Immunization medication/Vaccines for African Safari

Old February 22nd, 2004, 09:59 PM
Mark

Default Immunization medication/Vaccines for African Safari

We will be traveling from the U.S. to Kenya and Tanzania in late June. What
vaccines/immunization are 1) recommended and 2) required.

In particular, I have problems with Malaria medication. Is it required?

Thanks, Mark

Old February 22nd, 2004, 10:31 PM
Johan W. Elzenga

Mark wrote:

We will be traveling from the U.S. to Kenya and Tanzania in late June. What
vaccines/immunization are 1) recommended and 2) required.

I don't think anything is required by law, but Yellow Fever, Typhoid,
Polio and Hepatitis A are highly recommended. You don't want this trip
to be your last trip, so consult your doctor.

And read: http://www.passporthealthusa.com/news/vol_13_no_1.asp if you
want a second opinion.

In particular, I have problems with Malaria medication. Is it required?

Not in the sense that it is required by law, but you'd be a fool not to
take it. Malaria kills, period. Not only local people, but also each
year several tourists die because they didn't take any prophylaxis and
got cerebral malaria. Take Malarone. That is is a very effective
prophylaxis and has very few side effects.

--
Johan W. Elzenga johanatjohanfoto.nl
Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/
Old February 22nd, 2004, 11:04 PM
Liz

In message jL8_b.8754$CQ6.3026@fed1read05
"Mark" wrote:

We will be traveling from the U.S. to Kenya and Tanzania in late June. What
vaccines/immunization are 1) recommended and 2) required.

You are always best to seek qualified medical advice.
The situation changes, so that some times different prophylaxis are needed.

In particular, I have problems with Malaria medication. Is it required?

Yes, definitely.
But there are more choices nowadays.
Again, a qualified medical practitioner with travel training will be able to
assess the best routine for your needs.

Liz

--
Virtual Liz at http://www.v-liz.co.uk
Kenya; Tanzania; India; Seychelles; Namibia
Old February 22nd, 2004, 11:47 PM
Peter R. Chamlis

Mark, it's not "required". Prudent maybe, but not iron-clad "required".

Have you had problems with Malarone? If so, I'd suggest taking 100 mg per
day of doxyclycline. The CDC includes it as a recommended prophylaxis, and
it's cheaper than malarone.

The biggest supposed side effect involves sun sensitivity, but we've never
had issues with that on trips to both Peru and Namibia.

Pete in Tallahassee, FL

Old February 23rd, 2004, 04:25 AM
Gross50

i'd recommend typhoid and Hep A as a minimum. yellow fever-didnt know it
still exists. if camping then you could be at risk. polio vac dont know
if that is useful unless you will be visiting northern nigeria where
there is a outbreak (no offence meant to nigerians). Anti-malarials are
a must. i'd recommend proguanil (not sure if that is trade name). start
taking at least 1 week before travel. very likely some mosquito will get
a shot at you.

are u allergic to sulphones? if so, take doxycycline.
ask your doctor about other alternatives.

--
John 3:16

Old February 23rd, 2004, 10:54 AM
Rick

"Mark" wrote in message
We will be traveling from the U.S. to Kenya and Tanzania in late June.

What
vaccines/immunization are 1) recommended and 2) required.

In particular, I have problems with Malaria medication. Is it required?

Thanks, Mark

Yes as regards malaria. I am not a doctor, but I would regard taking malaria
precautions as ALWAYS necessary. I wonder whether you are referring to
Lariam (Mefloquine)? I took it on my visits to Africa, and I did not suffer
too badly. But they recommend a cocktail of antimalarial tabs now. However,
the best advice should be to check with the WHO at least a month before your
departure. When I visited Kenya in 2000 they were being strict about Yellow
Fever, and those arriving who could not show any proof of vaccination were
given a jab at the airport. I would also say have Hep A and consider
Meningitis jabs. Consider also a rabies jab: I nearly said "if you think you
will come into contact with animals" but that is superfluous!
Lastly, an unashamed plug for my friend in Nairobi - when I went there as an
innocent, she was helpful, informative and kind. So I promised to recommend
Ana's Tours & Travel, at JKI airport, e-mail
Regards, Rick in London

Old February 23rd, 2004, 01:10 PM
richard b

"Rick" wrote in message

"Mark" wrote in message
We will be traveling from the U.S. to Kenya and Tanzania in late June.

What
vaccines/immunization are 1) recommended and 2) required.

In particular, I have problems with Malaria medication. Is it required?

Thanks, Mark

Yes as regards malaria. I am not a doctor, but I would regard taking

malaria
precautions as ALWAYS necessary.

Between the late 60's and late 70's I contacted malaria 7 times, for the
last 25 years I have never taken a malaraia tablet, and no problems.
But if you can take them you should. The big one is Hepatitis I've had
3 friends who have been very seriously ill after visits to East and Central
Africa
snip
Lastly, an unashamed plug for my friend in Nairobi - when I went there as

an
innocent, she was helpful, informative and kind. So I promised to

recommend
Ana's Tours & Travel, at JKI airport, e-mail
Regards, Rick in London

Fabulous service, they arranged a fly in safari for myself and 2 friends, at
a moments
notice, very reasonable rates. They also helped me get out of Uganda when I
couldn't
get on the plane, even though I had a ticket and boarding pass. I don't know
the
name of the young girl who helped me, but she definately gives far better
service than one
expects in Africa
Cheers
Richard

Old February 27th, 2004, 04:20 PM
Treemoss2

I wouldn't wait til last minute to obtain your shots. You should shop around
also for them. You have your insurance plan, or maybe your country health dept.
You will have to pay your office visit and then the cost of the shots (maybe).
Go on the web sites for the area you are going to and it will tell you what you
need.
I got --

yellow fever - every 10 yrs

typhoid -- oral every 5 yrs
vs shot every 2 yrs

polio IPV booster

hep A (1 + 2) every 10 yrs

I also already had Hep B.
Went to Peru last year and had all but the polio. It was not needed for Peru
but is recommended for S. Africa - next trip.