Flying home - what would you do?

Old April 18th, 2004, 09:19 AM
Pizzaman

Default Flying home - what would you do?

We (my wife, myself, two kids 7 & 11) are flying out of Orlando to
catch our SAS-flight from Newark back home to Copenhagen. Our
SAS-flight leaves Newark at 17.50 (same as 5.50 PM ?).

Now, Song or Continental will fly us directly to Newark for 480$
total, while Jetblue or Song will fly us to JFK for only 350$ total.

If we fly to JFK we would of course have to allocate time to transfer
to Newark.

What would you do?

Pizzaman
Old April 18th, 2004, 09:32 AM
mtravelkay

Pizzaman wrote:

We (my wife, myself, two kids 7 & 11) are flying out of Orlando to
catch our SAS-flight from Newark back home to Copenhagen. Our
SAS-flight leaves Newark at 17.50 (same as 5.50 PM ?).

Now, Song or Continental will fly us directly to Newark for 480$
total, while Jetblue or Song will fly us to JFK for only 350$ total.

If we fly to JFK we would of course have to allocate time to transfer
to Newark.

What would you do?

You would also have to allocate money in addition to the time to travel
between the two. So, determine the costs involve and then determine
whether saving $130 (less the transfer costs) is worth the convenience
(to you and your family) of not changing airports.

Old April 18th, 2004, 10:00 AM
alohacyberian

"Pizzaman" wrote in message
m...
We (my wife, myself, two kids 7 & 11) are flying out of Orlando to
catch our SAS-flight from Newark back home to Copenhagen. Our
SAS-flight leaves Newark at 17.50 (same as 5.50 PM ?).

Now, Song or Continental will fly us directly to Newark for 480$
total, while Jetblue or Song will fly us to JFK for only 350$ total.

If we fly to JFK we would of course have to allocate time to transfer
to Newark.

What would you do?

I'd fly to Newark and never discover that the hassles of tranferring to
Newark from JFK weren't worth the little money I'd have saved. KM
--
(-:alohacyberian:-) At my website there are 3000 live cameras or
visit NASA, play games, read jokes, send greeting cards & connect

Old April 18th, 2004, 11:13 AM
Binyamin Dissen

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 09:00:40 GMT "alohacyberian"
wrote:

:"Pizzaman" wrote in message
. com...
: We (my wife, myself, two kids 7 & 11) are flying out of Orlando to
: catch our SAS-flight from Newark back home to Copenhagen. Our
: SAS-flight leaves Newark at 17.50 (same as 5.50 PM ?).

: Now, Song or Continental will fly us directly to Newark for 480$
: total, while Jetblue or Song will fly us to JFK for only 350$ total.

: If we fly to JFK we would of course have to allocate time to transfer
: to Newark.

: What would you do?

:I'd fly to Newark and never discover that the hassles of tranferring to
:Newark from JFK weren't worth the little money I'd have saved. KM

Depends.

I have, on more than one occasion, transferred from JFK to La Guardia.

Depends on the amount of time one has and the amount of money saved.

In the specified case, it would probably require leaving Orlando at least four
hours earlier (do I hear five?) as (1) the luggage cannot be checked thru and
(2) mid-day traffic.

--
Binyamin Dissen
http://www.dissensoftware.com
Old April 18th, 2004, 11:42 AM
Traveller

"Binyamin Dissen" wrote in message

Depends.

I have, on more than one occasion, transferred from JFK to La Guardia.

Which are both the same side of NYC and a LOT closer together than EWR is to
either - that's a ride right across NYC and into NJ.

Depends on the amount of time one has and the amount of money saved.

In the specified case, it would probably require leaving Orlando at least

four
hours earlier (do I hear five?) as (1) the luggage cannot be checked thru

and
(2) mid-day traffic.

You're right there. Plus, I reckon a cab ride or limo from JFK to EWR would
run over $100 - $60 is the going rate from EWR to the city, and around $50
for JFK to the city.

It's not worth it, just fly to EWR - and use CO.

Old April 18th, 2004, 12:46 PM
Kelly Walker

Pay the extra $$$ and fly directly to Newark. Transfers for 4 people will
cost almost as much (maybe even more) than the difference in air fares.

Gloria in Miami

m...

Old April 18th, 2004, 01:34 PM
Steve

"Pizzaman" wrote in message
m...
We (my wife, myself, two kids 7 & 11) are flying out of Orlando to
catch our SAS-flight from Newark back home to Copenhagen. Our
SAS-flight leaves Newark at 17.50 (same as 5.50 PM ?).

Now, Song or Continental will fly us directly to Newark for 480$
total, while Jetblue or Song will fly us to JFK for only 350$ total.

If we fly to JFK we would of course have to allocate time to transfer
to Newark.

What would you do?

Fly directly to EWR (Newark) with Continental. It's not worth the hassle
changing airports between JFK and EWR. If you were changing between LGA
and JFK, that one is not too bad -- but getting out to Newark is time
consuming and expensive from JFK. The additional fare you are spending to
fly into Newark would likely go to ground transportation costs in changing
between the two airports -- then you have to deal with claiming your luggage
at JFK, traffic, tolls, and then checking in all your luggage at EWR again.

With Continental, they should be able to check your luggage all the way
through to CPH and interline your baggage at EWR. Much easier.

Last but not least, there is now a "somewhat" viable public transport route
between JFK and EWR, but I personally wouldn't do it with your wife and two
kids. If it was just yourself and you had some time & patience, then it
could be worth consideration (but would still cost about $30). This option
is to use the JFK AirTrain to Jamaica Station; picking up the LIRR (Long
Island RailRoad) into Penn Station; Transfering to an EWR train at Penn
Station, getting off at the EWR airport station and then taking the EWR
AirTrain to the terminal.

However, if you are not familiar with NYC transport this could prove
extremely confusing -- plus signage is poor and you're looking at buying
multiple tickets from different self-service kiosk machines. In the end,
it'll also be costly for 4 people and you're best just taking the flight and
relaxing at EWR as CO transfers your luggage from their flight to your SAS
flight. (Note with respect to signage: signage is good at Penn Station for
the EWR train, but lacking with the JFK AirTrain to Jamaica Station & LIRR
connection - signage is worse in the other direction going to JFK).

As suggested above: Buy CO tix from Orlando - Newark:

Just be sure to present both tickets to CO when you check-in at Orlando,
advise your final destination is CPH, and tell them you would like it
checked all the way through.. You'll still have to check-in with SAS at
EWR, but your luggage will be in-transit and all SAS should need is to see
your baggage claim receipt(s) when you check-in at EWR to get your CPH
boarding passes. I interline between carriers frequently (even on seperate
tickets) and that is typically the process.

At EWR the transfer will be simple. CO operates out of concourse C, where
you will arrive. SAS operates out of concourse B. Upon arrival, exit the
CO concourse & take the AirTrain from the C concourse to the B concourse.
Just be careful with signage and make sure you get on the AirTrain to
concourse B, as the tram operates between the three concourses as well as
the long term parking lots, car rental areas, and the EWR train station.

Here is a map of the EWR airport for your assistance:

http://www.nwa.com/travel/trave/airports/Newark.shtml

Best,

Steve

Old April 18th, 2004, 01:35 PM
Mark Hewitt

"Pizzaman" wrote in message
m...
We (my wife, myself, two kids 7 & 11) are flying out of Orlando to
catch our SAS-flight from Newark back home to Copenhagen. Our
SAS-flight leaves Newark at 17.50 (same as 5.50 PM ?).

That's tright.

Now, Song or Continental will fly us directly to Newark for 480$
total, while Jetblue or Song will fly us to JFK for only 350$ total.

If we fly to JFK we would of course have to allocate time to transfer
to Newark.

Fly direct. The only way I would do it the other way is if you wanted to fly
there the day before and spend a day in New York.

By the time you get from one to the other you are going to be taking up
several hours and will be struggling to spend less on the transfer than the
money saved. So you will probably end up battling across New York to save
about $30 each!

Old April 18th, 2004, 02:41 PM
Gary C

"Pizzaman" wrote in message
m...

Now, Song or Continental will fly us directly to Newark for 480$
total, while Jetblue or Song will fly us to JFK for only 350$ total.

Is that in U.S. funds?

Old April 18th, 2004, 05:16 PM
Larry Finch

Steve wrote:

At EWR the transfer will be simple. CO operates out of concourse C, where
you will arrive. SAS operates out of concourse B. Upon arrival, exit the
CO concourse & take the AirTrain from the C concourse to the B concourse.
Just be careful with signage and make sure you get on the AirTrain to
concourse B, as the tram operates between the three concourses as well as
the long term parking lots, car rental areas, and the EWR train station.

Here is a map of the EWR airport for your assistance:

http://www.nwa.com/travel/trave/airports/Newark.shtml

As an alternative to the AirTrain, you can walk from Terminal C to B in under 5
minutes. The AirTrain could take that or a little longer. But the AirTrain is
free, so it's more personal preference.

Larry

--
Larry Finch