Tough Choice and advice for the Caribbean...

Old January 13th, 2006, 04:04 AM posted to rec.travel.caribbean

Default Tough Choice and advice for the Caribbean...

Hello,

Got a tough choice ahead of me. Can anyone help?

Looking to choose a 4-night getaway from the following islands:

1. Bahamas or...
2. Bermuda or...
3. Barbados

Why the tough choice? I can't tell which island will suit my desires best,
not having been to anyone of them.

I'm looking for the most "foreign" island from the three, a place that
doesn't remind me of the U.S. (where I'd be traveling from) and has a
native/local feel to it and it's not overrun by U.S. tourists that would
take away from the feeling that you've gotten away from the States! (having
tourists of other nationalities are fine).

All 3 of these places look to have really gorgeous beaches, island
activities and hotels and that's all I really need anyway.

I'm only looking at these 3 places because they have such excellent deals
from New York (something like $89 one-way to any of these places!).

Thank You!

Brett

PS: I never got a bottom-line answer from those i've asked, about what the
difference between these 3 islands really is??

Old January 13th, 2006, 11:40 AM posted to rec.travel.caribbean

IMHO if you are looking for the most NON US experience than go to
Barbados. Rent a car and explore. Read the reviews and select a nice
hotel that you can return to each day and enjoy the facilities but
Barbados offers some extraordinary raw beauty and while there will be
US tourist, UK and the like I think it is a gorgeous island - food is
generally fantastic. Take lots of film. I just won a free trip and
event though the resort might be iffy I am thrilled because I love the
island itself and there is a lot of diversity in vantage points.

Definitely rent a car!!!!!

I have only been to Grand Bahams and Paradise Island - ver
commercialized where I was.

I hear Bermuda is lovely but more expenisve. My friends who go to
Bermuda all the time are the golf-type, resort types who want and need
5 star with say, aromatherapy etc....

Old January 13th, 2006, 11:50 AM posted to rec.travel.caribbean

In article ,
Brett writes
[...]

By your criteria there is only one answer... that's Barbados. Bermuda is
v. American and expensive. Bahamas also extremely US style and with over
80% of the tourist from the US that's not unnatural - even the Outer
Islands. Barbados is very different culturally, climatically and
geographically and the volume of US tourists is minimal in comparison to
the other islands you mention. No argument - with your rationale it has
to be Barbados.

TomW.
--
Tom Withycombe
Dorset/UK

Old January 13th, 2006, 08:39 PM posted to rec.travel.caribbean

There is no comparison Barbados.

Dilly

http://home.comcast.net/~itsdilly/
http://community.webshots.com/user/savalier
People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did, but
people will never forget how you made them feel.

Old January 14th, 2006, 03:39 AM posted to rec.travel.caribbean

Default Thanks --- How are the Hotels?

very good, Barbados it is for me! I'm glad the choice was an easy one for
you guys to spot. Thanks.

Btw, is it my imagination that I cannot find *any* of the chain hotels
(Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, etc) located in Barbados - not that I want to stay
at one but just to get an idea of a standard hotel price down there.

and speaking of...any hotel recommendations (not too pricey, 3/4 stars type,
beachfront).

Thanks.

Old January 14th, 2006, 05:19 AM posted to rec.travel.caribbean

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 02:39:47 GMT, "Brett"
wrote:

very good, Barbados it is for me! I'm glad the choice was an easy one for
you guys to spot. Thanks.

Btw, is it my imagination that I cannot find *any* of the chain hotels
(Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, etc) located in Barbados - not that I want to stay
at one but just to get an idea of a standard hotel price down there.

and speaking of...any hotel recommendations (not too pricey, 3/4 stars type,
beachfront).

Thanks.

www.barbados.org

I can't believe Leif hasn't chimed in on this one...