southern California to PHL without DFW?

Old August 28th, 2005, 06:12 AM
The Litwaks

Default southern California to PHL without DFW?

I'm trying to plot a trip to PHL from southern California. All the
routes I've been able to get from American, which is what I'm going to
use, go through DFW. Is that he only way to get across the country on
AA? Obviously, DFW is AA's major hub, but s there o way to go a little
straighter? I t wouldn't be a big deal but I'm going to a conference,
at my own expense, and I either have to get there at 11:39 PM the night
before and spend an extra night in a hotel or arrive at 5:50 PM and be
at the downtown convention center by 7 PM, which I don't think is
possible, even if the plane is perfectly on time, whether I take the
train or a taxi (and I would rather take the train, since it's much
cheaper I gather). Thanks.

Ken

Old August 28th, 2005, 06:26 AM
mrtravel

The Litwaks wrote:

I'm trying to plot a trip to PHL from southern California. All the
routes I've been able to get from American, which is what I'm going to
use, go through DFW. Is that he only way to get across the country on
AA? Obviously, DFW is AA's major hub, but s there o way to go a little
straighter?

Where in SO CAL
A quick glance at the AA.com site (and setting the range to up to 90
miles from LAX) shows LAX-ORD-PHL also.
If from SNA, BUR, LGB, I think you have to go to DFW
Old August 28th, 2005, 06:53 AM
Louis Krupp

The Litwaks wrote:
I'm trying to plot a trip to PHL from southern California. All the
routes I've been able to get from American, which is what I'm going to
use, go through DFW. Is that he only way to get across the country on
AA? Obviously, DFW is AA's major hub, but s there o way to go a little
straighter? I t wouldn't be a big deal but I'm going to a conference,
at my own expense, and I either have to get there at 11:39 PM the night
before and spend an extra night in a hotel or arrive at 5:50 PM and be
at the downtown convention center by 7 PM, which I don't think is
possible, even if the plane is perfectly on time, whether I take the
train or a taxi (and I would rather take the train, since it's much
cheaper I gather). Thanks.

If the conference starts on a Sunday night, and that extra night is a
Saturday night, you might save more on the airfare than you'd spend on
the hotel.

Then there's the red-eye alternative; if you're leaving from LAX, you
can fly overnight to Chicago or Miami, get an early morning flight to
Philadelphia, and arrive around noon. If that's not too early to check
into your hotel, you might get a few hours of sleep before your 7:00 PM
event.

Louis (done the Saturday night thing but not the red-eye)
Old August 28th, 2005, 10:52 AM
Alan S

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 05:12:22 GMT, The Litwaks
wrote:

I'm trying to plot a trip to PHL from southern California. All the
routes I've been able to get from American, which is what I'm going to
use, go through DFW. Is that he only way to get across the country on
AA? Obviously, DFW is AA's major hub, but s there o way to go a little
straighter? I t wouldn't be a big deal but I'm going to a conference,
at my own expense, and I either have to get there at 11:39 PM the night
before and spend an extra night in a hotel or arrive at 5:50 PM and be
at the downtown convention center by 7 PM, which I don't think is
possible, even if the plane is perfectly on time, whether I take the
train or a taxi (and I would rather take the train, since it's much
cheaper I gather). Thanks.

Ken

They also have flights via STL and ORD. Where are you flying
from - SAN, LAX, BUR, LGB, Ont?

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old August 28th, 2005, 09:29 PM
The Litwaks

wrote:

[...]

Hi Alan,

My closest airport is ONT. Since LAX is a couple hours of nasty
traffic away, I'd prefer to not go there. I realize that this may cut
down down my options, and it's not AA's fault that I make that choice.
I could probably more easily leave from SNA than LAX. Thanks.

Ken

Old August 28th, 2005, 09:51 PM
A Guy Called Tyketto

wrote:

[...]

Does it have to be AAL? If flying out of ONT, AWE still has
their runs to PHL via LAS or PHX. SWA also has a nonstop out of LAS to
PHL as well, so you could do that. Both avoid DFW.

BL.
- --
Brad Littlejohn | Email:
Unix Systems Administrator, |

Web + NewsMaster, BOFH.. Smeghead! |
http://www.sbcglobal.net/~tyketto

Old August 29th, 2005, 07:30 AM
Louis Krupp

wrote:

[...]

As far as I can tell, there are no nonstops on any airline from either
SNA or ONT to PHL, and none of the nonstops from LAX are on American.

It looks like you'll have to spend an extra night in a hotel --
somewhere. If you don't mind complicating your life, you could see if
American will let you get a ticket that involves an overnight layover at
DFW; a DFW airport hotel will probably be cheaper than anything in
Philadelphia.

Louis
Old August 29th, 2005, 12:07 PM
Robert J Carpenter

wrote:

I'm trying to plot a trip to PHL from southern California. All

the
routes I've been able to get from American, which is what I'm

going
to use, go through DFW. Is that he only way to get across the
country on AA?

Perhaps you really should consider another airline if schedule matters
to you. An example is that Southest has a non-stop from LAX that
arrives at PHL at 3:30pm. It's a 737 and I find WN's have adequate
legroom. They have a later non0stop which would be too late for you.

USAir probably matches WN.

Their fares run from around $100 to $300 each way "depending".

Old August 29th, 2005, 12:38 PM
Louis Krupp

wrote:

I'm trying to plot a trip to PHL from southern California. All

the

routes I've been able to get from American, which is what I'm

going

to use, go through DFW. Is that he only way to get across the
country on AA?

Perhaps you really should consider another airline if schedule matters
to you. An example is that Southest has a non-stop from LAX that
arrives at PHL at 3:30pm. It's a 737 and I find WN's have adequate
legroom. They have a later non0stop which would be too late for you.

Cutting it a bit closer, it looks like Delta has a flight that leaves
Ontario at 6:15 AM, stops in Salt Lake City, and lands in Philadelphia
at 4:19 PM. The good thing about this itinerary is that the final leg
is long enough so you might be able to get two or three hours of sleep
just before your arrival.

Louis
Old August 29th, 2005, 02:37 PM
Jeff Hacker

wrote:

I'm trying to plot a trip to PHL from southern California. All

the
routes I've been able to get from American, which is what I'm

going
to use, go through DFW. Is that he only way to get across the
country on AA?

Perhaps you really should consider another airline if schedule matters
to you. An example is that Southest has a non-stop from LAX that
arrives at PHL at 3:30pm. It's a 737 and I find WN's have adequate
legroom. They have a later non0stop which would be too late for you.

USAir probably matches WN.

and probably has more nonstops on Airbus equipment, which have video and are
generally more comfortable. . . .