Please help me with traveling in Europe.

Old July 15th, 2004, 08:48 PM
C T

Default Please help me with traveling in Europe.

Is it true, I cannot, as an American, fly into Germany, buy a car, and then
drive it?

I can't buy a car because I'm not a resident?

Some one please help me?

Old July 15th, 2004, 09:13 PM
Martin Stock

Of course you can buy a car. Problem is rather registration and insurance.
What is possible:
a) to get an export license plate and subsequently export the car by
yourself
cons: you can drive this car only for sometime in Germany (14 days?) than
you have to leave Germany and not re-enter it (which may be tricky because
of the location of Germany). From the point you leave the EU the car is
"exported" and again it's not possible to return (thus Germany -
Switzerland - Italy is not possible).
This is mainly for people who buy a used car in Germany and export it on
their own (land based) to somewhere in the East of Europe. Not really for a
tourist trip through Europe.
Quite some paperwork. The car must also fulfill the requirements of the
destination country which may add some further costs.
Rule of thumb: exporting a car from Germany to the US or in the opposite
direction: add 25-30% for taxes, fees, shipping
b) check the European delivery schemes of the car manufacturers
e.g. http://www.bmwusa.com/Joy/EuropeanDelivery/
Here the manufacturer takes care of the issues addressed in a)

Old July 15th, 2004, 09:18 PM
Jens Arne Maennig

C T wrote:

Is it true, I cannot, as an American, fly into Germany, buy a car, and then
drive it?

I can't buy a car because I'm not a resident?

1. You can, of course, buy a car in Germany.

2. To register a car in Germany, you need

2.1 a residence

2.1.1 to get a residence, you need a residence permit

2.1.1.1 the easiest way to get a residence permit is to get
married to a local girl

2.1.1.1.1 to get married to a local girl, you have
to know one

2.2 a proof of a third party insurance for the car
(Versicherungsbestätigungskarte)

2.2.1 to find an insurance that will insure your car, it is
pretty helpful to have at least a residence permit, however
a german passport would be better

2.3 a proof of roadworthiness of the car
("TÜV-Bericht"/Hauptuntersuchung/HU)

2.4 a proof of an exaust emission check (Abgasuntersuchung/AU)

2.5 money

Have fun. If it's just about buying a car and driving around, go
elsewhere. I's easier anywhere but in Germany.

Sorry.

Jens
Old July 15th, 2004, 09:36 PM
tim

"C T" wrote in message
Is it true, I cannot, as an American, fly into Germany, buy a car, and

then
drive it?

I'm sure they'll let you buy a car but.....

I can't buy a car because I'm not a resident?

You won't be able to register it, so you won't be able
to insure it.

There might be a solution to this, there are plenty of
non-germans who pick-up their new BMW at the factory
so they must have arranged insurance beforehand

tim

Old July 15th, 2004, 10:32 PM
tile

you can have a special PLATE called ZOLL plate..
it is exactly for non residents and you do not pay V.A.T
I think that you have the right to keep that car one year
after that you will have to pay v.a.t

there are special duty free car dealers in Holland, but I guess they are
everywhere.
to take a car to the USA you need special specifications

but I am sure it will be no problem ordering a car with USA specification.

Old July 15th, 2004, 11:24 PM
HDFATBOY1340CC

How about going to Portugal
what beautifull country there is
good food, friendly people nice pussy

check with this guy

www.mannysplace.net

Old July 16th, 2004, 12:27 AM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

C T wrote:

Is it true, I cannot, as an American, fly into Germany, buy a car, and then
drive it?

I can't buy a car because I'm not a resident?

Some one please help me?

Has the situation changed in the past thirty years? I knew people who
did just that, with no repercussions, but it WAS a long time ago!

Old July 16th, 2004, 12:31 AM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

PTRAVEL wrote:

I do know this -- any American Mercedes dealership can arrange for you to
purchase a Mercedes from the factory in Germany, pick it up there and drive
it around Europe, and then have it shipped home to the States.

Yes, I think that's how my acquaintances arranged it, years ago.
Actually, that was when "fuzzy dice" hung over the rear-view mirror were
a fad here. The man's office staff bought a pair and sent them to the
factory, with a request that they be installed on the car their employer
was buying. (The factory did them one better - they installed a special
chromium-plated hook, just for the dice!)

Old July 16th, 2004, 12:50 AM
randee

Similarly for Porsche and BMW and AFAIR, Ferrari and Lamborghini.
--
wf.