Holiday in mid October to Thailand

Old February 26th, 2004, 07:51 AM
Pamela

Default Holiday in mid October to Thailand

Hope someone can help. My husband and I are hoping to travel to
Thailand in mid October and we need some advice about where to go.
Last year we spent 2 weeks in Phuket at the end of September and now
we are addicted to Thailand.

I would like to go somewhere which has plently of excursions to keep
us busy, last year we did quite a few and it was great since neither
of us are beach people or sun worshippers. The other essential
ingredient is a spa, this is a must. We stayed at the Holiday Inn in
Phuket last year and I found their spa and the whole hotel out of this
world.

I have been looking at Hua Hin, Krabi, Pattaya and Koh Samui. We
would like somewhere which isn't crammed full of people that is why we
aren't going till October.

I have heard mixed reviews of Hua Hin and have also heard that there
has been an escalation of the number of muggings on tourists so that
has put me off Pattaya.

Thanks
Pamela
Old February 26th, 2004, 08:24 AM
Mike987

Pattaya is hell on earth - a place for sex tourists.

If you're not beach people, why aren't you looking beyond the beach
resorts? Places like Chiang Mai (Thailand's cultural heart), Chiang
Rai (interesting tribal villages), even Bangkok (magnificent temples
and great shopping) for a few days. Then there are Sukhothai,
Ayuthaya, and numerous other towns with ancient monuments. And
Kanchanaburi, with poignant war graves and nearby waterfalls.

By sticking to the beaches you're really missing out on the best that
Thailand has to offer.

Old February 26th, 2004, 11:52 PM
Roger

Agree with this response....forget Pattaya! Chiang Mai is an excellent
choice...can be the home base for many excursions! ...and they have many
enjoyable spa's!!

Old February 27th, 2004, 08:13 AM
Pamela

Thanks for your responses. I'm not a beach person but I do like to
see the ocean since I live in a land locked country it is a refreshing
change.

One of the reason I seleceted Hua Hin was not really for the resort
but based on the number of interesting excursions which we could do
from there, eg River Kwai, Burma, floating market etc.

Does Chang Mai have an airport? What kind of excursions could we do
from there? I don't really fancy a long transfer from Bangkok after a
10-11 hour flight.

Cheers
Pamela

Old February 27th, 2004, 09:32 AM
Michael Christoffersen

"Pamela" wrote in message
om...
Thanks for your responses. I'm not a beach person but I do like to
see the ocean since I live in a land locked country it is a refreshing
change.

One of the reason I seleceted Hua Hin was not really for the resort
but based on the number of interesting excursions which we could do
from there, eg River Kwai, Burma, floating market etc.

Does Chang Mai have an airport? What kind of excursions could we do
from there? I don't really fancy a long transfer from Bangkok after a
10-11 hour flight.

Hi Pamela,

Yes, CM does have an airport and there are plenty of daily flights directly
from Bkk. Even a direct flight to Phuket as well.

Staying in Hua Hin doesn`t really offer as many interesting excursions as
elsewhere. River Kwai, floating market in Damnoen Saduak and Burma all these
places are nowhere near Hua Hin. River Kwai and Damnoen Saduak are both to
the north or northwest of bkk. The closest point of entry to Burma (which
is the only entry point to Burma on the peninsula) is Victoria Point (only
for one day visit) in Ranong, which is considerably further to the south or
you would have to fly out of bkk directly to yangoon.

Whileas I agree that CM offers a wide array of interesting excursions,
shopping, cultural stuff etc. may I suggest that you also consider the
southern province of Krabi. I lived 6 months in Krabi and I haven`t seen it
all yet although I travelled extensively all over the province.
Krabi IMO has it all. Caves, waterfalls, stunning coral fringed islands,
outstanding limestone formations, national parks, temples, mangroves, rivers
for rafting etc. etc.
The city of Krabi is situated on the river bank and offers very affordable
accomodation whileas beach accomos are somewhat more expensive and crowded
(Ao Nang, Railay, Pranang) unless you pick Hat Noppharat Thara beach or some
of the other beaches further north which are laidback and non crowded.

Trang, 150 km further to the south from Krabi offers much the same with only
a small percentage of the tourists of Krabi.

Cheers
Michael Christoffersen