson" wrote in message
Charles,

Take a look at this link:

http://www.africapoint.com/hotels/hotel.asp?hotelid=73

Pat

In message , Pat Anderson
writes
In message , Pat Anderson
Charles,
I`ve tried to write to Block at their website and despite giving all
requested info. All I get is an error notice--- sorry!
Pat.

writes

Hi Charles,
I`m sure Lets Go will help you, I wonder if Block have ceased
managing Shimba Hills? Block have reduced the number of hotels and
lodges in their name considerably over the years, when we left Kenya
finally in 1987 after my husband finished his work there I went into
Block hotels in Nairobi and booked us into The Outspan hotel, Lake
Naivasha, Samburu lodge, Nyali Beach hotel, Sindbad hotel, Malindi,
the Aberdare Country Club, we had five weeks in these hotels before
leaving Kenya, since then things have changed and many properties are
no longer Block hotels. Out of interest I could contact them and

ask.
I hope you can work something out.
Best wishes,
Pat.

In message , Rydale
writes
Hi Pat

Ah if only it were as simple as it should be...
Of course its high season there -I thought I would get a cheap deal

in
February....

The blockhotels website (www.blockhotelske.com) only covers Nyali

Beach,
Lake Naivasha and Lake Baringo, so not much good for me! Maybe

they've
the
Shimba lodge to someone else recently?
Can't find a reference to it belonging to anyone else though.

I've dropped a note to Lets Go - thanks for the tip.

It may not happen, but I hope I can get there
The Colobus Trust is one of the reasons I'm going - I need to

transport
few things over to Pam there.

Cheers

Charles

"Pat Anderson" wrote in message
In message , Rydale
writes
Hi all

I'm hoping to sneak back to Kenya next month for a week (annual

Africa
'fix'
required..)
Probably going back to Diani for some R&R, and hoping to go to

the
Shimba
Hills park up the road.

Has anyone got any useful info or experiences of this park?
In particular, what's the best way to arrange a couple of days

there?

I know all (?) the hotels on the beach will arrange trips, but

I'm
sure I
can do better booking ahead.
Is it better to stay in the lodge, or camping?
Any tips?

Thanks for any info.

Charles

Hi Charles,
Good to hear you are going to Diani,I hope you have a great trip,

are
you going to visit the Colobus Trust?
Shimba Hills lodge is not very big and it is high season so I`d

try
book soon. Have you checked out Lets Go travel in Nairobi? They

have
good website and are very reliable, or you could go to Block

Hotels
website and check availability there. Enjoy yourself!
Pat.
--
Pat Anderson

--
Pat Anderson

--
Pat Anderson

Old January 21st, 2006, 08:20 AM posted to rec.travel.africa

"Rydale" schreef in bericht
I'm no expert on spiders, but did find this guy on Diani Beach last year -

http://www.tomalin.org/bedford/kenya...s/IMG_1535.jpg

I think its a form of Golden Orb spider (Nephila) - around 10-15cm long

(oh
yes!) - but no idea if its poisonous.
It was in a colony of half a dozen or so - many webs all in one area.

I did keep a sensible distance.

Charles

Looks quite similair to the Golden Orb in Southern Africa. Females are much
bigger then males, and when she is ready to mate, he 'plays the violin'. He
vibrates the web, but no to intens (otherwise she thinks he's a prey)....
This happens when she is eating prey, then the female mates with her, and
after that he makes his retreat, otherwise the female may eat him.

Females can inflict a painful bite, but as far as is known, none venomous.

However, Orb spiders are not communal spiders.

Bushregards,

Corné.

www.amukela.com

Old January 21st, 2006, 09:53 AM posted to rec.travel.africa

I know it as "Mombasa train". I don't know whether it is
poisonous, but almost certainly not for us humans.

Mombassa express, Shongololo express (shongololo is zulu for centipide,
however is is a millipide) are the common names.
They don't have a poisonous bite/sting, but can squirt a fluid which
contains cyanide. Centipide however can inflict a poisonous bite.

If you touch them and they roll up then it's a female, male just keep on
going (this I have learned from a Shangaan tracker, but actually I don't
recall why this is so).

Not sure which animals eat millipedes, I taught civet cats and honey badgers
did.

Corné.

www.amukela.com

Old January 21st, 2006, 11:47 AM posted to rec.travel.africa

This is why I like this group - a veritable cornucopia of useful
information.
(sorry, went a bit poetic there).

All this info makes Africa even more appealing - can I live there please?

Charles

Old January 21st, 2006, 11:49 AM posted to rec.travel.africa

I'm sure its related to the Golden Orb, as it does produce yellow
colouration in the silk - particularly around the centre of the web.

However, theese certainly were acting communally (or maybe it was just a
particularly good hunting spot - they were over a pond in the hotel grounds)

Charles

Old January 21st, 2006, 12:09 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

Yes, the yellow color is typical for these webs. 7 times stronger then
steel! Amazing....

Corné.

"Rydale" schreef in bericht

Old January 21st, 2006, 12:10 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

"Rydale" schreef in bericht
This is why I like this group - a veritable cornucopia of useful
information.
(sorry, went a bit poetic there).

All this info makes Africa even more appealing - can I live there please?

Charles

Haha, yes you can live here. Or even visit it for longer periods.

Bushregards,

Corné.

www.amukela.com

Old January 21st, 2006, 01:47 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

Have been to Shimba Hills quite a while ago - must have been around
1993 - and we just loved it. Went up there with my family for two or
three days (around July I'd say) and during that time we hardly spottet
any other tourists there - quite amasing and even a bit frightening at
times.

We were camping and apparently the camp site had just recently been
established when we got there - could very well be that we were the
first guests ever (for sure we were the only ones then ...). Before,
when entering the park and asking for directions to the camp site, I
could tell from the faces of the guys at the entrance that they were
kind of worried if we would manage there. As a result, right after the
first night two wardens came driving up to us in their 4x4, to
personally check if everything was okay with us. Quite caring that was!
They then invited me to join them on their ride to check a group of
elephants just a few miles away. Well, you just can't ask for more ...
;-)

Cheers

Old January 23rd, 2006, 07:58 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

Unfortunately my wife isn't as keen as I am, so I would have to come alone
(Don't start me on that chain of thought!!)

"Rydale" schreef in bericht

Old January 23rd, 2006, 08:02 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

Sounds great Paul

Its not quite so wild these days - I will have the luxury of the lodge, with
a number of other visitors I suspect.
However they do still do bush walks - which I am looking forward to. I had a
couple of walks in Tarangire, Tanzania, a couple years ago and it really is
a different experience to driving around in the 'bus.

Looking forward to the Ele's and sable antelope.

Charles

ups.com...