Showing ID at the airport - thru the looking glass...

Old March 2nd, 2005, 03:12 PM
Service Tech

"Scott en Aztlán" wrote in message
On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 01:50:31 GMT, "Service Tech"
wrote:

I'm never asked for ID with my credit card, and it's not something I

like.
My Credit Card numbers are hyjacked at least twice a year during travel.

praise the people who ask me for ID.

*cough*BULL*****cough*

Which sentence don't you believe?

Old March 2nd, 2005, 04:15 PM
Jonathan Kamens

Hilary writes:
It's surprising how many people think an unsigned
card is safer,

Why do people think this?
Old March 2nd, 2005, 04:21 PM
Geoff Glave

I've never, not once, been asked for picture ID when checking into hotels --
credit card, yes, ID, no.

*Every* American hotel I've checked into in the past year has asked for photo ID.

Cheers,
Geoff Glave
email: geoff at glave dot org
Vancouver, Canada
Old March 2nd, 2005, 04:28 PM

Flying this past weekend, at La Guardia airport the expiration
date on my driver's license was checked. I know because it was
in a plastic case and there is a slight bend in the plastic
which maked the expiration datae hard to read and I was asked
to remove it from the plastic so they could confirm the
expiration date. Don't know what would have happened to me
if the license was been an expired one.

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, Service Tech wrote:

"JimL" wrote in message
oups.com...
I don't drive, by choice and physical condition, and my driver's
license is expired. Some screeners don't blink when I show it, others
try to hassle, insisting not only on a "government ID," but a "current"
one. I counter that I am not driving the plane and that photo and
name are still me.

The only time you have to worry, is if your Birth Certificate has an
expiration date.

This whole system is a joke.

AMEN

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Katherine Becker "As god is my witness
I thought turkeys could fly"
NEVER SEND A FERRET TO DO A WEASEL's JOB --WKRP

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old March 2nd, 2005, 04:36 PM
Lurker at Large

I think everyone's missing the deeper issue: this country that was
founded on freedom is now passing laws that are secret so that when we are
accused of transgressing them, we're not allowed to see what the law is. This
also prevents us from defending ourselves when accused of breaking the secret
law.

Sharon

Old March 2nd, 2005, 05:03 PM
Service Tech

wrote in message
ighton.edu...

Flying this past weekend, at La Guardia airport the expiration
date on my driver's license was checked. I know because it was
in a plastic case and there is a slight bend in the plastic
which maked the expiration datae hard to read and I was asked
to remove it from the plastic so they could confirm the
expiration date. Don't know what would have happened to me
if the license was been an expired one.

I wonder about that. It's only for ID. It may have expired, but *you*
didn't expire.
Would be a different case at the Rental Car Counter.

Old March 2nd, 2005, 05:11 PM
TOliver

"Lurker at Large" wrote in message

I think everyone's missing the deeper issue: this country that was
founded on freedom is now passing laws that are secret so that when we are
accused of transgressing them, we're not allowed to see what the law is.
This
also prevents us from defending ourselves when accused of breaking the
secret
law.

I suspect that the "law" about which you are so discombobulated simply
doesn't live down to your miserable expectations.

All in all, a regular traveler, I find the TSA tiresome and not
realistically very effective. But then, that's not the real purpose of the
law or the agency, both of which represent a classic political reaction to a
perceived sociopolitical need. The Congress members who overwhelmingly
voted in favor and the administration which put the mechanisms in place, as
clumsily as only governments run by either party can do, acted to assuage
the general public (who on the whole travel rarely by air, but desire some
visible assurance of "safety").

As for your freedoms being eroded, those of us who grew up in the 50s,
recall a time when freedoms were a Hell of a lot more often curtailed than
they are today. The lack of restrictions in today's US society are awesome
compared to what we faced traveling or simply living on our own 50 years
ago. One might not be asked for an ID at the airport, but young couples
were routinely asked to provide evidence of a marriage prior to renting
apartments or even upscale hotel rooms. PreCredit Cards, one carried cash
or travelers checks (the cashing of which seemed all too often to require
ID). Local law enforcement officials were many, many times more obtrusive
and intrusive than today's feds. Young travelers stopping in small towns
where they were unknown were routinely subject to questioining (in cafes,
bus and train stations) which could involve a trip to the police station or
courthouse. Mr. Hoover was in washington, and the freedom of inquiry and
status accorded FBI agents was far more apparent that that available to
"GMen" today. Pre1960s, the "Deans of Students" at most colleges and
universities were far less counselors and advisors than they were kangaroo
tribunals with largely unlimited authority.

Then there were the powers of employers (and often of unions), so enormously
greater than today as to be frightening.

You don't realize how free you are, you simple-minded bint.

TMO