Air America breaking news: "USA to fingerprint ALL visitors !!!"

Old April 6th, 2004, 10:18 AM
Marie Lewis

Default Air America breaking news: "USA to fingerprint ALL visitors!!!"

"nobody" wrote in message
Stephen Harding wrote:
Since you missed it, the reason for the fingerprinting is to
enhance national security. You know, that 9/11 thing.

It gives the illusion of enhancing security. Secondly, and more

importantly
GET OVER IT. 9-11 was many years ago. Yeah, 3000 were killed that day and

it
was a calamity. You should remember the human suffering and awfull images

of
the day instead of focusing on revenge.

Secondly, when you look at Irak, the USA invaded the country illegally (UN
definitions are very clear: there are only 2 valid reasons to attack

another
country: if it attacks you, or if there is a UN security council

resolution
granting you the right to invade that country.) Neither of those happened

so
the USA invaded it illegally.

In doing so, the USA has not only added about 700 americans to the number

of
dead as a result of 9-11, but also killed about 10,000 Irakis during the

war.

How many more will need to die before your need for revenge is fulfilled ?

And you
might as well get used to the idea too. Biometric passports
are on the way, as soon as some kind of biometric standard can
be agreed upon. Fingerprints, retinal scans, DNA, whatever.

The keyword here is "can be agreed upon". As soon as the fear mongering

Bush
regime is ousted within the next 4 years, it is far more likely that some
system garanteeing data security could be agreed upon. (for instance, your
prints are not in passport but rather in your home country, and the

receiving
country would send your information to your home country for verification

and
would only get "YES" or "NO" with a garantee that the receiving country

will
NOT hold your biometric information.

The same way that merchants who accept EFTPOS transactions are garanteed

not
to hold/capture your PIN number.

I realize 3000 people, largely Americans, killed in a terror
incident probably doesn't effect you too much, but we consider
it a rather traumatic event here.

Why then do you consider not dramatic that your own government has

illegally
invaded another country unnecessarily ("we told you so") and has killed

about
700 of your won citizens unnecessarily, as well as ten thousands innocent
Irakis ?

Al Queda made no pretentions about being a civilised organisation. The USA
pretends to be civilised. It must be held to higher standards than Al

Queda.

Isn't the UK supposed to start issuing national ID cards soon?
You must be in a tizzy!

There is nothing wrong with a national ID card. A government already has

all
that information on you. But you are protected as a citizen of the country
that holds your information. You are not protected if that information is

sent
to some foreign antion that has no data privacy laws.

Example: if to launch a nuclear missile, a general must put his thumb on a
reader, do you think that he will agree to have his prints taken when he
travels to a foreign country for vacation ?

Perhaps because they aren't targets of terror the way the
US is?

Ever wondered WHY you are such a target ? Hint, it isn't because you

aren't
muslim, as your media like to make you think.

I am no longer reading or answering posts from that idiot Harding, so thank
you for your reasoned and logical replies.
He really is so prejudiced and illogical that one cannot waste one's time on
him. You have the patience to explain to him. I admire that. However,
his knowledge, like so many of his compatriots (thankfully, not all) is
limited and chauvinist. I fear one cannot argue with such people.

Old April 6th, 2004, 10:21 AM
Marie Lewis

"The Reids" wrote in message
Following up to The Reids

I am coming around to absolutely despising Europeans, or
at least a fairly large subset of them!

f*** off out of travel europe then
--

sorry, that's excessively impolite, please go away.

On pourrair peut-etre lui dire de nous foutre la paix?

Old April 6th, 2004, 10:35 AM
Marie Lewis

"Tim Kroesen" wrote in message
link.net...
Perhaps those critical to Americans should just 'go away' too...

Tim K

Well, that is certainly what your government is after.

Some people cannot deal with any criticism.
In American schools there is far too mush "Show and Tell" and not nearly
ebough "Watch and Listen" I fear.
"Show and Tell" is just show off.

Old April 6th, 2004, 10:47 AM
Marie Lewis

"Richard Steiner" wrote in message
Here in rec.travel.air,
"Marie Lewis" spake unto us, saying:

The Frenc have a word for it: chauvinism. That is what we are seeing
in the USA now: "my leader right or wrong!"

The majority of people that I know in my area of the US are simply not
in agreement with many of the current administration's policies, and
some are in very strong disagreement.

I find it somewhat shocking that citizens of the US are being portrayed
as all lining up behind their leadership. That simply isn't happening.

I am pleased to hear it. However, most Americans who post here are, indeed
chauvinist. Perhaps you could have a word with them?

And, unfortunately, were we so stupid as to visit the USA at present, it
would be against your elected (?) government's policies that we would
come up.

Old April 6th, 2004, 11:00 AM
The Reids

Following up to Richard Steiner

The majority of people that I know in my area of the US are simply not
in agreement with many of the current administration's policies, and
some are in very strong disagreement.

I find it somewhat shocking that citizens of the US are being portrayed
as all lining up behind their leadership. That simply isn't happening.

the news we get is the election race is 50-50
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
Old April 6th, 2004, 11:04 AM
The Reids

Following up to Marie Lewis

sorry, that's excessively impolite, please go away.

On pourrair peut-etre lui dire de nous foutre la paix?

now, what did Marie just say about showing off?
Old April 6th, 2004, 01:24 PM
Stephen Harding

James Robinson wrote:

Stephen Harding wrote:

There are many policy differences between the US and Europe.
When you become an American citizen you can indeed ask that
question, and use your freedoms to promote your ideas of
what government should do. Until then, its an internal matter
for the US to decide. Tough luck for you.

Kind of like how the US left countries like Cuba, Iran, Honduras, Chile,
Argentina, Grenada, Egypt, and many others, to chart their own course
when they were democracies?

Not certain when most of these listed countries were actual democracies,
but never mind.

The policies of the Bush government have only increased that likelihood,
by acting unilaterally, and in continuing the biased treatment of Arab
countries in the region. At one time the US had a moral standing in the
world that was envied. It was the belief that diplomacy was the most
important approach to a problem, and violence was only the last resort,
when all other peaceful avenues had been exhausted. The attack on Iraq
has eliminated that unique position, and lowered the US to the ranks of
other bullies around the world. It was so unnecessary, and it will take
many years to regain the confidence of the rest of the world.

How could this be given "Cuba, Iran, Honduras, Chile, ..." listed above?

SMH

Old April 7th, 2004, 04:47 PM
Marie Lewis

"devil" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 19:08:54 +0100, Marie Lewis wrote:

"devil" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 10:01:28 +0100, Marie Lewis wrote:

"devil" wrote in message
news On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 23:27:54 +0200, AJC wrote:

Patriotism can be a great force for good and bad. Throughout

history
extremists on the left and the right have used it to their

advantage.

Excitation of nationalist feelings is always bad. "Patriotism" is

just
convenient word to make it sound otherwise.

No matter what, it's an "us vs. them" thing.

The Frenc have a word for it: chauvinism. That is what we are seeing

in
the
USA now: "my leader right or wrong!"

That's not really what chauvinism is though.

Chauvinism is more like a grassroot feeling that "we" are the center of
the universe..

Chauvinism derives from one Nicolas Chauvin, a devoted admirer of

Napoleon,
right or wrong.

Sure. Still, in everyday use, it's what I said above.

Not in the "everyday use" of those who really know what it means.

Old April 7th, 2004, 05:03 PM
Chad Irby

In article ,
AJC wrote:

Let me get this straight. Washington said we're going to invade Iraq
because of their WMDs, we want you to support us.

Nope. And if that's what you think*was* said, it just shows that you
didn't follow any of the arguments at *all* last spring.

While most of Europe tried to make WMDs the be-all and end-all of the
argument, that's not what happened.

cirby at cfl.rr.com

Slam on brakes accordingly.
Old April 8th, 2004, 02:25 PM
Marie Lewis

"Alan Pollock" wrote in message
In rec.travel.usa-canada James Robinson wrote:

My point was simply to challenge the view that the US medical system is
vastly superior to that in other countries. It's good, but it is far
from perfect.

I don't think the numbers really clarify a lot about health care.

I would not expect them to do so. They do not reflect your views.