2 questions on Venice vaporetti

Old June 14th, 2005, 10:37 PM
Rog'

"Zichu" wrote:...
... Here is a direct quote lifted from the VeniceCard site:
//IF YOU ARRIVE BY PLANE. You can buy VENICEcard
which includes the Alilaguna shuttle service by motoboat, to
and from the airport on arrival and departure.//

My comment was that the 24 or 72-hour ACTV passes do not
include Aliliguna. Your comment about the VeniceCard is a
separate and unrelated issue, to wit...

Venice Cards (orange+blue, my college's school colors) include
the Aliliguna boats, but only (it appears) if you select that as an
add-on for which you pay a supplement that, strangely enuff, is
the same amount as the fare you would pay at the Aliliguna dock.
These are sold by VELA and, even if you reserve cards (as I did),
you may arrive to find their office closed (as I did). So, we said,
"Screw 'em" and bought ACTV passes instead.

The ACTV passes cover slow boats only, not Aliliguna. For us,
they turned out to be a better deal. We paid for Dodge's Palace,
the altar in St. Mark's, restrooms on Burano (50c), the Aliliguna,
separately, and came out ahead. =R=

Old June 14th, 2005, 11:08 PM
Zichu

"ALAN HARRISON" wrote in message

This is, however, a tourist-oriented card, possibly worthwhile in
including
access to some museums, but much more expensive than ordinary ACTV passes.
You may find these at
http://www.actv.it/english/navigazione.php?pagina=tariffe_vaporetto

You probably missed the bit where it says:

//The "CartaVenezia" fare was introduced for people travelling frequently on
Actv's water buses, and applies to passengers holding a "CartaVenezia"
document, to which only residents in the Veneto Region are entitled. The
"CartaVenezia costs ? 8,00 and is valid for three years. It can be bought by
producing a valid document certifying residence. A passport-size photo must
be attached to the application form.//

Not a lot of people visiting Venice, and who post requests for information
on this NG, can supply a valid document certifying residence in the Veneto
Region.

I had a CartaVenezia when I stayed there about 10 years ago but it is now no
longer possible to get one unless you are a genuine resident of the Region.

The blu card cost me Euro 51.00 for seven days and, IMHO, was cheap at the
price. It gives access to all the Actv's services in addition to free use of
toilets. No museums. Apart from the convenience of being able to hop on and
off different lines, it saves having to make a major project out of getting
around the lagoon.

I have to say that if it were that important to me to save 10 cents, or
whatever currency you use, on buying the most economical ticket for the trip
from the airport, I wouldn't have gone to Venice but to Florida or some
other cheapo destination.

Old June 15th, 2005, 09:07 AM
ALAN HARRISON

"Zichu" wrote in message

"ALAN HARRISON" wrote in message

You probably missed the bit where it says:

//The "CartaVenezia" fare was introduced for people travelling frequently
on Actv's water buses, and applies to passengers holding a "CartaVenezia"
document, to which only residents in the Veneto Region are entitled.

No, I didn't miss that bit. Holders of a Carta Venezia get a reduction on
ticket prices, but ACTV's ordinary tickets and passes (going on my
experience some years ago) are cheaper than those advertised for the
VeniceCard. It may, however, be worthwhile purchasing one if the museum
entry fees will be a significant part of the OP's costs for his trip.

Alan Harrison

Old June 15th, 2005, 09:27 AM
The Reids

Following up to Padraig Breathnach

1. Can I get a vaporetti from the airport down the grand canal to St Marks
Square?

Yes (but it's a vaporetto; vaporetti is the plural)

Oops! I didn't read the question carefully enough. Douglas is right.

Is he? "A vaporetti" sounds odd to me, but I can see how it makes
sense, I suppose cross language grammar rules are going to be
difficult. Perhaps we need Magda to ajudicate.
--
Mike Reid
Wasdale-Thames path-London-Photos "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Old June 15th, 2005, 11:03 AM
Padraig Breathnach

The Reids wrote:

Following up to Padraig Breathnach

1. Can I get a vaporetti from the airport down the grand canal to St Marks
Square?

Yes (but it's a vaporetto; vaporetti is the plural)

Oops! I didn't read the question carefully enough. Douglas is right.

Is he? "A vaporetti" sounds odd to me, but I can see how it makes
sense, I suppose cross language grammar rules are going to be
difficult. Perhaps we need Magda to ajudicate.

It was the "yes" I was withdrawing, not the bit in brackets.

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED
Old June 15th, 2005, 11:19 AM
AJH

Everyone keeps talking about "THE airport" like there is only one
(Marco Polo). Beware, Easyjet and Ryanair fly into Treviso and call it
Venice, which is a 45-minute bus ride away.

Old June 15th, 2005, 11:24 AM
Miss L. Toe

"AJH" wrote in message
ups.com...
Everyone keeps talking about "THE airport" like there is only one
(Marco Polo). Beware, Easyjet and Ryanair fly into Treviso and call it
Venice, which is a 45-minute bus ride away.

Actually easyjet use Marco Polo.

Old June 15th, 2005, 12:16 PM
Zichu

"ALAN HARRISON" wrote in message

Holders of a Carta Venezia get a reduction on
ticket prices, but ACTV's ordinary tickets and passes (going on my
experience some years ago) are cheaper than those advertised for the
VeniceCard.

Not so. A three day pass is Euro 22.00 and a single day is Euro 10.50. In my
case it would have cost me Euro 54.50 for a week instead of Euro 51.00 +
bodily functions benefits but no museums.

Since I stayed there for two weeks it cost me Europe 102.00 whereas it would
have cost me Euro 109.00 for the normal Actv pass. The saving of Euro 5.00
was not really an issue. The convenience was the deciding factor.

A single ticket is Euro 3.50 but you can't go on the Grand Canal which will
cost you Euro 5.00 a pop.

IMHO the most hassle free way of getting from Venice airport is by bus. ATVO
run a regular service from Venice Airport (Either flavour) to p.le Roma
including as much luggage as you can manage. The Marco Polo route costs Euro
3.50 and goes ever half hour, taking about 20 minutes, from in front of the
arrivals hall and is well signposted. The Treviso bus goes about every two
hours or so and takes about an hour.

http://www.atvo.it/eng/indexen.php

Old June 15th, 2005, 12:28 PM
Italian Job

"The Reids" ha scritto nel messaggio
Following up to Padraig Breathnach

1. Can I get a vaporetti from the airport down the grand canal to St

Marks
Square?

Yes (but it's a vaporetto; vaporetti is the plural)

Oops! I didn't read the question carefully enough. Douglas is right.

Is he? "A vaporetti" sounds odd to me, but I can see how it makes
sense, I suppose cross language grammar rules are going to be
difficult. Perhaps we need Magda to ajudicate.
--

Mike Reid
Wasdale-Thames path-London-Photos "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can

email us@ this site
Eat-walk-Spain "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" -- dontuse@ all, it's a

spamtrap

Hi, i can help too on that.
Singular is "Il Vaporetto" (the vaporetto) or, "Un Vaporetto" A vaporetto
Plural is " I Vaporetti"

Ciao!!

LauraFromRome

Old June 15th, 2005, 02:30 PM
Rog'

"Zichu" wrote:
IMHO the most hassle free way of getting from Venice airport
is by bus. ATVO run a regular service from Venice Airport
(Either flavour) to p.le Roma including as much luggage as you
can manage.

Perhaps. But have you ever had to stand in rusty Vaporetto #82
with luggage, packed in like sardines becoming overly intimate
with those next to you, in the middle of a sweltering afternoon?
The Aliliguna was a delight by comparison. =R=