Visiting USA - criminal conviction

Old July 15th, 2005, 08:11 AM
mac2005

Default Visiting USA - criminal conviction

I am travelling to the US fairly soon. I have minor (cannabis) drug
convictions (2) from about 30 years ago. Options:
1. Check the no convictions box on the form
2. Check the convictions box on the form

Does anyone know if the US immigration has access to the Wanganui
computer data (either directly or someone checking when you leave the
country and advising them)

Anyone have an recent experiences of exercising either option.

Anyone know how US immigration will react with a Yes in the convictions
box.

Thanks
Mac

Old July 15th, 2005, 09:18 AM
Stimp

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 mac2005 wrote:
I am travelling to the US fairly soon. I have minor (cannabis) drug
convictions (2) from about 30 years ago. Options:
1. Check the no convictions box on the form
2. Check the convictions box on the form

Does anyone know if the US immigration has access to the Wanganui
computer data (either directly or someone checking when you leave the
country and advising them)

Anyone have an recent experiences of exercising either option.

Anyone know how US immigration will react with a Yes in the convictions
box.

You will be grilled extensively, but probably safer to tell the truth
since they WILL do a background check and the offence is probably quite
likely to appear.

Bring along some paperwork, if you have any, relating to the offence.

The fact that it was 30 years ago and a relatively minor offence would
probably let you through immigration though.

--

"I hear ma train a comin'
.... hear freedom comin"
Old July 15th, 2005, 10:37 AM
Al Bennett

"mac2005" wrote in message
ups.com...

I am travelling to the US fairly soon. I have minor (cannabis) drug
convictions (2) from about 30 years ago. Options:
1. Check the no convictions box on the form
2. Check the convictions box on the form

You don't really even have that choice anymore - and I certainly
wouldn't reccommend travelling without an actual visa, or at the
minimum checking if you require one.
If you're from a Visa Waiver Program country and have a criminal
record, you can no longer enter under the VWP program.
You *must* actually apply for a visitor Visa and attend interviews
and background checks if needed through the U.S.
Consulate/Embassy beforehand.
It's not even worth trying to cheat the system as their background
database checks are *extremely* thorough these days.
Through my job experiences, I can give you umpteen dozen
examples of denied entry - including a 76 year old Granny who
was denied *transit* (not even entering, just in transit) the USA at
the inspection check and sent straight back on the next flight to
where she had come from. She had failed to declare a very minor
conviction some 20+ years ago. I can also give umpteen
examples of denied visa applications due to criminal history
as well.
Not trying to be the scaremonger, just simply laying out how
nitty gritty the Americans are these days - things are so tight right
now, even holding a simple non-machine readable passport means
you are required to manually apply for a visa.
Your conviction was such a long time ago, you may not even need
to go past the query stage.

To quote from the Australian U.S. Embassy information www
pages -
"Some travelers are not eligible by law to enter the United States.
These include people with certain serious communicable illnesses, criminal records
(particularly those involved with drugs), previous deportations from the U.S.,
certain visa refusals and other problems
with U.S. immigration laws or visas. Such travelers may apply for
specially annotated visas; but they may not use the visa waiver
program. If they attempt to travel visa-free, they will be refused
entry into the United States."

http://usembassy-australia.state.gov...isawaiver.html
And
http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/tem...hout_1990.html

Old July 15th, 2005, 08:33 PM
Keith W

"mac2005" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am travelling to the US fairly soon. I have minor (cannabis) drug
convictions (2) from about 30 years ago. Options:
1. Check the no convictions box on the form
2. Check the convictions box on the form

Does anyone know if the US immigration has access to the Wanganui
computer data (either directly or someone checking when you leave the
country and advising them)

Anyone have an recent experiences of exercising either option.

Anyone know how US immigration will react with a Yes in the convictions
box.

They'll almost certainly refuse you entry under the visa waiver program.

The proper procedure is to apply to the US Embassy for an entry
visa declaring the convictions. You'll need details of the court cases
and sentences passed.

Keith