Egypt to Morroco along the coast. Possible? Impossible?

Old January 5th, 2005, 05:43 PM
Theo

Default Egypt to Morroco along the coast. Possible? Impossible?

Is is possible to travel independently as a British Citizen from Egypt
(Alexandria) to Morroco (Tangier)?

Which borders are open or closed?

Where do you cross the borders? What are the best connections between
cities, what form of transport is best... etc!

Algeria is, I know, a problem. How can I avoid Algeria?

Many Thanks, TG
Old January 5th, 2005, 07:01 PM

"Is is possible to travel independently as a British Citizen from Egypt
(Alexandria) to Morroco (Tangier)?"

If you want to do the whole trip overland, you could theoretically go
from Egypt to (northern) Sudan to Chad to Niger to Mali to Senegal to
Mauritania to Morocco. This would involve slow and difficult travel
through some dangerous and isolated regions, so make sure you know what
you're doing.

If you're willing to fly over Algeria, that makes things a lot easier.
You can cross from Egypt to Libya to Tunisia and then fly to Morocco.
The Libyan visa is a major hassle, so you should apply for it well in
advance of your trip.

Check the Lonely Planet website -

http://lonelyplanet.com/destinations/loc-afr.htm

For each country, the "Getting There and Away" section covers border
crossings.

Old January 6th, 2005, 11:41 AM
dysfunctional

The border between Algeria and Morocco is closed.

See http://www.triotours.com/faq/ma/to-egypt.htm for details, just reverse
the itinerary.

om...