availability of Western medication in Tibet and China

Old June 4th, 2007, 04:43 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
[email protected]

Default availability of Western medication in Tibet and China

We shall be traveling to Tibet and China (6 weeks) in October/
November. We have to take quite a lot of medicine regularly and the
total amount of pills and ointments to take along for such a period
would exceed 1.5 kg. We would much prefer to carry the amount covering
the first week or so, and buy the rest locally. Does anyone know if
the following are available in these countries, and if so, if they are
prescription or over-the-counter drugs ? Lorazepam 1 mgr,
acetylsalicylic acid 80 or 100 mgr, amlodipine 5 mgr, amoxicillin
+clavulanic acid 500/125; esomeprazol 20 mg; pravastatin 10 mgr;
psyllium/plantago ovata,/plantago ispahula 4 or 6 gr; tamsulosin 0,4
mg. We definitely do not want to experiment with Chinese, or Oriental,
or any alternative form of medication. Thank you for any information.
Jan van Wezer and Oei Tiong Koen

Old June 4th, 2007, 04:58 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
PeterL

On Jun 4, 8:43 am, " wrote:
We shall be traveling to Tibet and China (6 weeks) in October/
November. We have to take quite a lot of medicine regularly and the
total amount of pills and ointments to take along for such a period
would exceed 1.5 kg. We would much prefer to carry the amount covering
the first week or so, and buy the rest locally. Does anyone know if
the following are available in these countries, and if so, if they are
prescription or over-the-counter drugs ? Lorazepam 1 mgr,
acetylsalicylic acid 80 or 100 mgr, amlodipine 5 mgr, amoxicillin
+clavulanic acid 500/125; esomeprazol 20 mg; pravastatin 10 mgr;
psyllium/plantago ovata,/plantago ispahula 4 or 6 gr; tamsulosin 0,4
mg. We definitely do not want to experiment with Chinese, or Oriental,
or any alternative form of medication. Thank you for any information.
Jan van Wezer and Oei Tiong Koen

I would be extremely weary of trying to find these medicine in Tibet.
Recently in the US the government advised throwing out Chinese made
toothpaste. So I would not trust any kind of medicine you find in
China. Carry your own.

Old June 4th, 2007, 09:36 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
GN

On Jun 4, 11:43 am, " wrote:
We shall be traveling to Tibet and China (6 weeks) in October/
November. We have to take quite a lot of medicine regularly and the
total amount of pills and ointments to take along for such a period
would exceed 1.5 kg. We would much prefer to carry the amount covering
the first week or so, and buy the rest locally. Does anyone know if
the following are available in these countries, and if so, if they are
prescription or over-the-counter drugs ? Lorazepam 1 mgr,
acetylsalicylic acid 80 or 100 mgr, amlodipine 5 mgr, amoxicillin
+clavulanic acid 500/125; esomeprazol 20 mg; pravastatin 10 mgr;
psyllium/plantago ovata,/plantago ispahula 4 or 6 gr; tamsulosin 0,4
mg. We definitely do not want to experiment with Chinese, or Oriental,
or any alternative form of medication. Thank you for any information.
Jan van Wezer and Oei Tiong Koen

It always better to carry your own prescribed medicine wherever you go
(its better practice), because some countries will have different
propotions when they make medication, even a simple fever pill.
--
G - http://ww.vtrip.info - Travel Guide for the Destination you wish

Old June 5th, 2007, 09:12 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article .com,
says...
Lorazepam 1 mgr,

This sounds like a sleeping pill or tranquillizer, possibly something
similar is available locally.

acetylsalicylic acid 80 or 100 mgr,

Isn't this aspirin? Should be available everywhere.

amlodipine 5 mgr,

No idea what this is.

amoxicillin
+clavulanic acid 500/125;

Amoxicillin is an antibiotic. I suspect that it (or something
comparable) is available also in China. No idea what clavulanic acid is
however.

esomeprazol 20 mg;

This sounds like a proton pump inhibitor (i.e. an antiacid). This or
something comparable should be easily available in China.

pravastatin 10 mgr;
psyllium/plantago ovata,/plantago ispahula 4 or 6 gr; tamsulosin 0,4
mg. We definitely do not want to experiment with Chinese, or Oriental,
or any alternative form of medication. Thank you for any information.

Part of the medications you need seem to be generic stuff, available
everywhere, the rest perhaps not. You might bring with you sufficient
supplies of the not so easily to find stuff and only a small supply of
the generic stuff, and buy the extra generic stuff locally. In any case
consult a doctor to see which medicines are generic and which are
specific.
--

Alfred Molon