Excursion Alternatives

Old August 7th, 2004, 02:20 PM
*bicker*

Default Excursion Alternatives

My wife and I have made our first cut at the excursions we'd
take, should we decide to take cruise-line sponsored
excursions at every port-of-call. (We'll probably only do
three or four excursions, total, and may or may not do them
all cruise-line sponsored, depending on how much confidence
we gain in individual excursion provider's reliability, both
in terms of service quality and in terms of getting us back
to the ship in time no matter what...) This is surely one
of the issues that experienced cruisers can really provide a
lot of insight into. All ideas and recommendation would be
greatly appreciated!

St. Thomas
- Cas Cay Eco-Tour Float/Hike/Snorkel

St. Maarten
- Kayaking Snorkel Tour

Antigua
- Forts of Antigua Historical Tour

Barbados
- Rainforest Hike & Cave Adventure

St. Lucia
- Soody Nature Hike & Mineral Waterfall

We know we want to do one combo kayaking/snorkeling
excursion. We took a sea kayaking course locally a couple
of years ago, so recreational kayaking (in waters above 50
degrees F) should be a breeze by comparison. We've never
been snorkeling. Each port has one, it seems, but the
latter three ports seem to have more interesting options
beyond that, so we'll probably want choose one of the first
two. My wife's preference is to do this in St. Thomas,
since it is our first stop, but my preference is to do this
in St. Maarten, since I'd be more leery about walking St.
Maarten without being part of an excursion (which would
likely be the alternative) given that we don't speak Dutch,
French OR Carib. g

The Barbados choice is almost a done-deal for us. It sounds
so incredibly perfect. The St. Lucia choice also sounds
very good, but we're a little taken aback by doing a 7 hour
excursion when the ship is only in port for 9 hours total
(including clearing customs and such, right?)

--
bicker®
http://abcnews.go.com/sections/GMA/D...ry_040602.html
Old August 7th, 2004, 04:12 PM
Chrissy Cruiser

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 09:20:05 -0400, *bicker* wrote:

St. Maarten
- Kayaking Snorkel Tour

Wrong excursion.

Old August 7th, 2004, 05:36 PM
Charles

In article , *bicker*
wrote:

My wife's preference is to do this in St. Thomas,
since it is our first stop, but my preference is to do this
in St. Maarten, since I'd be more leery about walking St.
Maarten without being part of an excursion (which would
likely be the alternative) given that we don't speak Dutch,
French OR Carib. g

You won't have a language problem at any of the ports. You can walk
around St. Maartin with no concerns. I hardly ever take a ships
excursion at any of those ports on your itinerary. St. Maartin and St.
Thomas are the ports where a ship excursion are the most unnecessary.
Since you have never snorkeled though, one of the ships excursions at
St. Thomas would probably be the best introduction. They will give you
instruction. At St. Martaan I would get a taxi driver to take you for
an Island Tour that includes the French side, possibly with a stop at
Orient Beach. Should cost about $45. Skip the idea of snorkeling there.
Antigua, a taxi tour instead of a ship excursion.

--
Charles

Old August 7th, 2004, 09:46 PM
*bicker*

A Sat, 7 Aug 2004 11:12:23 -0400, Chrissy Cruiser
escribió:
On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 09:20:05 -0400, *bicker* wrote:
St. Maarten
- Kayaking Snorkel Tour

Wrong excursion.

Yeah? Why so?

We were set on either this one or the kayaking/snorkeling
excursion on St. Thomas. Has anyone done both?

Old August 8th, 2004, 02:54 AM
Dick Goldhaber

Further excrement from the poster formerly known as Island Gal and Cruising
Chrissy.

When the going gets tough, change your ID.
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ

. ..

Old August 8th, 2004, 04:03 PM
chris

I agree you can do all of these islands without the added expensive of shore
excursions- and this group is very helpful with all the details- st thomas
take the ferry from red hook and snorkle in st john at the national park- st
martin a cab can take you to orient or dawn beach- there are lots of choices
just do the research - and have fun!
"Charles" wrote in message
d...