Ummm.........

Old January 4th, 2013, 09:25 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Stephen Ellenson

Default Ummm.........

........ does anyone actually discuss travel in this newsgroup anymore?????

Old January 5th, 2013, 02:14 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

Default Top Three Travel Experiences? Ummm.........

(1) The vision westward over the Santorini caldera at sunset, from the
cliffside in Fira. What a spectacular vision. It is hard to imagine
such a sight could exist contained within one's eyes:

http://stepheda.com/Grand_Tour_2002_...Photos.html#26

(2) Atop the circuit walls of ancient Messene, in the Peloponnese of
Greece. Connect with biting tragic history, alone atop the ancient
smooth stonework, in the wind:

http://stepheda.com/Grand_Tour_2009/...ay_64.html#144

(3) In the heather in Cornwall, near a megalithic monument. I hope to
go out with this image in my mind.

http://stepheda.com/England_2006/Day_7.html#3

What are you top experiences travelling in Europe?

--
Dan Stephenson
http://stepheda.com

Old January 5th, 2013, 08:08 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

What are you top experiences travelling in Europe?

Grabbing them at random from the top of my mind, and for different reasons,
in no particular order. . .

Although Germany and Austria are my favorite places to vist, for one-trip
experiences:

Orkney with my very own archaeologist guide and no group to leave me
behind.

A bit of England and Wales hunting castles and even older sites with two
friends was also the most sheer fun.

A saga-emphasis group trip to Iceland with one of my all- time
single-moment high points: Thingvellir all to myself when cold rainy wind
had driven the rest of the group back to the bus.

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
Old January 5th, 2013, 08:33 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
poldy

In article ,
Erilar wrote:

What are you top experiences travelling in Europe?

Grabbing them at random from the top of my mind, and for different reasons,
in no particular order. . .

Although Germany and Austria are my favorite places to vist, for one-trip
experiences:

Orkney with my very own archaeologist guide and no group to leave me
behind.

A bit of England and Wales hunting castles and even older sites with two
friends was also the most sheer fun.

A saga-emphasis group trip to Iceland with one of my all- time
single-moment high points: Thingvellir all to myself when cold rainy wind
had driven the rest of the group back to the bus.

Sunnier places don't rate?
Old January 6th, 2013, 01:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

poldy wrote:
In article ,
Erilar wrote:

What are you top experiences travelling in Europe?

Grabbing them at random from the top of my mind, and for different reasons,
in no particular order. . .

Although Germany and Austria are my favorite places to vist, for one-trip
experiences:

Orkney with my very own archaeologist guide and no group to leave me
behind.

A bit of England and Wales hunting castles and even older sites with two
friends was also the most sheer fun.

A saga-emphasis group trip to Iceland with one of my all- time
single-moment high points: Thingvellir all to myself when cold rainy wind
had driven the rest of the group back to the bus.

Sunnier places don't rate?

Other group members don't flee to the bus as quickly on sunny days, of
which we had many. It was May in Iceland, however. Nevertheless, it was
mostly warmer than early May in Orkney. Cold doesn't bother me much, but
heat wipes me out quickly.

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
Old January 6th, 2013, 04:14 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

On 2013-01-06 07:32:27 -0600, Erilar said:

poldy wrote:
In article ,
Erilar wrote:

[...]

You can always put on more clothes.

I like the cool overcastness of the British Isles.

Which is a problem for me since I am also a fan of ancient Greek ruins,
and Greece is the antithesis of the British Isles.

Old January 5th, 2013, 09:49 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
JohnT[_8_]

"Erilar" wrote in message
What are you top experiences travelling in Europe?

Grabbing them at random from the top of my mind, and for different
reasons,
in no particular order. . .

Although Germany and Austria are my favorite places to vist, for one-trip
experiences:

Orkney with my very own archaeologist guide and no group to leave me
behind.

A bit of England and Wales hunting castles and even older sites with two
friends was also the most sheer fun.

A saga-emphasis group trip to Iceland with one of my all- time
single-moment high points: Thingvellir all to myself when cold rainy wind
had driven the rest of the group back to the bus.

And Charles de Gaulle Airport?
--
JohnT

Old January 6th, 2013, 01:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

"JohnT" wrote:
"Erilar" wrote in message ...
What are you top experiences travelling in Europe?

Grabbing them at random from the top of my mind, and for different reasons,
in no particular order. . .

Although Germany and Austria are my favorite places to vist, for one-trip
experiences:

Orkney with my very own archaeologist guide and no group to leave me
behind.

A bit of England and Wales hunting castles and even older sites with two
friends was also the most sheer fun.

A saga-emphasis group trip to Iceland with one of my all- time
single-moment high points: Thingvellir all to myself when cold rainy wind
had driven the rest of the group back to the bus.

And Charles de Gaulle Airport?

Absolute worst airport I've ever suffered. I know avoid it as the plague
it is.

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
Old January 22nd, 2013, 02:03 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_6_]

On 01/05/2013 03:14 AM, Dan Stephenson wrote:
(1) The vision westward over the Santorini caldera at sunset, from the
cliffside in Fira. What a spectacular vision. It is hard to imagine
such a sight could exist contained within one's eyes:

http://stepheda.com/Grand_Tour_2002_...Photos.html#26

(2) Atop the circuit walls of ancient Messene, in the Peloponnese of
Greece. Connect with biting tragic history, alone atop the ancient
smooth stonework, in the wind:

http://stepheda.com/Grand_Tour_2009/...ay_64.html#144

(3) In the heather in Cornwall, near a megalithic monument. I hope to
go out with this image in my mind.

http://stepheda.com/England_2006/Day_7.html#3

What are you top experiences travelling in Europe?

A group of us are walking across Europe.. bit by bit. The route is
following the Camino Santiago. Due to work commitments, we walk for two
to three weeks every two years, go home, then travel back to the last
point we reached. Starting at Lake Constance in Switzerland, we have
reached the village of Saugues in France, some 200 km southwest of Lyon.