Dollars vs. Euro

Old May 3rd, 2004, 09:34 PM
Mary Jane

Default Dollars vs. Euro

I am not sure what the Bush administration is doing but I've been noticing
the dollar is on the decline at almost constant rate against the Euro and
many other currencies. Then again, if one thinks about it, the weak dollar
is boosting the profit for the multi-national corporations at the cost of
the ordinary American travellers. And this is consistent with the Bush
policy of helping the rich get richer and the poor get screwed deeper.

When would this insane weakening dollar be over (or stablized)?
Old May 3rd, 2004, 09:55 PM
mrtravelkay

Mary Jane wrote:

I am not sure what the Bush administration is doing but I've been noticing
the dollar is on the decline at almost constant rate against the Euro and
many other currencies.

Are you sure?
The dollar has been at this approximate rate for months.
Currently, it takes over $1.19 to buy a Euro
The Euro has been higher in recent months, so what do you mean by
"almost constant rate"?

Old May 3rd, 2004, 10:01 PM
Juliana L Holm

In rec.travel.europe Mary Jane wrote:
I am not sure what the Bush administration is doing but I've been noticing
the dollar is on the decline at almost constant rate against the Euro and
many other currencies. Then again, if one thinks about it, the weak dollar
is boosting the profit for the multi-national corporations at the cost of
the ordinary American travellers. And this is consistent with the Bush
policy of helping the rich get richer and the poor get screwed deeper.

When would this insane weakening dollar be over (or stablized)?

Um, starting last February when the dollar hit a low where $1.28 bought a
Euro. There has been steady growtht to today, when it is around $1.19 to a Euro.

Looks like strong, steady growth the last 3 months.

--
Julie
**********
Old May 3rd, 2004, 10:09 PM
Miguel Cruz

Mary Jane wrote:
I am not sure what the Bush administration is doing but I've been noticing
the dollar is on the decline at almost constant rate against the Euro and
many other currencies.

You haven't been paying that much attention then - the dollar is up vs rates
earlier in the year.

Then again, if one thinks about it, the weak dollar is boosting the profit
for the multi-national corporations at the cost of the ordinary American
travellers.

"The ordinary American travelers" who spend Euros on their trip are a drop
in the bucket compared to the people who work for companies that export from
the USA.

miguel
Old May 3rd, 2004, 10:09 PM
Lennart Petersen

"Mary Jane" skrev i meddelandet
s.com...
I am not sure what the Bush administration is doing but I've been noticing
the dollar is on the decline at almost constant rate against the Euro and
many other currencies. Then again, if one thinks about it, the weak dollar
is boosting the profit for the multi-national corporations at the cost of
the ordinary American travellers. And this is consistent with the Bush
policy of helping the rich get richer and the poor get screwed deeper.

When would this insane weakening dollar be over (or stablized)?

Depends. What do you value most ? Your own tourist budget or the
possibility of a US export market ?

Old May 3rd, 2004, 10:32 PM
mrtravelkay

Juliana L Holm wrote:

In rec.travel.europe Mary Jane wrote:

I am not sure what the Bush administration is doing but I've been noticing
the dollar is on the decline at almost constant rate against the Euro and
many other currencies. Then again, if one thinks about it, the weak dollar
is boosting the profit for the multi-national corporations at the cost of
the ordinary American travellers. And this is consistent with the Bush
policy of helping the rich get richer and the poor get screwed deeper.

When would this insane weakening dollar be over (or stablized)?

Um, starting last February when the dollar hit a low where $1.28 bought a
Euro. There has been steady growtht to today, when it is around $1.19 to a Euro.

Looks like strong, steady growth the last 3 months.

Agreed, though I think it grew to $1.17 per Euro or so in the last
couple of weeks at one point.

Old May 3rd, 2004, 11:13 PM
Chuckles

Mary Jane wrote in
s.com:

I am not sure what the Bush administration is doing but I've been
noticing the dollar is on the decline at almost constant rate against
the Euro and many other currencies. Then again, if one thinks about
it, the weak dollar is boosting the profit for the multi-national
corporations at the cost of the ordinary American travellers. And this
is consistent with the Bush policy of helping the rich get richer and
the poor get screwed deeper.

When would this insane weakening dollar be over (or stablized)?

The Bush administration is doing this to make exports cheaper and pump up
the economy and increase employment in an election year. Foreign travellers
are not a significant voting constituency, both because of the relatively
small numbers and because your vote won't ultimately be determined by
exchange rates however unhappy you may be about it.

After the election, jobs for ordinary people won't be important any more to
the Bush adminstration. If he is reelected, the dollar will revive.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 11:45 PM
mrtravelkay

Chuckles wrote:

Mary Jane wrote in
s.com:

[...]

In the past few months, the dollar has been recovering, so the "blame it
on the Bush" reason seems to be wavering. If the goal is to lower the
costs of American exports, why is the dollar increasing in value?

Old May 4th, 2004, 12:48 AM
nobody

Miguel Cruz wrote:
You haven't been paying that much attention then - the dollar is up vs rates
earlier in the year.

But ciompared to a year ago, is the US dollar higher or lower than the EURO ?

hint: it wasn't long ago that the USD was worth more than the Euro.

hint: it wasn't long ago that the AUD was worth about 0.50 USD, and is it now
worth about 0.72
It may be down from its high of about 0.80 but still much higher than
last year.

When a government has record deficits and record trade deficits, and a
stagnating economy that has next to "nil" interest rates doesn't attract
foreign investments (although the rumours of rising interest rates will bring
some foreign interest back).

Old May 4th, 2004, 12:59 AM
nobody

mrtravelkay wrote:
In the past few months, the dollar has been recovering, so the "blame it
on the Bush" reason seems to be wavering. If the goal is to lower the
costs of American exports, why is the dollar increasing in value?

The USD dollar fell dramatically. Then foreign governments got involved to
counter the trend, and since then, the USD has stabilised at an acceptable
level and the USA governnent has learned it has limits in how much it can play
with currencies.

Another sign that the USA government's power over the world economy isn't as
big as before and other government's central banks now play a more important
role in controlling world currencies.

Also, when the Bush regime allowed the USD to devalue significantly, they
didn't quite count on OPEC to counter this with rising oil prices to
compensate for the lesser value of the USD. And a rising price of oil during
eelection year isn't good.