Clothing-Optional resorts: Request for info

Old December 18th, 2003, 09:26 PM
Quiet Voice

Default Clothing-Optional resorts: Request for info

Greetings:

I've tried three times to post this request for information. But it
doesn't seem to be showing up. If it gets posted multiple times -- my
apologies.

We are in the very beginning stages of planning our first "resort"
type vacation and are looking at clothing-optional facilities --
primarily Hedonism in Jamaica (because that's about all we know
about). In the process of doing basic online research we've come
across some confusing and sometimes even conflicting information. So,
I'd like to elicit some firsthand accounts from folks who've "been
there; done that" recently. Thanks!

Firstly, how "optional" are clothing-optional facilities? For example,
I've heard that at Hedonism, they are divided into a "nude" and a
"prude" side. On the nude side you *MUST* be completely naked whereas
on the prude side you are *forbidden* from being unclothed. Is this
true? Furthermore, I read in one place that all the dining facilities
areon the prude side. Yet, I read someplace else that there is a nude
waterslide that passes right over the dining hall. So, as I said,
confusing and conflicting......

Secondly, as I mentioned, thus far all our attention has been devoted
to Jamaica. But this past weekend, we met a couple (non-nudist....I
think) who'd just come back from the Amer. Virgin Islands and RAVED
about the wonderful time they had. Are there any clothing-optional
reorts to be recommended in the Amer VI's?

Finally, what is the situation with photography? I've seen posting
that state that photography is "strictly forbidden" on the nude
beaches of Hedonism, etc. But then I have seen just as many websites
featuring photos the authors have personally taken. Being an avid
photographer, I'd like to have a good understanding of the situation
I'm going to face before I pack up and haul my equipment with me.

Any and all assistance is appreciated....I just hope THIS post makes
it!!

Thanx!
Old December 19th, 2003, 02:50 AM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
(Quiet Voice) wrote:

[...]

Your best source for answers to your questions is
http://www.dennyp.com/

You will find discussion groups, trip reports, etc. He has been running
the website for at least 6 years and has a comprehensive database.
Old December 19th, 2003, 02:06 PM
P Jonke

"Quiet Voice" wrote in message
om...
Greetings:

Secondly, as I mentioned, thus far all our attention has been devoted
to Jamaica. But this past weekend, we met a couple (non-nudist....I
think) who'd just come back from the Amer. Virgin Islands and RAVED
about the wonderful time they had. Are there any clothing-optional
reorts to be recommended in the Amer VI's?

My advice to you would be to avoid the Hedonism resorts unless drunken
debauchery is what you're interested in. For something more tasteful and
romantic (not to mention more beautiful), I would highly recommend Orient
Beach in St Martin. It is not in the American VI group, but is close by.
There are several hotels right on the beach.

Finally, what is the situation with photography?

Orient Beach is a public beach, so photography is allowed. But I think it is
common courtesy to ask people for their permission before taking a snap.

Good luck,

Patrick

Old December 19th, 2003, 03:22 PM
Quiet Voice

WOW!! Finally!!!

I don't know what's up with this posting mechanism but it took 3(!!)
tried to get that message posted....and it looks like it only went to
one of the three newsgroups I selected....???? (rec.nude and
rec.travel.all-inclusive)

Anyway, thanks for the reply!

Your best source for answers to your questions is http://www.dennyp.com/

Thank you for the pointer. I checked out the URL.....but though very
comprehensive, the information is in some cases as problematic as I
had inicated in my original post. For example, pulling up the "What
Newbies need to know" page, I find that it was written in 1999....but
I read on another site that there were some changes in managerial
focus around 2000 (more "family" focus, less overt sexual activity etc
etc). Also, on the newbie page under the FAQ section they respond to
the question "Must I be completely nude...." by saying "Women, no. You
can wear your bottom. Men, yes." So what then is the difference
between a woman "wearing her bottom" on the nude side and simply being
topless on the prude side? Seems like "clothing-optional" is only
optional for women.

The website does have a great deal of information and I will return to
paruse it more. But I'd also like to get information about clothing
optioanl resorts in other locations in the caribbean...specifically
the VI's.

Thanks again for the information!! I'm always open for more
suggestions, pointers, etc.

Old December 19th, 2003, 03:30 PM
Cruising Chrissy

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 02:50:15 GMT, Orval Fairbairn
wrote:

Your best source for answers to your questions is http://www.dennyp.com/

Funny thing about that site. Hedonists who hide their nudity behind
passwords.
Old December 19th, 2003, 04:23 PM
Jaime Leroi

It has been a good many years since I stayed at Hedonism II or
Couples but I have recently stayed at Sunset Beach, Trelawny, Club
Carribbean and Sans Souci in Jamaica. I have also been to Orient
Beach in Saint Maarten which is truly declared as a nude beach rather
than clothing optional.

All of them were truly clothing optional and no one was forced to take
off any more than they wished. Although Heonism was much more raunchy
than any of the others, all of the raunchy activity was optional.
Many couples or families have one or more members who do not feel
comfortable nude so you often see mixed couples on the clothing
optional beach and sometimes, the clothing optional beach is the best
beach so it is used by everyone. At Sans Souci, when I was there a
local insurance company held a weekend retreat and they used the nude
beach for their games and cookout with everyone pretty much clothed.
At all but Heonism, the nude people are more likely to feel
uncomfortable than the clothed ones. Orient Beach is even a
destination for cruise ship excursions and fully dressed cruisers feel
free to walk up and down the beach and gawk.

Officially, photography is discouraged at most of the clothing
optional beaches but enforcement is problematic.

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 09:06:44 -0500, "P Jonke"
wrote:

"Quiet Voice" wrote in message
. com...
Greetings:

Old December 19th, 2003, 04:33 PM
Cruising Chrissy

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 16:23:27 GMT, Jaime Leroi
wrote:

Orient Beach is even a
destination for cruise ship excursions and fully dressed cruisers feel
free to walk up and down the beach and gawk.

This is so true, the gawking and I find that the cruisers or other
gawkers don't understand that to the nude, the show are the gawkers,
not the nudists.

We've got this whole nude/clothed thing backwards and although I
understand how it has happened, I, for the life of me, do not
understand why.
Old December 19th, 2003, 08:02 PM
Quiet Voice

Hi,

Thank you so much for the suggestion! Just the sort of info I'm trying
to elicit.

For something more tasteful and
romantic (not to mention more beautiful), I would highly recommend Orient
Beach in St Martin.

Sounds great!! Just so long as clothing is truly "optional"...neither
mandatory nor forbidden...

....unless drunken debauchery is what you're interested in.

Well, it does have its appeal.. ;-)

But I certainly don't want to be limited to that (or shunned for not
indulging)

Orient Beach is a public beach, so photography is allowed. But I think it is
common courtesy to ask people for their permission before taking a snap.

Oh of course! I'm more concerned with being able to take photos of
myself and the SO. I'm worried about being sanctioned against even
bringing camera equipment to the beach at all.....which is why I'm
curious about all the photos that populate websites taken at resorts
that supposedly "forbid" photography.

Old December 19th, 2003, 10:15 PM
Ian

[...]

There is a nude and a prude side at Hedonism, but it's not a case of thou
shalt not meet. Nudist are asked not to go naked on the prude side, but
non-nudists can get away with being on the nude beach whilst only going
topless. Although i think if you are the only person with a bikini bottom /
shorts on, it will soon come off.

Secondly, as I mentioned, thus far all our attention has been devoted
to Jamaica. But this past weekend, we met a couple (non-nudist....I
think) who'd just come back from the Amer. Virgin Islands and RAVED
about the wonderful time they had. Are there any clothing-optional
reorts to be recommended in the Amer VI's?

Don't know about AVI but my sister said Grenada was nice. She and her
partner go nude when they get the chance. More often than myself. She's
currently in St Lucia, so it will be next week before she gives me the
lowdown on that island.

Finally, what is the situation with photography? I've seen posting
that state that photography is "strictly forbidden" on the nude
beaches of Hedonism, etc. But then I have seen just as many websites
featuring photos the authors have personally taken. Being an avid
photographer, I'd like to have a good understanding of the situation
I'm going to face before I pack up and haul my equipment with me.

Think it depends if you are going to take sneaky voyeur type shots and hope
you don't get spotted :-) I think if you ask you may get some good
photographed she will always let him have a good show, standing in front of
the camera, or lying on her back and letting her legs go apart.

Any and all assistance is appreciated....I just hope THIS post makes
it!!

yep, it made it

Ian

Old December 20th, 2003, 02:12 PM
philandterri

We are in the very beginning stages of planning our first "resort"

type vacation and are looking at clothing-optional facilities --

primarily Hedonism in Jamaica (because that's about all we know

about). In the process of doing basic online research we've come

across some confusing and sometimes even conflicting information. So,

I'd like to elicit some firsthand accounts from folks who've "been

there; done that" recently. Thanks!

We have been to Hedo III 5times, and planning our 6th trip, so maybe
I can help you.

Firstly, how "optional" are clothing-optional facilities?

On the nude side, men must be naked, and women have to be topless,
only due to that monthly problem that may occur.

On the prude side, men must wear pants, and women CAN be topless.

I read in one place that all the dining facilities

are on the prude side.

Yes all of the dinning is on the prude side, and you must be clothed
to eat in them. the only place to eat nude is at the nude pool grill
that serves food from 11 am to 5 pm

Yet, I read someplace else that there is a nude

waterslide that passes right over the dining hall

The waterslide goes through the disco...not the dinning hall.

Finally, what is the situation with photography? I've seen posting

that state that photography is "strictly forbidden" on the nude

beaches of Hedonism, etc. But then I have seen just as many websites

featuring photos the authors have personally taken. Being an avid

photographer, I'd like to have a good understanding of the situation

I'm going to face before I pack up and haul my equipment with me.

OK...a touchy problem but here goes. Phots and cameras are not always
welcome at the nude side. If you plan on taking some photos at the
nude pool, try to get there early in the morning when most are still
sleeping or having breakfast. You can get some very good morning
light for photos. Second if you want to shoot a few photos and there
are people there, just ask the people around you if it is ok first.
Even on PJ night it some times is better to ask first.

I hope this helps you with your questions.