The "How Can I do this Safari?"

Old March 7th, 2005, 08:59 PM
IndyHazle

Default The "How Can I do this Safari?"

The last few years I have tried to go to Afica, something goes wrong,
this year is my last year before my wife and I start having children.
$$$ are a little tighter, but there are certain things I want to see
before I get wrapped up in childrearing for the next 15 yeaes.

We want to do gorilla trekking in Rwanda/Uganda & also classic safari
in Kenya/Tanzania. Many tours we priced landed at $6000 - $10,000 per
person which is out of the questions.

We are trying to get things more at $4000 per person, not including
airfare from the States. So the key I guess is to cut things. Better
to do a few things than nothing at all.

Gorilla Trekking. I know there is PNV, Bwindi Impenetrable Forest and
the Virungas. Are those the three main spots for seeing gorilla
families? If you could only see the gorillas in one spot, which would
you do? If two?

Also as far as Kenya & Tanzania there are so many spots I would like to
see, but the only way to cut prices is to cut out spots & shorten time.
After listening to lots of advice, many people said if there is only
one spot I can see in all of Africa it is the Ngorongoro Crater. So I
am look at small safaris that only do that for maybe 2 or 3 days? At
at most the next location close by and maxing out the safari at 5 - 7
days.

Also, if we go to Uganda & Rwanda, I would like at least one day on our
own in each capital city. In Rwanda, I want to see the Genocide
Memorial

My wife just found out she can get off the time from work during the
first 3 weeks of October.

So here is what our potential vacation is like (I am just doing this
off the top of my head)

* Fly from USA to Tanzania.
* See Ngorongoro.
* See Serengeti (optional depending on price)
* Fly to Rwanda
* Spend day or two in Kigali on our own.
* See Gorillas
* Drive across to Uganda
* See Gorillas
* 1 day in Uganda capital
* Return to US (would we need to fly back to Tanzania first?)

If you can give us some thoughts on how feasible you think this is, let
me know. I am used to roughing it a bit, so if there are ways to cut
corners and save. We don't have to stick with the one tour company the
whole time. I could see having one company for Ngorongoro, then
catching the plane on our own to Rwanda, getting our own hotel for a
day or two then meeting up with the next compnay for gorillas. I would
do this to save the $$$. I have roughed it in India, Cambodia and
Thailand.

All thoughts appreciated.

Old March 7th, 2005, 10:19 PM
Liz

In message .com
"IndyHazle" wrote:

The last few years I have tried to go to Afica, something goes wrong,
this year is my last year before my wife and I start having children.
$$$ are a little tighter, but there are certain things I want to see
before I get wrapped up in childrearing for the next 15 years.

^^^^^^^^ that's optimistic!

We want to do gorilla trekking in Rwanda/Uganda & also classic safari
in Kenya/Tanzania. Many tours we priced landed at $6000 - $10,000 per
person which is out of the questions.

We are trying to get things more at $4000 per person, not including
airfare from the States. So the key I guess is to cut things. Better
to do a few things than nothing at all.

I'm astonished that you can't get an upper-mid range trip doing what you
want for $4000 pp + airfare, particularly in October: although you mention
you wouldn't mind roughing it, the price you've been quoted is more like
absolute top of the range.

I can't be more specific, hopefully someone can suggest a less-expensive but
reliable company based in the States: I only have to hand UK brochures, and
you can search the web as well as I can!

My wife just found out she can get off the time from work during the
first 3 weeks of October.

I'm a bit uncertain: do you mean you want a 3-week trip, or is that just the
window inside which you can slot a shorter trip? You might have problems
getting 3 weeks for $4000, but not if...[1]

If you can give us some thoughts on how feasible you think this is, let
me know. I am used to roughing it a bit, so if there are ways to cut
corners and save. We don't have to stick with the one tour company the
whole time. I could see having one company for Ngorongoro, then
catching the plane on our own to Rwanda, getting our own hotel for a
day or two then meeting up with the next compnay for gorillas. I would
do this to save the $$$. I have roughed it in India, Cambodia and
Thailand.

All thoughts appreciated.

[1] Have you thought of joining an Overlanding trip? There are quite a few
apparently reliable overland companies operating out of the UK and
presumably there must be some American ones too? Someone will hopefully be
able to advise on overlanding. Trouble with that is it might take time to
find the trip whose itinerary most closely matches what you want to do.

Good luck!

Slainte

Liz

--
Virtual Liz now at http://www.v-liz.com
Kenya; Tanzania; Namibia; India; Seychelles; Galapagos
Old March 8th, 2005, 12:19 AM
Dave Patterson

Hi Wayne.. I have acquaintances doing almost
exactly what you are describing at almost the same time
so I know what they have faced in terms of cost.

I did a quick check on airfares using October 5 departure
from the US and October 16 flying home from Kigali - and
since I don't know where you are, I used Chicago as an
example. A good consolidator should sell you that airfare
for no more than $ 1565 t0 $1575, all taxes included.

Coming back sooner - October 14, the fare was $ 70 more.

And depending on availability, you could go into Kigali
and return from Kilimanjaro.

Certain days of the week, Rwanda Express has non-stop
service between Kilimanjaro airport and Kigali. Or, some
flights make an intermediate stop. Don't know the fares,
and you can't buy the tickets anyway in the US, nor use
credit cards.. though by later this year, that may change.

Having said all that, the Ngorongoro Crater is not worth
all that trouble and expense. If experiencing Africa at its
best in early October is your goal, fly into Nairobi and
head for the Masai Mara. Maybe drive back through Nakuru.

If you have time and can fit it into the budget, go to
Samburu. I have clients doing almost exactly what you
are talking about - and I can tell you that you can hardly
do it for the $$$ you are describing. I don't know what
their Rwanda segment cost, but I suspect that adding it
to their time in Kenya (11 nights) has put the total
in the $5200 range. Maybe more. Maybe not.
Plus the airfares, of course.

Old March 8th, 2005, 01:44 AM
travelynn

Below are some websites for economical Africa options.

For Kenya and Tanzania safaris try Tanzania-based Roy's
'::http://www.roysafaris.com/whyroys.html::'
(http://www.roysafaris.com/whyroys.html)
:: ::
::For gorillas in Uganda try Great Lakes::
'www.safari-uganda.com/' (http://www.safari-uganda.com/)

For gorillas in Rwanda try Volcano Safaris
'::http://www.volcanoessafaris.com/index.htm::'
(http://www.volcanoessafaris.com/index.htm)

I'd recommend gorilla tracking in Rwanda. Having done both the
experience was better in Rwanda due to cooler climate (higher altitude)
and less dense foliage for better viewing. You also can witness gorilla
history because the Suza group in Rwanda has twins, the first recorded
wild-born twins to survive. They'll be about 16 months in October. Any
gorilla watching, in either Uganda or Rwanda is excellent.

In October, I believe the migration would be better viewed from the
Mara, rather than the Serengeti. But you never know what the rains or
lack thereof will be, so it is a bit of a guess.

Care to chat more?
:: ::

--
travelynn
travelynn's Profile:

Old March 8th, 2005, 01:47 AM
travelynn

Mixed and matched my previous email.

It is

sorry

Old March 8th, 2005, 02:30 PM
Hans-Georg Michna

On 7 Mar 2005 12:59:44 -0800, "IndyHazle"
wrote:

this year is my last year before my wife and I start having children.

Indy,

just a remark to this line.

We went to east Africa when our youngest son was 3. It can be
done, and it doesn't even cost much more. The small children go
almost for free in many places.

I wrote a little bit about taking children on safari. Please
have a look at http://www.michna.com/kenya.htm .

Of course, small children limit your activities somewhat and
take some attention away, but it's still worth considering.

Keep this in mind for 5 years, then have a look again. (:-)

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.