Ummm.........

Old January 21st, 2013, 11:03 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman[_3_]

Default Marathon Delphi, Greece Top Three Travel Experiences?

On 2013-01-20 14:02:05 -0600, Poetic Justice said:

Dan*Stephenson wrote;

-- but *Greece* itself is just incredible!

And furthermore all the myths are set

there.

Including modern day Marathon Race myths:-).

http://tinyurl.com/bcuje9k

It's a nice blogpost on the myth of the 490BC Marathon battle site to

Athens messenger run that didn't happen.

I suppose it's possible that a messenger was sent but even if so, it was

such a very minor event that it wasn't recorded nor was the runner's

name.

Plus a 26mi run was a 'cake walk' for those messengers and if he dropped

dead at the end of it he was in the wrong line of work:-). Regards,

Walter

True, there were professional runners in those days, however, if I

remember the history of the situation, the Greeks were very concerned

the Persians were going to go around Cape Sounion and land near Athens

itself. The runner wasn't just bringing word of the victory. He was

also giving a warning, so maybe time was more of the essence and he

didn't jog the whole way, but sprinted? One's person's hypothesis.

Visiting the Marathon site was one of my favorite experiences in

Greece. It was so COOL to drive down the beach drive and ahead of me

was the very beach where the Persians landed! And there is a great

little museum a little inland that houses the very Ionic column erected

in commemoration of the victory. How cool is that. A bit to the

south/west is the mound of the Plateans and some cool tombs.

I am in love with Britain, but, my, Greece is so special. If only it

had British weather, it would be perfect! I hate the Greek sun, it is

brighter than any other sun I've experienced. It must be all the light

colored rock at the sites I visit, reflecting the sunshine.

--

Dan Stephenson

http://stepheda.com

Travel pages for Europe and the U.S.A. (and New Zealand too)

We go to Greece to escape the Brit weather! :-))
Old January 21st, 2013, 02:35 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
S Viemeister[_2_]

On 1/21/2013 4:06 AM, Martin wrote:
On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 20:56:54 -0600, Dan Stephenson

I am in love with Britain, but, my, Greece is so special. If only it
had British weather, it would be perfect! I hate the Greek sun, it is
brighter than any other sun I've experienced. It must be all the light
colored rock at the sites I visit, reflecting the sunshine.

If Scotland had Greek weather it would be perfect too.

If Scotland had Greek weather, I'd wither.
Old January 21st, 2013, 10:31 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
S Viemeister[_2_]

On 1/21/2013 4:24 PM, Martin wrote:
wrote:
On 1/21/2013 4:06 AM, Martin wrote:
On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 20:56:54 -0600, Dan Stephenson
I am in love with Britain, but, my, Greece is so special. If only it
had British weather, it would be perfect! I hate the Greek sun, it is
brighter than any other sun I've experienced. It must be all the light
colored rock at the sites I visit, reflecting the sunshine.

If Scotland had Greek weather it would be perfect too.

If Scotland had Greek weather, I'd wither.

but be midge free.

Unlike others in the area, we have midge-proof screens on our windows (I
made them). We also have midge-proof jackets, so that when I work in the
garden and wake up thousands of the beasties, they can't get to me.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 02:11 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

Default Marathon Delphi, Greece Top Three Travel Experiences? Ummm.......

wrote:
I am in love with Britain, but, my, Greece is so special. If only it
had British weather, it would be perfect! I hate the Greek sun, it is
brighter than any other sun I've experienced. It must be all the light
colored rock at the sites I visit, reflecting the sunshine.

If Scotland had Greek weather it would be perfect too.

Hey what is wrong with Scotland weather? The only time I think I'd
dislike is midge-hatching season.

Old January 22nd, 2013, 02:19 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

On 2013-01-21 15:47:38 -0600, Martin said:

If Scotland had Greek weather it would be perfect too.

If Scotland had Greek weather, I'd wither.

but be midge free.

Unlike others in the area, we have midge-proof screens on our windows (I
made them). We also have midge-proof jackets, so that when I work in the
garden and wake up thousands of the beasties, they can't get to me.

We have mosquito netting on all our windows and on a bedroom balcony
door.

Seriously, my last post was prior to seeing this traffic.

I missed midge season, purposely, but I did encounter some when I
visited Ireland. Fortunately, midges fly more slowly than a brisk
walk! I was at the Ladies' View beauty spot, would take a picture, jog
around in a wide circle to lead the midges away, dash back to the photo
position, take a picture; repeat; repeat; jump back into the car. heh

Old January 22nd, 2013, 03:09 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
S Viemeister[_2_]

On 1/21/2013 8:19 PM, Dan Stephenson wrote:

I missed midge season, purposely, but I did encounter some when I
visited Ireland. Fortunately, midges fly more slowly than a brisk
walk! I was at the Ladies' View beauty spot, would take a picture, jog
around in a wide circle to lead the midges away, dash back to the photo
position, take a picture; repeat; repeat; jump back into the car. heh

Lee Valley has excellent lightweight midge-protection gear.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 03:17 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
S Viemeister[_2_]

wrote:
I am in love with Britain, but, my, Greece is so special. If only it
had British weather, it would be perfect! I hate the Greek sun, it is
brighter than any other sun I've experienced. It must be all the light
colored rock at the sites I visit, reflecting the sunshine.

If Scotland had Greek weather it would be perfect too.

Hey what is wrong with Scotland weather? The only time I think I'd
dislike is midge-hatching season.

Late January isn't so great, either. But the rest of the time, I love it.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 03:03 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_6_]

Default Top Three Travel Experiences? Ummm.........

On 01/05/2013 03:14 AM, Dan Stephenson wrote:
(1) The vision westward over the Santorini caldera at sunset, from the
cliffside in Fira. What a spectacular vision. It is hard to imagine
such a sight could exist contained within one's eyes:

http://stepheda.com/Grand_Tour_2002_...Photos.html#26

(2) Atop the circuit walls of ancient Messene, in the Peloponnese of
Greece. Connect with biting tragic history, alone atop the ancient
smooth stonework, in the wind:

http://stepheda.com/Grand_Tour_2009/...ay_64.html#144

(3) In the heather in Cornwall, near a megalithic monument. I hope to
go out with this image in my mind.

http://stepheda.com/England_2006/Day_7.html#3

What are you top experiences travelling in Europe?

A group of us are walking across Europe.. bit by bit. The route is
following the Camino Santiago. Due to work commitments, we walk for two
to three weeks every two years, go home, then travel back to the last
point we reached. Starting at Lake Constance in Switzerland, we have
reached the village of Saugues in France, some 200 km southwest of Lyon.

On 2013-01-04 15:25:25 -0600, Stephen Ellenson said:

....... does anyone actually discuss travel in this newsgroup
anymore?????

Old January 24th, 2013, 06:22 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

wrote:
I am in love with Britain, but, my, Greece is so special. If only it
had British weather, it would be perfect! I hate the Greek sun, it is
brighter than any other sun I've experienced. It must be all the light
colored rock at the sites I visit, reflecting the sunshine.

If Scotland had Greek weather it would be perfect too.

Hey what is wrong with Scotland weather? The only time I think I'd
dislike is midge-hatching season.

Force 8 gale Max 16C torrential rain for the whole of the first week
of August when at the same time it was around 30C in N Yorkshire?

Sounds exciting!

Old January 25th, 2013, 08:47 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

On Thu, 24 Jan 2013 10:25:11 +0100, Martin wrote in post :
:

Force 8 gale Max 16C torrential rain for the whole of the first week
of August when at the same time it was around 30C in N Yorkshire?

Sounds exciting!

It was in a 28' sailing boat.

I read that as 28" at first. Gave me a bit of a surprise

--
Tim C.