4 hours in Taipei

Old November 27th, 2003, 01:37 AM
Craig

Default 4 hours in Taipei

Hello...next March I will have a 4 hour layover at CKS (Taipei) airport. I
understand that I likely will not have time to head into town and do any
sightseeing, but is there anything to see very near the airport? Would it
be feasable to hire a taxi to give me a quick 1 hour tour or something to
that effect? Never been to Taiwan before so I'm curious. Also, my luggage
will be checked in Manila for travel onward to CVG via LAX. Will this cause
any problems for my luggage (i.e., being removed from plane) if I exit the
airport for an hour or two? Thanks in advance for the advice.
Craig

--
"They that can give up essential liberty to
obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither

Concerned with the direction our government
is going? VOTE LIBERTARIAN

Old November 27th, 2003, 07:33 AM
Mette Lian

Maybe the airport may be worthwhile itself. I remember Singapore
Changi where the airport muzac actually was performed by a
string quartet. I sat down with my Heineken and gave them
a listen before I went shopping. They were really good.

Mette Li

Old November 27th, 2003, 11:32 AM
Spehro Pefhany

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 01:37:24 GMT, the renowned "Craig"
wrote:

Hello...next March I will have a 4 hour layover at CKS (Taipei) airport. I
understand that I likely will not have time to head into town and do any
sightseeing, but is there anything to see very near the airport? Would it
be feasable to hire a taxi to give me a quick 1 hour tour or something to
that effect? Never been to Taiwan before so I'm curious. Also, my luggage
will be checked in Manila for travel onward to CVG via LAX. Will this cause
any problems for my luggage (i.e., being removed from plane) if I exit the
airport for an hour or two? Thanks in advance for the advice.
Craig

There's an air museum right near the airport, might be worth going to.
I see it every time I pass through CKS airport but have never checked
it out.

----

The Chiang Kai-shek Aviation Museum
The Chiang Kai-shek Aviation Museum is located next to the CKS
International Airport Hotel, two kilometers from the airport terminal
building. The museum features exhibitions focusing on the history of
aviation development both in ROC and in the world.

You could also research Tzuhu (where the old generalissimo himself is
awaiting his return to the mainland) to see if it's doable.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Old November 27th, 2003, 01:15 PM
Petter Eftevik

But remember, Changi is the most exellent airport on the face
of this planet (IATA awards), so it may be abit unfair to project
this expectation level onto Taipei... just a thought

Preft

Old November 27th, 2003, 04:38 PM
Miguel Cruz

Mette Lian wrote:
Maybe the airport may be worthwhile itself. I remember Singapore
Changi where the airport muzac actually was performed by a
string quartet. I sat down with my Heineken and gave them
a listen before I went shopping. They were really good.

I haven't been to Taipei for a few years but I don't remember it being any
great source of amusement. A bunch of people walking through really crowded,
narrow corridors, and a lot of vending machines.

miguel
--
See the world from your web browser: http://travel.u.nu/
Old November 27th, 2003, 04:45 PM
Nik

"Petter Eftevik" wrote in message
om...
But remember, Changi is the most exellent airport on the face
of this planet (IATA awards), so it may be abit unfair to project
this expectation level onto Taipei... just a thought

Preft

If Changi is the best - then Taipei right before Yangon in Myanmar must be
at the bottom of the list (and I do not know how the main North Korean
airport is like) at least in Asia...

Have a nice stay!

Nik

Old November 27th, 2003, 05:41 PM
Blake S

"Craig" wrote in message
news
[...]

There's 2 terminals at CKS, and there's very little to do at the old
terminal 1. Terminal 2 has a few more shops and lounges. If you don't have
access to one of the airline lounges, you can pay a small charge to enter
"The More" lounge upstairs in Terminal 2. There's internet, showers, and
snacks there, among other things. I know EVA and United use terminal 2, and
China Airlines and Cathay use terminal 1. Can't remember the others. CKS
has a website at http://www1.cksairport.gov.tw/english/

Taipei is about a 45 minute drive, so you probably don't have time to see
the city, and there's really nothing to do near the airport. I've seen the
air museum too as I pass by, but it doesn't look like much. Sometimes
there's a retired China Airlines A300 or a "Grand Air" (out of business?)
737-200 sitting around.