What's your favorite Travel Guides?

Old October 3rd, 2003, 08:27 PM
Bijapuri

Default What's your favorite Travel Guides?

I don't suppose many here have the time or resources or committment, but
here's what I do:
I read a general history of the place to which I am heading. I then look in
the back at bibliography and see if there are any travelogues in reprint
from long ago. Then I read them. That gives me a description of historical
and religious sights to see. THEN I hit LP or Footprints to see what the
scene is there today..
Examples: Travels in the Mogul Empire- Francois Bernier's marvelous
description of North India from the 1600's.
Ibn Battuta (don't have a copy of him here, so I can't cite the name of his
book) The guy was EVERYWHERE a thousand years ago- India, China, and pts in
between.

If you just want beaches and whores, I guess this method soesn't help, but
if you want to find GREAT places to visit, without another westerner for
miles. . . well, it's worked for me for many trips.

Enjoy

BiJ

"Ben" wrote in message
Honduras: Honduras handbook + Elmer travel guides (definitely in dutch,
dunno about english versions)
Ecuador/peru: le routier (french, LP)
Kenia: Rough guide
New Zealand: friends & LP "tramping in NZ"
India: my wife;-), the LP, Rough Guide & Footprint (LP is organized

better,
better maps but generally they're all lacking)
Canada: friends & LP

Basically, i only use the books for the maps and to find out what places

NOT
to go to. I'm always amused by those silly warnings about dangers &
annoyances but if you're completely unprepared it's better to have that

than
nothing.. However, don't put your common sense in second place to what's
written in those books.. observe the people and talk to them to find out
things (esp. in south america). Speaking the language (however little it

may
be) is probably the biggest step to get there.

HTH,

Ben (belgium)

"King" wrote in message
ink.net...
Hi,
Thanks everyone for your opinion. I know everyone has their favorite
guides. They're probably all good in their own way.
How would you rate,

Fodor's

Frommers

Rough Guide

Lonley Planet

other?

Old October 3rd, 2003, 08:39 PM
JohnM

In article et, Brian
K writes

O&A Out and About is a good Gay/Lesbian/Bi/Transgendered travel
guide. They cover just about everything from lodging, air, cruises,
car rental to points of interest for GLBT folk. However in some
markets, they tend to focus on the expensive places to stay and eat.
With a little investigation of the destination the intreped GLBT
traveler can find places that are just as good for less money.

You really want to buy my book, Brian :-)

--
JohnM
Author of Brazil: Life, Blood, Soul

Old October 4th, 2003, 08:29 AM
Brian K

On 10/03/2003 9:42 AM Richard while directing tourists to the Zazu Pits,
was inclined to say:

"Brian K" wrote in message
ink.net...

O&A Out and About is a good Gay/Lesbian/Bi/Transgendered travel
guide. They cover just about everything from lodging, air, cruises,
car rental to points of interest for GLBT folk. However in some
markets, they tend to focus on the expensive places to stay and eat.
With a little investigation of the destination the intreped GLBT
traveler can find places that are just as good for less money.

Okay, this may be OT, it may even start a flame war, and if it does, I
apologise in advance but I'm curious. I can see how places of interest,
especially in the realm of night life, could be different between the GLBT
folk and those who aren't in that category. Even lodging, at times. But how
does advice on air travel or car rental change based on the sexual tendacies
of the person asking for the advice?

Richard

Second Driver - Some Car Rental Companies are now recognizing same sex
partners as equivalent to "spouse drives at no extra cost", whereas
others still charge for second driver.

Most major air carriers recognize diverse groups of people, but some
still are in need of sensitivity training. Likewise most major hotels
are accepting of same sex partners but some may be outright
discriminatory. O&A publishes annual "report cards" on all major air
carriers, cruise lines, hotel and car rentals.

Tour operators are now providing gay friendly or gay/lesbian specific
tours. Some like guesthouses, and restaurants are gay owned and run.
These get reviewed too.

Rather than me just telling you about the resource, you can look at a
sample issue at http://www.outandabout.com

--
________
To email me, Edit "xt" from my email address.

Old October 7th, 2003, 08:54 AM
Bruce Burger

In general I favor Lonely Planet and Frommer's, but of course they
vary from place to place and everyone's interests are different. I've
found extremely valuable tips in just about every guidebook series at
least once.

Lonely Planet is the best for independent travel logistics, and for
low-budget travel. I love the way they're organized. They do list mid-
and upper-price restaurants, but their heart really isn't in that. LP
is also the most fun to read. And it has the best maps.

Moon Publications ("the ___ Handbook") is similar to LP. Depending on
the freshness of the guide and the particular authors involved,
sometimes it's better. But I prefer LP's format and writing.

The Rough Guides and Let's Go also emphasize budget travel. I'd rate
Rough Guides 3rd in this market and Let's Go an amateurish 4th. But
again, I've had trips greatly enhanced by info I've found in each of
these.

Frommer's is best for mid-range hotels and restaurants. For major
cities you can also get their listings on the web. Fodor's is similar,
but not as reliable or comprehensive.

Access Guides is great for wandering in cities (e.g., Paris).

Insight Guides can be fun for photos and background, and may help you
choose areas you want to visit.

And of course there are special-purpose guides for one or a few
destinations (e.g., Guide Michelin, Time Out). These days I always
seek out a book on visiting the destination with kids, which is
invariably not part of a series.

Finally: Consider Guide Routard, a French-language series that all
French backpackers seem to carry. It's like LP but more biting and
with way better taste in food (of course). They have books on all
regions of France and lots of countries frequented by French tourists.
If you can read a little French, give them a try. You can order them
on the web.

Bruce Burger
Seattle, WA, USA
Old October 13th, 2003, 04:05 PM

(Bruce Burger) wrote in message . com...

I agree with much of the message quoted below. In addition, I would
say the Footprint Guides are great for Central and South America. In
the USA, Sasquatch and Menasha Ridge Press offer some great local
guides (Moon, Lonely Planet, Fodor's and others are also good). In
Africa, Australia and Asia Lonely Planet are excellent compared to
others (Moon also has excellent Asian guides). The quality of Guide
books for Europe is the highest of any location and Eyewitness,
Michelin, Rick Steves along with Lonely Planet, Frommer's, Knopf etc..

In addition, there are many special guide series and individual guides
that are excellent such as the Blue Guide series which is great for a
more academic look at historical locations, art and architecture.
Rough Guides are great for many adventerous travelers and Falcon has
great hiking guides.

Curious Cat Travel Books
http://www.curiouscat.com/travel